PDA

View Full Version : TQ: eVENT Foot and Head strips

Redwood Guy
10-21-2010, 04:58
Howdie,

So, using a strip of eVENT at the foot end of the TQ to prevent condensation (or possible ridgeline dripping) and at the head end of the TQ to prevent exhaled moisture from condensing into the insulation has become a very highly demanded feature of TQ's these days.

Are you guys willing to start offering this feature?

Two such examples of this are the Mountain Laurel Designs brand new '2011 Spirit' - http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=133

And the very very popular GoLight UltraLite 3 -- http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=360003110

Thanks.

Dutch
10-21-2010, 07:07
I think eVENT material is impossible to find. If anyone know where I can get some please post it.

wisenber
10-21-2010, 07:51
I think eVENT material is impossible to find. If anyone know where I can get some please post it.

A not so quick search yielded no eVent by the yard for sale. A few lookers on BPL but no sellers.

I could see possibly using it on the head end for hammock camping, but a long enough tarp would preclude the need for it on the foot end.
Also, the GoLite quilt was using Pertex not eVent. Most eVent applications in the sleeping gear arena tend to be more for mountaineering sleeping bags and bivies.

Redwood Guy
10-21-2010, 07:58
Also, the GoLite quilt was using Pertex not eVent. Most eVent applications in the sleeping gear arena tend to be more for mountaineering sleeping bags and bivies.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. My error indeed.

The point though still stands and remains that this is something that would be - and is - highly desirable.

As for:

a long enough tarp would preclude the need for it on the foot end

True, but some of us multi-purpose our quilts for ground/tent/tarp sleeping and therein it becomes very important. Hammockgear even offers the ability to get a TQ with pad-straps for those who are mostly ground dwellers. This is the route I will go so that I will have the versatility of my TQ (am planning the PCT next year) beyond just hammock use.

Lonely Raven
10-21-2010, 08:02
I've been looking for eVent by the yard for six weeks now, and even spoke to a few shops who actually work in eVent. Nobody has it "by the yard", and the big shops might be under agreement not to sell it by the yard...I couldn't get a straight answer from them which is why I say they *might* be under agreement.

I know one guy who has a couple yards of 2 layer and 3 layer, and he wouldn't part with it unless it was in a custom quilt of his making.

As expensive as eVent is, I would absolutely buy 10+ yards to start making my own gear. If it could be found.

I have a feeling it will be a few years before eVent and it's like will be easily available to us.

MacEntyre
10-21-2010, 08:16
What about Epic (http://www.nextec.com/)?

wisenber
10-21-2010, 08:33
I've been looking for eVent by the yard for six weeks now, and even spoke to a few shops who actually work in eVent. Nobody has it "by the yard", and the big shops might be under agreement not to sell it by the yard...I couldn't get a straight answer from them which is why I say they *might* be under agreement.

I know one guy who has a couple yards of 2 layer and 3 layer, and he wouldn't part with it unless it was in a custom quilt of his making.

As expensive as eVent is, I would absolutely buy 10+ yards to start making my own gear. If it could be found.

I have a feeling it will be a few years before eVent and it's like will be easily available to us.

OWF was going to carry it, but apparently the 500yd minimum purchase made them balk. Sort of like IX. If you don't want to commit to a truckload, they don't want to sell it to you.
I'm sure the smaller vendors would be happy to accommodate you if they had a source, but I doubt they'd be willing to stick their neck out on a $15-$20 grand fabric buy.

wisenber
10-21-2010, 08:35
What about Epic (http://www.nextec.com/)?

Feathered Friends and Nunatak offer Epic.

MacEntyre
10-21-2010, 10:30
Sorry, Walter, I was not clear. I know where to get Epic... was more interested in what folks thing about it as an alternative to eVent.

Knotty
10-21-2010, 10:42
I just started using a Golite Ultralite 3 top quilt and love it. The website says the head and foot ends are Pertex. Don't know the difference btw Pertex and eVent but I do get less wetness on the quilt near my mouth from breath condensation.

beep
10-21-2010, 10:47
Sorry, Walter, I was not clear. I know where to get Epic... was more interested in what folks thing about it as an alternative to eVent.

I have a down parka (Feathered Friends) made with Epic fabric and a rain outfit (Rab) made with Event. The eVent fabric has a stiffer hand, but is roughly the same weight as Epic. For eVent, think Gore-tex type waterproof but WAY more breathable. I can hike in the rain wearing my eVent gear and dry out my hiking clothes while hiking.

The Epic fabric is more of a DWR sort of material. Light moisture will bead up on it for a while, but will eventually soak through. If you're expecting to stay dry (or keep your insulation dry) in a drizzle, Epic (my experience) will work for about 20-30 minutes before starting to wet through.

