PDA

View Full Version : Side Tie-Outs For Speer Type?

headchange4u
11-15-2006, 11:50
I now have 3 DIY Speer-type hammocks. I love them and they are very comfortable, but they have what I am calling "the Taco syndrome". Once you lay in them the sides kinda come up and fold over inside the hammock and it ends up looking like a taco shell.

I know a pad will help to hold the hammock open and I have even seen people use small tent poles to keep the hammock spread. I don't always use a pad with my hammock and I just don't like the pole idea. I guess my HH has spoiled me with all the interior roominess it has because of its side tie-outs.

If I were to add side tie-outs to one of my hammocks what would be the best location: middle of the hammock, near head, shoulder area, etc...?

Do the tie-outs need to be located on the edge of the hammock, on the rolled hem, or would it be better to move them down on the body of the hammock a little (the hammock would be reinforced no matter where they are located)?

I also had the thought that side tie-outs that are offset, or not located directly across from each other, may help give the hammock a more asymmetrical shape.

Thoughts and comments?

Just Jeff
11-15-2006, 12:22
I would do it asymmetrically. Since that's the way you lay, putting one tie-out near your head will give you more headroom. Same for the feet. JMO.

Coffee
11-15-2006, 12:24
I am thinking about putting them on my next one. Make sure that you use a stretchy cord. If not the hammock either won't swing or will pull the tieouts out/off. The HH has one just below the shoulder on one side and around the knee on the other on me. I think that would open up the most room.

I struggled with this too. Try whipping the top edges of your hammock a little less. That will let the side hang down more.

Coffee
11-15-2006, 12:26
Man Jeff, I got to get faster.

Forgot to add. Look into putting them on the edge seam. That should be the strongest place. After my last run in with the ground, I am not going to put any holes where there does not need to be holes in the hammock fabric.

headchange4u
11-15-2006, 14:57
Side tie-outs may be the answer to the asymmetrical whipping dilemma. Maybe asymmetrically placed side tie-outs along with an asymmetrical whipping technique like Arkwater and Hammock Engineer tried would yield an asymmetrical Speer-type hammock.

Coffee
11-15-2006, 16:09
I'll try that when my ebay material gets here. I am still waiting on the final shipping cost so I can pay.

headchange4u
11-15-2006, 16:23
Where can I buy the elastic guy line like what is used on a HH?

Arkwater
11-15-2006, 16:39
Where can I buy the elastic guy line like what is used on a HH?

How much do you need?

headchange4u
11-15-2006, 16:41
Dunno really. 6-8 foot per side I guess. I'll measure my HH tonight and let you know. You got some you wanna sell?

Coffee
11-15-2006, 16:41
I am not sure which one I ordered. But I have some one of these nylon shock cords from OWF (http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/cords.asp). When in doubt call, they are really helpful. They might just not be the cheapest option.

southmark
11-15-2006, 17:16
Academy Sports sells tent pole shock cord repair kit with a roll of 1/8" shock cord (white). Don't recall how many feet (50 maybe) but I have used it for numerous projects includein tie outs for two Speer type hammocks and I still have plenty.

Porkbutter
11-15-2006, 21:47
If I were to add side tie-outs to one of my hammocks what would be the best location: middle of the hammock, near head, shoulder area, etc...?

I played around with tie-outs on my Speer, and they were effective. I sewed grosgrain loops just below the head and foot positions, and one at center , equally spaced. I sewed them BELOW the bug net Velcro, and added a small square of grosgrain on the inside of the hammock to reinforce the stitching. It worked well, but I decided that I didn't like a tie out in the center, right in the way of swinging my feet out. Especially for the midnight nature calls on those black as ink nights. After playing around with a couple of ideas, what I ended up liking was to tie 3/32 shock cord to the loops at the head and foot loops (fixed knot) and passing it under the hammock to the other side (quick release bow or a mitten hook). This spreads the hammock sides enough to improve ventilation, and gets rid of that closed in feeling. Plus, it weighs practically nothing and is as simple as can be. Just the one at the head position is often enough, but doing the foot one too opens it up a bit more. The center one was less effective; too much mass & tension to deal with there. I really don't feel the shock cord either. That may vary with heavier cord.

