PDA

View Full Version : tubular webbing

jscalia
11-19-2007, 09:45
Does tubular webbing have any place in hammock suspension. It seems appealing because of the high strength and ability to easily tie and untie knots into it.

Take-a-knee
11-19-2007, 09:49
You can use it but it is heavier than the flat webbing from Speer. I used some 1/2 in tubular to tie a tree/hugger slapstrap for my Hennessy Expedition, but I'm not worried about weight with that setup.

TDunc
11-21-2007, 07:40
I use flat tubular webbing on several of the hammocks I take on scout trips for the boys to use during the day or around campfire time. Tubular is usually nylon and stretches much more than poly. Yes, knots are very easy to untie even after my skinny self (260#) has been in it.

My main sleeping hammocks use poly. No stretch (miniscule) and thus no readjusting.

Good luck and happy hanging.

Preacha Man
11-21-2007, 08:30
I have used tubular only because it is the strongest stuff I can buy locally. But I usually order 1'' polyester from strapworks for my DIY hammocks, it is lighter and has no stretch :) . The others are right, tubular is very easy to untie, it is just heavy.

angrysparrow
11-21-2007, 08:39
...Tubular is usually nylon and stretches much more than poly....

...My main sleeping hammocks use poly. No stretch (miniscule) and thus no readjusting....

I agree with 4D's. Nylon, even if tubular, is less than ideal for hammock suspensions.

GrizzlyAdams
11-21-2007, 09:23
I use 1/2" polyester tubular webbing from Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/webbing-polyester) for the suspension on my DIY bridge hammock.

I consider 1/2" too narrow to go around a tree (wider == more distribution of the weight on the trunk), but the sailrite webbing could otherwise be used for the suspension between hammock and the webbing that does go around the tree.

Grizz

kohburn
11-21-2007, 10:08
I use 1/2" polyester tubular webbing from Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/webbing-polyester) for the suspension on my DIY bridge hammock.

I consider 1/2" too narrow to go around a tree (wider == more distribution of the weight on the trunk), but the sailrite webbing could otherwise be used for the suspension between hammock and the webbing that does go around the tree.

Grizz

handly link - they have 1/2" through 2" poly webbing.