PDA

View Full Version : drip rings

jscalia
11-19-2007, 09:25
Are those aluminim drip rings on the rope really necessary or effective? Has anyone removed or replaced them with something else? I use caribiners about a foot away from the hammock clipped into a loop on the rope (tied with either a bowline knot or alpine butterfly knot). Wouldnt they act as drip rings as long as they are under the tarp cover?

Take-a-knee
11-19-2007, 10:10
Are those aluminim drip rings on the rope really necessary or effective? Has anyone removed or replaced them with something else? I use caribiners about a foot away from the hammock clipped into a loop on the rope (tied with either a bowline knot or alpine butterfly knot). Wouldnt they act as drip rings as long as they are under the tarp cover?

You'd be better off clove-hitching an SMC ring into the hammock line that tying a knot in it, sooner or later that knot is gonna bind on you.

jscalia
11-19-2007, 11:46
You'd be better off clove-hitching an SMC ring into the hammock line that tying a knot in it, sooner or later that knot is gonna bind on you.

I place the biner at different place each time I hang so I wouldnt want to tie in a permanent ring. Your right, there is always the chance of the knot being difficult to untie but the alpine butterfly or bowline are known to be easy to untie even after heavy loads. I have to admit that I did once need to use my multitool pliers to help me loosen such a knot. Worst case senario, you cant get out a knot, no big deal, you can still unclip the biner and pack it up. At some point it would be ideal to remove the knot but it shouldnt affect anything.

Take-a-knee
11-19-2007, 12:17
I place the biner at different place each time I hang so I wouldnt want to tie in a permanent ring. Your right, there is always the chance of the knot being difficult to untie but the alpine butterfly or bowline are known to be easy to untie even after heavy loads. I have to admit that I did once need to use my multitool pliers to help me loosen such a knot. Worst case senario, you cant get out a knot, no big deal, you can still unclip the biner and pack it up. At some point it would be ideal to remove the knot but it shouldnt affect anything.

A clove hitch doesn't lock until it is loaded, kind of like a prussik, when you unload it you can slide the ring wherever it needs to go. This is merely an improvement on a truckers hitch which works great on larger line but that hennessy rope is too small, IMO.

nogods
11-19-2007, 13:39
I don't understand the purpose of replacing the drip ring with a knot and carabiner - the ones on the clark are relatively small and light, and the support rope is merely looped through it.

slowhike
11-19-2007, 16:17

regardless of how you choose to attach the line, yes, the biners should work just as well as the drip rings IMHO.

Ewker
11-19-2007, 18:38
you could use the drip lines that Ed sells

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Images/Accessories/DripStrip1.jpg