slowhike
11-15-2006, 22:40
I now have 3 DIY Speer-type hammocks. I love them and they are very comfortable, but they have what I am calling "the Taco syndrome". Once you lay in them the sides kinda come up and fold over inside the hammock and it ends up looking like a taco shell..
Thoughts and comments?

what i`ve done is make my hammocks a lot more narrow... 48-50".
i still have enough wall on the sides that i don`t feel any danger of falling out.
another thing i did was use one of my treking poles as a spreader bar above the head. i sewed a small sac on one side to hold the handle of the pole & a short pice of 3/4" webbing with a grommet in the center on the other to accept the point of the pole.
this didn`t work the same as the spreader bars on store bought hammocks, causing it to be unstable. it works sorta like if you would reach up above your head while laying in the hammock & grab the top on each side & spread them apart several inches. ..tim

Chump_Monkey
11-16-2006, 09:37
If you want even more roominess why stop at two side tie outs.

I bet 4 tie-outs would rock!
I might try it on my next DIY hammock project.

headchange4u
11-16-2006, 10:05
4 tie-outs may be a little bit of overkill for me, but I would like to see pics of that setup if you try it out.

slowhike,

I like my hammocks to be wide as possible. It makes them more comfortable. I have a hammock that is kinda narrow and if I use it with my Big Agnes Air Core pad it kinda gives me the feeling that I may fall out because I am sitting up higher in the hammock. I don't think I would fall out, it just has that feeling.

Coffee
11-16-2006, 11:34
You could use 2 side tieouts connect them with one cord, then tie out that one cord. That way you sould only need 1 tie out point.

slowhike
11-16-2006, 17:11
slowhike,

I like my hammocks to be wide as possible. It makes them more comfortable. I have a hammock that is kinda narrow and if I use it with my Big Agnes Air Core pad it kinda gives me the feeling that I may fall out because I am sitting up higher in the hammock. I don't think I would fall out, it just has that feeling.

i use a BA insulated air core in the warmer months & an exped DAM when it`s cooler. i only use them partly inflated so they conform & cradle better, but i do use them in the narrow hammocks.
i guess there is a little less of a secure feeling, & i suppose if i were to roll over really hard i could roll out of the hammock, but i don`t think it`s to likely (knock on wood<G>).
i guess it helps that i sleep in one at home... i`ve spent all but a couple nights in a hammock since spring of 05, so i guess i know i`m in a hammock... even when i`m asleep<G>. ..tim

rambler
11-16-2006, 17:37
http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Self%20Tensioning%20Lines.htm

Rubber elastic tubes are found at medical supply places and are also sold as elastics for wham-o sling shots! You can also use shockcordtake a piece about a foot long and tie each end to the tie-out cord so that a loop of shockcord hangs down. (That's probably not clear, sorry).

headchange4u
11-16-2006, 18:37
http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Self%20Tensioning%20Lines.htm

Rubber elastic tubes are found at medical supply places and are also sold as elastics for wham-o sling shots! You can also use shockcordtake a piece about a foot long and tie each end to the tie-out cord so that a loop of shockcord hangs down. (That's probably not clear, sorry).

You are talking about autotensioners, also know as tarp tensioners. I have made several of those. I used surgical tubing and the 2mm climbing rope with the reflective yarn so I don't trip over them at night.:p

JJ has a tutorial on his site that shows you how to make them. I mainly use mine with my Cloudburst2 (The horror! Blasphemy! A tent!:eek: :eek: ).

Grinder
11-17-2006, 20:35
On my big speer type homemade (118 x 57 inch) when I get diagonal, the outer edge of the hammock tightens up and hold me up just fine.

Before I get in position against the edge, It feels like it will dump me, but it never does. Once I am in position, things feel stable. I don't see what benefit the tieouts would be.

For reference, my inside shoulder is outside of the centerline (about 18 inches to the outside of me) , my hips are about on center and my feet 18 inches to 2 feet off center on the other side.

Tom