PDA

View Full Version : Cuben UQ

ikemouser
10-19-2010, 14:58
At first I was going to make a cuben TQ and UQ, ultimately decided against the TQ because I’m not used to vapor barriers. Not having the TQ in cuben would also allow me more seasonal use for the quilt, instead of isolating the quilt to the very coldest nights of the year.

I have a question about Cuben underquilts:

Will the VB issues be non-existent in this type of setup as the hammock is between you and the quilt and there are air gaps for heat to escape?

Just Jeff
10-19-2010, 15:15
I wouldn't say "non-existent" but I've slept in VB hammocks before and haven't had any negative impacts. Of note, I haven't used them in hot+humid environments...only cool/moist or hot/dry in central California, or warm/dry and cold/dry Colorado.

Pretty sure if I make another UQ it'll have a sil top (against the hammock) and DWR or Momentum outer shell.

ikemouser
10-19-2010, 15:20
You've slept in VB hammocks or hammocks with VB underquilts?

MarshLaw303
10-19-2010, 23:03
ike,

With the cuben under the vb affect is much easier to regulate. If you get hot and start to sweat just increase the air gap between the hammock and UQ, this will either stop the build up of condensation or at least keep it from touching the hammock and allow you to wipe it off in the am

-Tim

ikemouser
10-19-2010, 23:17
Thanks Tim. Thats what i thought, cuben is perfect for tarps and uq's (in my case).

MarshLaw303
10-20-2010, 07:59
yeah the cuben top quilt works very well for a given job in a given temp range for a user with VB skills, but can have a much larger learning curve.

-Tim

Lonely Raven
10-20-2010, 08:14
I wouldn't say "non-existent" but I've slept in VB hammocks before and haven't had any negative impacts. Of note, I haven't used them in hot+humid environments...only cool/moist or hot/dry in central California, or warm/dry and cold/dry Colorado.

Pretty sure if I make another UQ it'll have a sil top (against the hammock) and DWR or Momentum outer shell.

Jeff, why would you have the Sil against the hammock? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it on the bottom where it could protect from splash?

MarshLaw303
10-20-2010, 08:24
i just posted this on another thread but basically the sil against the hammock adds the VB and keeps moisture out of the down. if the liner (against hammock) is breathable and the shell isn't all moisture gets trapped in the down. Not sure why this so is confusing but i get a ton of questions about it and people just don't seem to get it, not sure why. (not trying to poke at you with the last part L.R., it just seems that it is a hard concept for many)

-Tim

gargoyle
10-20-2010, 08:40
Marshall, that makes good sense to me.
As the heated vapor travels away from the body (heat source) it will cool and condense.
The down will become saturated with a certain percentage of the moisture.

The difficulty would be accurately regulating the vb vs. the warmth of the quilt, since venting will allow heat to escape also.
Probably by the time you sense the vb needs to be vented, it may be too late and your hammock will already have condensation on it.

But sealing the down from any moisture will guarantee it maintains full loft.

Lonely Raven
10-20-2010, 09:09
i just posted this on another thread but basically the sil against the hammock adds the VB and keeps moisture out of the down. if the liner (against hammock) is breathable and the shell isn't all moisture gets trapped in the down. Not sure why this so is confusing but i get a ton of questions about it and people just don't seem to get it, not sure why. (not trying to poke at you with the last part L.R., it just seems that it is a hard concept for many)

-Tim

I just saw your other post...

I guess then, I'm thinking if you're going to use a VB at all, why not just completely wrap the UQ in said material. Or do the racing stripe of breathable material thing like that guy in the UK does.

I'm just sussing out options and trying to get other peoples perspectives...personally, I run too hot and think a VB would be a bad idea for me. But I'd like to see why others do the things they do.

Thanks for the info!

Just Jeff
10-20-2010, 11:14
You've slept in VB hammocks or hammocks with VB underquilts?

I used to have a Crazy Creek made from coated polyester (IIRC) that was not breathable. I recently made a sil hammock...so the hammocks were VB and not the UQs.

Jeff, why would you have the Sil against the hammock? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it on the bottom where it could protect from splash?

What MarshLaw says.

I guess then, I'm thinking if you're going to use a VB at all, why not just completely wrap the UQ in said material. Or do the racing stripe of breathable material thing like that guy in the UK does.

You need a breathable strip for the quilt to loft up after compression. It can work w/o the strip but takes longer to compress and loft. MarshLaw may have some comparison numbers on how much longer since he makes them.

MarshLaw303
10-20-2010, 12:05
VB is an art for sure. It takes time to learn how to use it and make it work for you. Not as simple buy it and try it kinda thing, sadly.

-Tim

Lonely Raven
10-20-2010, 13:30
I totally missed that you were Enlightened Equipment. I love the looks of your gear. I could learn a lot from you.