PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie question?

jeepthangjim
10-21-2010, 00:55
I'm interested in getting the "All In One" system but I see there are several different length configurations. Do any of you have a preferred length and why? Did any of you buy a certain length and the wish you had longer huggers or slings? I just don't want to buy a set and then realize I should have gone with the 8' slings rather than the 6' slings or I find out the 8' huggers are overkill. Thanks!

Dutch
10-21-2010, 07:11
IMO the stuff is so light I would go for the extra. As far as teh hugger length, that depends on where you hang. Here in PA teh trees are pretty small compared to th North West.

Riverpirate
10-21-2010, 07:28
I just got the 8 and 8. I am not a hiker so weight as little as it might be was not an issue. Rather have too much than not enough. The story of my life.

gargoyle
10-21-2010, 07:37
Everybody has "a desired length".
It depends on your situation and camp locations.
If where you camp has mongo trees, you may need more than 8 feet of strap.
Most times, if you have a choice in locations, you can find suitable trees.
You have to remember that the webbing and the whoopie are completely adjustable. Typically, they can be adjusted from one foot long (approx.) all the way out to eight feet. That's what makes them so popular.
If your a dedicated ultralight backpacker, and the length is too long, you can always redo the system to make it smaller and lighter.

But, for a new hammocker, I think the more adjustable eight foot length will work best.

thekalimist
10-21-2010, 10:38
i dont have the AIOS but i use 6ft slings and 6ft whoopies, just sayin..

SmokeBait
10-21-2010, 10:52
Our most popular all in one systems are the 6'hugger/8' sling. Gargoyle has great advice though. If you order a system, and it turns out to be too long, we will gladly rework it for you. The weight difference between 6' slings and 8' slings is very small. That's why I carry 8' ones to allow a little more choice in tree selection.

I'm off to hike/hang with some of our forum members in the beautiful Arkansas Ozarks for a couple of days. Back Sunday if the bears don't get me :scared:

jeepthangjim
10-21-2010, 13:37
Thanks guys! I think I will probably end up getting the 6' huggers and the 8' slings. We'll see what kind of money I make this weekend delivering pizza.

oldgringo
10-21-2010, 14:27
I'm off to hike/hang with some of our forum members in the beautiful Arkansas Ozarks for a couple of days. Back Sunday if the bears don't get me :scared:

Wear some orange!

SmokeBait
10-24-2010, 16:29
Wear some orange!

No kidding! There were plenty of hunters and 4-wheelers out. Thanks to TooTall, and his safety vest affixed atop his pack frame, we didn't get shot. And didn't see a single bear either. Nine of us all together. Was a darn good time. Thanks to SmokeHouse for another great hike/hang :)

Bronco6899
11-28-2010, 15:45
I have a Clark North Amaerican and I want to change the hanging system a bit , whats the weight limits on the Whoopie slings? I was watching Shug's videos and they look pretty simple but would like to know the weight limits on those things.

Youngmoose
11-28-2010, 17:58
I have a Clark North Amaerican and I want to change the hanging system a bit , whats the weight limits on the Whoopie slings? I was watching Shug's videos and they look pretty simple but would like to know the weight limits on those things. 7/64 amsteel is over 1000 pounds so it strong enough

SmokeBait
11-29-2010, 16:17
Amsteel Blue in 7/64" is rated at 1600 pounds. Subtract ~10% for the splicing. Youngmoose is right, strong enough for most humans. And even a young moose :)

ScotchDave
12-01-2010, 17:56
Hi guys,

I got my whoopieslings a week or two ago, and I gave them a first try today. I ordered the 8' and 8' because the whoopies will always go to their minimum length and the tree huggers can always be looped around twice or three times to take up the slack.

The only downside is a bit of extra weight, but I can deal with that.

Dave

Crash
12-02-2010, 09:44
I have the 8 footers and like the length. I used the extra length to tie each end to the other. This made a ridge line for my tarp. It was real windy & real cold out and I used a second tarp to help block the wind. I didn't have a lot of extra rope so the whoopie ends were put to use.