MacEntyre
10-21-2010, 10:56
That agrees with what the FAQ says, Beep:

Are EPIC by Nextec® fabrics waterproof?
EPIC by Nextec® fabrics are highly water resistant. This means they resist penetration by water under all but the most extreme conditions.

Redwood Guy
10-21-2010, 11:00
I just started using a Golite Ultralite 3 top quilt and love it. The website says the head and foot ends are Pertex. Don't know the difference btw Pertex and eVent but I do get less wetness on the quilt near my mouth from breath condensation.

Thanks for sharing this. I really really really want to support Stormcrow and am really pushing myself to do so. However, some of the additional features (and slightly less pocket-book ouch) is really drawing me towards the Ultralite 3. Which, is why I figured I would see if he is at all able to offer this footer/header material - be it of eVENT or Pertext or whatever. It just makes logical sense to have it on there, especially for those of us who mult-use our TQ's.

Raul Perez
10-21-2010, 11:30
I'm wondering why the footwear industry hasn't switched to eVENT and tossed the Gore-tex lining. Sounds like the perfect Trailrunner shoe to me. What do you guys think?

Lonely Raven
10-21-2010, 11:32
I'm wondering why the footwear industry hasn't switched to eVENT and tossed the Gore-tex lining. Sounds like the perfect Trailrunner shoe to me. What do you guys think?

There are already a few brands with eVent out there already. I've even seen some over at Sierra Trading Post (older models).

I'm interested in a pair, but I have wide feet, and fit is important to me.

Dewey
10-22-2010, 06:16
Tis my understanding, eVENT *is* first generation gortex....renamed after the patent restrictions expired......I could be wrong, however.

Dewey

beep
10-22-2010, 07:37
Tis my understanding, eVENT *is* first generation gortex....renamed after the patent restrictions expired......I could be wrong, however.

Dewey

I don't think that's correct. It's a different technology whose patent is (IIRC) owned ultimately by GE. I seem to recall that it was originally developed by another firm.

Here's some information from the eVent website...

BHA Group, Inc. The brains behind the fabric.
eVent fabrics are manufactured and marketed by the BHA Group, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Electric Company. The eVent fabrics division is a highly motivated team of industry professionals maintaining a singular focus: the design and development of uniquely venting membranes.
During the mid nineties BHA Group, Inc. manufactured and laminated proprietary venting membranes exclusively for use in filters for industrial air pollution control applications. This product, called BHA-TEX®, is now one of the most successful industrial air filters on the market. The experience we gained through the development of BHA-TEX filters enabled us to expand our knowledge into a variety of consumer and industrial markets.

Lonely Raven
10-22-2010, 07:57
I can't find the article now, but from what I read; since the Gor-Tex patent expired, three new formats of Gor-Tex like materials have arisen. I think Patagonia is using one, then eVent, and I forgot what the third is. All three are using modern variants of the Gor-Tex type technology that couldn't be done till the patent expired. From what I read, eVent was supposed to be the better of the three.

I wish I could find that article...it's what lead me to getting an REI rain jacket rather than a Mountain Hardware (I love MH stuff and I'm skeptical of most REI stuff).

Redwood Guy
10-22-2010, 08:09
So Stormcrow... you going to pipe-in with any comments to my initial question or are you out on some beautiful trail this week??

Darby
10-22-2010, 08:12
I was talking to Cedar Tree at Trail Days about eVENT. He was able to acquire a small amount to make a few Packa's. Then he found out their minimum order for eVENT was some astronomical amount (over a thousand yards):scared:. THAT will keep the small (cottage) manufacturers out of that game:(. It is a shame, eVENT is an awesome material.

Lonely Raven
10-22-2010, 08:15
I was talking to Cedar Tree at Trail Days about eVENT. He was able to acquire a small amount to make a few Packa's. Then he found out their minimum order for eVENT was some astronomical amount (over a thousand yards):scared:. THAT will keep the small (cottage) manufacturers out of that game:(. It is a shame, eVENT is an awesome material.

It would be cool if a few of them pooled their resources and each took 100 yards.

I'd buy an eVent Packa for sure! Plus I wouldn't mind a TQ with a couple strips of eVent in it. And if I could get my own few yards of the stuff, I'd make a hammock sock with an event top!

Darby
10-22-2010, 08:29
Just put in a call to eVent, want to hear it for myself. Will post results.

Cheers, Dale

Cedar Tree
10-22-2010, 13:58
Just put in a call to eVent, want to hear it for myself. Will post results.

Cheers, Dale

Hey Darby, Please don't mention my name or product. When I told you that number (which was 10,000 yds min order), that information was not coming from the manufacturers of eVent (BHA I think), it was coming from MY manufacturer. I needed to buy 10,000 yards of eVent just to get a color change. I can still get eVent, but only in red. I am getting more though, be here in December.
Cedar Tree

HappyCamper
10-22-2010, 14:37

Raul,

Keen used to use eVent in it's Winter Growler boot, but then developed their own material. Maybe tired of paying for pricey eVent????

