PDA

View Full Version : IX between the layers?

amac
10-20-2010, 03:50
Has anyone tried IX between the layers of a DL hammock? I've not seen it so am wondering if it compresses too much.

MacEntyre
10-20-2010, 05:35
...wondering if it compresses too much.
It does. :(

MAD777
10-20-2010, 09:22
I just received 2 yards (60" wide) of IX to play with. I'd never seen this stuff before. The whole sheet weighs about 3 ounces. I plan to leave it uncovered, in it's raw state.

For now, I'm going to use it as an UQ booster by doubling it to 60"x36" and slide it between the hammock & UQ. I understand that it's more efficient to place it under the UQ, but that means I would have to shape it into a bathtub shape.

I may also use it as a single 60"x72" top quilt for summer when I don't think I will even need a TQ, just in case. Time will tell if there is a condensation issue.

I might want to aquire another couple of yards so I can make a double layer with pleats, but the distributer, Tree to Tree charges an outrageous $15+ for shipping a 3 ounce package. I certainly won't be ordering anything from them!!!

charley
10-20-2010, 17:23
I don't understand that shipping charge either.

tjm
10-20-2010, 17:34
I use a weathershield under my UQ.

Since my hammock is a bridge it will be easy to support the IX sheet in / on the weathershield.

Will this be effective?

Is there a thread that explains the whole IX thing?

Thanks,
TJM

MacEntyre
10-20-2010, 18:10
I use a weathershield under my UQ.

Since my hammock is a bridge it will be easy to support the IX sheet in / on the weathershield.

Will this be effective?
Yes!

Is there a thread that explains the whole IX thing?

Many... click on Search and type in "Insultex"...

G...Hawk
10-20-2010, 18:26
amac,

Insultex between layers is a good summer use.
Of course that depends on the temps; above 68*.

We use it in our BlackBirds in the Catskill Mts ( NY ) in the warmest months.

sclittlefield
10-21-2010, 16:24
I might want to aquire another couple of yards so I can make a double layer with pleats, but the distributer, Tree to Tree charges an outrageous $15+ for shipping a 3 ounce package. I certainly won't be ordering anything from them!!!

I don't understand that shipping charge either.

To be fair, I believe this is a shipping error on their site and not the price intended. I think I read a thread about trying to fix the shipping problem on their website recently.

I thought Adam at www.hammockgear.com sold IX by the yard as well, but I don't see it there anymore.

MacEntyre
10-21-2010, 16:30
Adam sold out of IX.