PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Microfiber Ripstop

hfmac
10-21-2010, 22:40
Here's a source for the elusive ripstop polyester.

http://www.peakfabrics.com/fabric_item.php?fabric=versatek&category=shell_fabrics

It's also microfiber so it should be comfortable against skin. I've never bought this so I don't know it's weight or anything. Just thought I'd pass along the info, having read some people were looking for it.

WV
10-22-2010, 08:07
A couple of years ago I got some Versatec (sp?) from Quest Outfitters. I think it may have been about 2 oz/yd. I made a hammock from it, but a tiny tear started next to one of my tie-out points. I tried to get in it for one more test before fixing it, and the tiny tear became a big rip very fast. I cut it up and made a wind shell from the fabric, and it has worn very well. Note that this was an experimental design, and the "tie-out point" was actually part of the main end support system, and there was a lot of tension on it. Also, this fabric is not ripstop.

I found a scrap of it this morning and cut it to exactly 16" x 20". It weighs 14 gm., so the 2 oz/yd figure is probably correct.

PKT
10-22-2010, 13:16
Thanks for the link. I wonder if it is like what Rockywoods used to carry.

WV
10-22-2010, 20:33
I sent them an email:

Hi,
A link to your Versatek fabric was posted on Hammockforums.net, so you may be getting inquiries from hammock-makers, such as myself.
It's described as having a "ripstop texture." Is this the same as regular ripstop? That is, does the grid of threads give actual strength?
Also, what is the weight per sq. yd. (or sq. meter) of this fabric?

Thanks. I'll post your reply on Hammockforums, which may save you answering multiple inquiring emails.

Got this reply:

Our Versatek ripstop is actually a shell fabric. It is very light weight and is for jackets and such. It would not be strong enough for hammocks. We are able to bring in all kinds of fabrics that we don’t have in stock, so we may be able to locate suitable fabric. The person who does the ordering is on vacation. She will be back in the office on November 1. If you are interested in having her source this fabric for you, please send an email or call after November 1st. Thank you for your interest in our business.

Thanks, Leabeth

So I replied:

Leabeth,
Thanks for the quick reply. We have hammockforum members and vendors making hammocks out of nylon ripstop fabrics as light as 1.3 oz per sq. yd. (30 denier) Some fabrics this light are said to have less stretch than others, which is desirable. A few people have been able to locate polyester ripstop in this weight. That is what we are seeking now. I will call after Nov. 1st, as you suggest.
David

rjcress
10-26-2010, 01:11
I like your reply.

I bought some nylon and polyester taffeta fabrics (several different types) last week. The lightest feels heavier than my 1.9 silnylon. I wish I had a scale to weigh it. Anyhow, it all seems relatively heavy to me. However, the ladies at Hancock Fabric thought I was crazy for thinking that such a LIGHT fabric could possibly work for a hammock. In fact, one was so disturbed by my plan to use the fabric for hammocks that she walked away in protest.:cool:

I'm new at this, but already taking statements like "that fabric is too light for a hammock" with a very large grain of salt, unless it comes from an experienced hammock maker.

I would speculate that most jacket shell material that I've seen is heavier than the standard fabrics used by HF members.

JohnSawyer
10-26-2010, 12:30
RE: Light fabrics:

I'm 220lbs and use a SINGLE 1.1oz nylon ripstop hammock. I've slept in it nearly a dozen times now...

My first hammock is a Beyer of Maine Parachute hammock. I'm still surprised that this ultra-light hammock holds my great bulk... It's nylon, but not ripstop, and feels thinner than my 1.1, though it's less slippery.

My "next" hammock will likely be a 1.1 double or a single of something heavier. I might get the bridge bug, though... It takes me a bit to get to sleep in my gathered end hammock, as I'm normally a side-sleeper... I'm on my back in the hammock...

KenDen
11-03-2010, 22:07
WV,
Did you get a response to your request for rs poly? I have been thinking of making a new bridge

WV
11-03-2010, 22:47
WV,
Did you get a response to your request for rs poly? I have been thinking of making a new bridge

Yes, I called Monday and explained what we were looking for. The buyer said she would get out her books and start looking. I asked for ripstop polyester in the 30 to 70 denier range (up to 1.9 oz/ sq. yd.) I said the right fabric might generate enough interest for a group buy of 100 yds. or so. Haven't heard back yet.

BurningCedar
11-04-2010, 07:08
Yes, I called Monday and explained what we were looking for. The buyer said she would get out her books and start looking. I asked for ripstop polyester in the 30 to 70 denier range (up to 1.9 oz/ sq. yd.) I said the right fabric might generate enough interest for a group buy of 100 yds. or so. Haven't heard back yet.

Well I for one would definitely be up to buying a few yards if this works out. Thanks for taking the time to research this!!!

Ramblinrev
11-04-2010, 07:20
I don't know enough at this point to say anything definitive. But I might go easy on microfiber until I found out about the manufacturing. In general the longer the "staple" (or thread fibers) the stronger the fabric. Microfiber has a napped finish which is very comfortable and soft. But whether it would have the strength of long staple nylon/polyester is questionable in my mind. It is fabulous for blankets and clothing but I am not sure what the weight limits would be.

NCPatrick
11-04-2010, 07:43
Thanks for researching this WV!