From BackpackingLight 2008 . . .
Although there are a lot of waterproof insulated boots on the market, it is hard to find a model that is truly lightweight. The Keen Growler is one of the lightest available, has a waterproof/breathable liner, 200-gram insulation, and weight of 19.6 ounces/boot (men’s 9).

The original Growler had an eVENT membrane to make it waterproof and Primaloft insulation, but the current model uses proprietary KeenDry waterproof/breathable technology and KeenWarm insulation. The Growler is claimed to be warm down to -20 F, which may be a bit optimistic. Sizes: Men’s 7-14, women’s 5-11. MSRP: $124.99.

We chose the Grower because it uses mostly synthetic materials to minimize weight, its tread provides excellent traction, and its roomy interior provides ample room to wear thick socks.

Raul Perez
10-22-2010, 14:44
Thanks HC. I have the growlers... great winter boot/shoe! Still wondering why some of the other large brands like Salomon, Asolo, Merrell dont use eVent since Goretex isn't as breathable as the manufactures want you to think.

Redwood Guy
10-25-2010, 21:08
...Still awaiting a response from StormCrow on this matter....

JayS
10-25-2010, 21:30
...Still awaiting a response from StormCrow on this matter....

Stormcrow was hiking recently in Minnesota, I believe I saw in another thread. Have you contacted him directly?

You got less wetness from breath condensation because you were comatose and barely breathing. I mean, you slept right through the MAHHA Cookout/Potluck and raffle! Man, that was POWER NAPPING :sleep: at its best! :lol:

stormcrow
10-25-2010, 22:09
...Still awaiting a response from StormCrow on this matter....Thorwren responding for Stormcrow - He hasn't had a day off, really, since January, so he was yanked off the machine by Fin and Shug for a 3 day hike at the SHT. I've been manning the forte, albeit by the skin of my teeth. :eek:

As for the eVent, we are so swamped with orders that any and all of our products hopefuls are currently thrown to the back burner until we get caught up, including researching eVent. We're neck deep. :scared: We will certainly look into it as soon as we get a moment to catch our breath! :) Thanks for the heads up on a new material we can look into!

NickJ
10-26-2010, 12:26
eVent is actually pretty old technology. Pertex is lighter and effectively does the same thing. Not sure about the availability of Pertex over your side of the Atlantic though. I'd go for Pertex Endurance over eVent for this application.

Lonely Raven
10-26-2010, 12:40
eVent is actually pretty old technology. Pertex is lighter and effectively does the same thing. Not sure about the availability of Pertex over your side of the Atlantic though. I'd go for Pertex Endurance over eVent for this application.

A Quick research and I turned up this:

Pertex Endurance

The micro-porous coating on the Endurance fabric is designed for breathability and water resistance. It has won high praise in reviews such as this one from Backpacker Magazine. Some manufacturers chose it for their top line sleeping bags, largely for being lighter than other WP/B fabrics. While we prefer eVENT for the much greater breathability, we have tested Endurance in our rental department for many years without receiving a single negative comment. Now the fabric is being discontinued, as Pertex has shut down their manufacturing. This may be your last chance for this fabric. Fabric Weight 1.7 oz/sq.yd.

NickJ
10-26-2010, 13:35
Raven, that must be an old article. Pertex was owned by a firm whose name escapes me, but went bust some years ago. It then was taken over by another firm and there were some issues, but now it's under new ownership and all is well and they are manufacturing again.

Surely you don't want the material to be too breathable? If it is, the moisture will just go straight into the down?

Take a look at the site http://www.pertex.com/ then click on fabrics, endurance.

Lonely Raven
10-26-2010, 15:02
Raven, that must be an old article. Pertex was owned by a firm whose name escapes me, but went bust some years ago. It then was taken over by another firm and there were some issues, but now it's under new ownership and all is well and they are manufacturing again.

Surely you don't want the material to be too breathable? If it is, the moisture will just go straight into the down?

Take a look at the site http://www.pertex.com/ then click on fabrics, endurance.

It was from an older Feathered Friends page...so yes, it could be an old article.

wisenber
10-26-2010, 16:34
Having used both Pertex and eVent, Pertex is lighter and more breathable but not nearly as water resistant as eVent. I would not trust Pertex raingear, but it works fine in water resistant applications.

Redwood Guy
10-26-2010, 19:32
Thorwren responding for Stormcrow - He hasn't had a day off, really, since January, so he was yanked off the machine by Fin and Shug for a 3 day hike at the SHT. I've been manning the forte, albeit by the skin of my teeth. :eek:

As for the eVent, we are so swamped with orders that any and all of our products hopefuls are currently thrown to the back burner until we get caught up, including researching eVent. We're neck deep. :scared: We will certainly look into it as soon as we get a moment to catch our breath! :) Thanks for the heads up on a new material we can look into!

Thank you for the response.