PDA

View Full Version : WHBB Bottom insulation question?

chazoe
10-21-2010, 17:45
Is there a problem with just stuffing some insulation, a sleeping bag for instance, in-between the layers of the hammock. I guess your weight compressing it would be an issue as far as warmth goes but is there a problem that this would cause with the hammock itself? Would it damage the hammock in other words?

Dutch
10-21-2010, 17:59
You should be OK. If you were 300 pounds and put a real thick sleeping bag in a double 1.1 it may not be good for it.

chazoe
10-21-2010, 18:25
You should be OK. If you were 300 pounds and put a real thick sleeping bag in a double 1.1 it may not be good for it.

I am a pretty big guy but its not that thick of a bag and I have a double 1.7

questtrek
10-21-2010, 22:28
Actually if you compress down to the point the it is crushed you loose all of it's insulating power. If you were using an underquilt on the outside of your hammock and then stuffing something in between the layers of your WBB you might increase the warmth factor a few degrees by creating a vapor barrier.
Underquilt+Hammock layer+Something in between layer+your body should increase your chances to stay warm. But just doing the down in between the layers and that's it would probably only work to 60*.

I'm not an expert though ... I am sure someone else will chime in that has tried this. Just my 2 cents ...

G.L.P.
10-21-2010, 22:43
The only think that will really work like that is a Pad.......
Synth and Down will get compressed.....and will have no insulating value
if you are just starting out i woul stick with the pad till you can score an UQ
or hang your sleepingbag from the bottom of the hammock...i seen a few ppl try that and it worked out ok till they got an UQ ;)