WV
11-04-2010, 09:02
I don't know enough at this point to say anything definitive. But I might go easy on microfiber until I found out about the manufacturing. In general the longer the "staple" (or thread fibers) the stronger the fabric. Microfiber has a napped finish which is very comfortable and soft. But whether it would have the strength of long staple nylon/polyester is questionable in my mind. It is fabulous for blankets and clothing but I am not sure what the weight limits would be.
Thanks, Rev. I'm a bit vague about the properties of microfiber myself. For that reason, I was careful not to use the term in my request to Peak Fabrics. I just asked about "ripstop polyester." In fact, the buyer heard the word "ripstop" and started talking about weights of ripstop nylon, so I corrected her and explained that the lower stretch of polyester was sought. She seemed interested in our applications and anxious to find a suitable fabric.

Thanks for researching this WV!

You're most welcome. The initial response makes me wonder if similar request calls to OWF, QuestOutfitters, and other vendors with good customer service departments might help. However, this isn't at the top of my priority list, so I think I'll take it one-at-a-time as time permits. Stay tuned. :)

TiredFeet
11-04-2010, 14:54

TeeDee has been using microfiber polyester for ALL of the Bridges he makes for over a year now (probably about 2 years ?) and swears he will use nothing else. He has used 3 different polyester microfiber fabrics - two are ripstop and one isn't. One ripstop weighs 1.9 oz/sq yd, I forget the weight of the other ripstop (it is coated with one side being slippery and the other side very un-slippery) and the non-ripstop weighs 2.0 oz/sq yd. I have see others on the forums making Bridge hammocks from the polyester microfiber fabrics and I haven't seen any reports concerning the strength of the hammocks.

As far as strength we have had no problems and the microfiber fabric has a soft supple feel - much, much, much, much superior to any nylon fabric I have ever felt used in a hammock.

Also, we both prefer the polyester since it doesn't absorb water like the nylon does. That can make a big difference in damp/wet conditions.

Ramblinrev
11-04-2010, 15:03
TeeDee has been using microfiber polyester for ALL of the Bridges he makes for over a year now (probably about 2 years ?) and swears he will use nothing else. He has used 3 different polyester microfiber fabrics - two are ripstop and one isn't. One ripstop weighs 1.9 oz/sq yd, I forget the weight of the other ripstop (it is coated with one side being slippery and the other side very un-slippery) and the non-ripstop weighs 2.0 oz/sq yd. I have see others on the forums making Bridge hammocks from the polyester microfiber fabrics and I haven't seen any reports concerning the strength of the hammocks.

As far as strength we have had no problems and the microfiber fabric has a soft supple feel - much, much, much, much superior to any nylon fabric I have ever felt used in a hammock.

Also, we both prefer the polyester since it doesn't absorb water like the nylon does. That can make a big difference in damp/wet conditions.

That answers any questions I might have. Thanks for the input.

Booya
11-04-2010, 15:37
Oh man. I'm excited about this. I was just about to settle with Nylon for the bridges I'll be making this winter. It would be fantastic if I could get the polyester. I'm in no hurry. So, I will wait patiently to see what you find out WV. Many thanks for getting this going!

BurningCedar
11-17-2010, 12:45
Any update on a polyester source yet?

The other thread about removable zipper bug-nets (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24735) has me anxious to start my winter project; which I'd love to be polyester based this time.

WV
11-17-2010, 13:53
When I called Peak Fabrics, Mrs. Kennedy didn't know the weight of the polyester microfiber she had, so I asked her to take a piece and measure its dimensions and weigh it on a postal scale so I could calculate the weight per sq. yd. She hasn't called or emailed back. She said she was reluctant to cut a piece off the roll just to weigh it. I gathered from what she said that this fabric is mostly used for garments (she mentioned shorts and parka shells). She thought it was at least as heavy as supplex, so it might be 3 or 4 oz. per sq. yd. She also said she sells it for $15/ yd. I expect the polyester microfiber from OWF may be similar, and the cost is significantly less. She was gracious in taking time to answer my questions and apparently made real effort to find polyester ripstop, but I got the impression that her business isn't targetting the gearmaking market.

BurningCedar
11-17-2010, 15:58
Thanks so much for checking. I'm probably a month or so away from starting this project so its no huge rush. And I can always resort to the tried-and-true 1.9 ounce nylon.

I did see that OWF lists their Polyester Microfiber at 4.0 ounce which is of course way too heavy for our needs. I don't know if they can source anything lighter.

TiredFeet
11-17-2010, 20:34
Thanks so much for checking. I'm probably a month or so away from starting this project so its no huge rush. And I can always resort to the tried-and-true 1.9 ounce nylon.

I did see that OWF lists their Polyester Microfiber at 4.0 ounce which is of course way too heavy for our needs. I don't know if they can source anything lighter.

Do NOT rely or believe the fabric weights listed on the OWF web site. They are very unreliable. If you want a good estimate of the fabric weight, call and ask them to measure and weigh. In our experience they will do so if they have the time.

In emailing and talking to them on the phone, I was told that the weights on the web site are just numbers put there because the site designer put a place for them. So whoever fills in the information puts a number down.

Another factor that muddies the water: some people putting down the information think it is running yard weight and others think it is shipping weight and others think it is weight per unit square. So take your pick as to which is displayed or maybe none of the above.

Pipsissewa
03-05-2011, 16:52
So, what's the upshot of this? Where does TeeDee get polyester microfiber for his bridge hammocks? I, too, am interested in polyester ripstop. Thanks!!!