PDA

View Full Version : ray way quilts any thoughts

fred1diver
10-18-2010, 17:18
ok guys and gals, what do you think about the ray way quilts, are they worth it or should I keep looking?
I've never had a quilt and I would like to get one to lighten the load a bit (especially for winter )
I was wondering if the insulation they use is good, compared to primaloft, which I've used in the past
so let's hear it, what do you all think???

Cannibal
10-18-2010, 17:26
I have a Ray-Way quilt from a couple of years ago; good synthetic quilt!
It is an easy build and great practice for future DIY quilts. For the money, I don't think you can beat it with a stick. Kind of bulky when you're used to down quilts, but otherwise I would heartily recommend it. :cool:

lori
10-18-2010, 17:30
I have the alpine upgrade version - whether it is a winter quilt depends upon your winter. It is not a winter quilt for me, but as a 3 season quilt it's okay. The regular version of the quilt is lighter but prolly a 30F at most.

I would not be surprised if he weren't using primaloft. You won't get him to tell you what it is, tho.

amac
10-18-2010, 17:43
I agree with Cannibal; great quilt for the money. I, also, have the alpine upgrade. I had it down to 16 one night. I was plenty warm, and I'm a cold sleeper.

One thing, do follow the instructions for the dimensions. I added an extra 8 inches to the width, just to be sure, and it is clearly 8 inches too wide.

NCPatrick
10-18-2010, 21:31
I'm still enjoying the one I made years ago. The kids now are asking to use it when on trips. I got the alpine upgrade and never regretted it.

fred1diver
10-24-2010, 19:09
how comfortable is it? I've never used a quilt before!
can you tell me roughly how much it weighs?

chezrad
10-24-2010, 20:04
I have made two. One for me and one for my older boy. We've had them about 2 years. They weigh about 1.5 lbs. I use mine in my hammock, he uses his on the ground. Only been cold in it when it got around 30. Actually ordered extra insulation to make an underquilt. Works great. I'd probably want down if I did really cold weather. But for the stuff we do around here with the Scouts it has been wonderful. Highly recommended.

skyclad
10-24-2010, 21:34
My Ray Way quilt is not pretty but it's warm and I like it. It is a little bulky. I live in Texas so usually don't need anything below 30 degrees.

sky

newlease
10-24-2010, 22:50
I've been thinking about one of these, also, and wondering how easy/hard it is to make adjustments. I'm only 5'4" and would like to avoid any unnecessary weight. Is it an easy thing to change dimensions with the pattern?

fred1diver
10-25-2010, 03:54
ok well I'm pretty much convinced, how small does it compress ? and with the additional layer?

skyclad
10-25-2010, 06:09
I've been thinking about one of these, also, and wondering how easy/hard it is to make adjustments. I'm only 5'4" and would like to avoid any unnecessary weight. Is it an easy thing to change dimensions with the pattern?

newlease yes - easy to configure. If I were to make another I wouldn't bother with the draft stopper. The gorget (the curved top part) seems like a good idea though. I added 4 inches to the width and it stuffs down to about 12X10.

sky

amac
10-25-2010, 16:58
One thing I would suggest: The instructions don't say so, but I wished I had sewn in two loops to hang it. I like to hang my quilts to let them air out before packing them away. As soon as I can remember to pickup some grossgrain, I'll add them.

chezrad
10-25-2010, 17:17
Adjusting the pattern to your needs is really easy.

I can pack my quilt (no alpine option) in a 15" long by 6" diameter stuff sack. It will stuff smaller than that when I put it in the pack.