PDA

View Full Version : At what temps

mountaingoat
10-22-2010, 21:06
At what temperature do you start to need bottom insulation, that is beyond just a pad?

lori
10-22-2010, 21:09
Depends on the pad. Some can get you down to about freezing - part of the equation is you, whether you sleep cold or hot. You can also add additional pads and get lower. Thin pad, maybe mid 40F. I have a half inch blue foam ccf that got me to mid30s comfortably.

Wags
10-22-2010, 21:11
i've had 2 pads down into single digits. the UQ's are more of an issue of comfort than insulation

jloden
10-22-2010, 22:52
With the 1/4" EVA torso pad, I don't think I could go much lower than 50 degrees. The Wal-mart blue pad I'd probably be ok in the 40s, lower than that would be pushing it for me. If I weren't worried about backpacking the bulk/weight I'd just use both pads to go to lower temps.

I've also used spare clothes like my raingear between me and the pad, just for a wind break and some added insulation. The above also assumes normal clothing, might be different if I were using fleece thermals or something like that to sleep in.

Dblcorona
10-23-2010, 08:56
I've found that a pad takes away from the general comfort of hammock. Once you use a uq, you'll probably never go back to the pad. I put one on probably 90% of the time, and just vent till I'm comfortable.

Fiddleback
10-23-2010, 10:34
Not all pads are created equal although their dimensions may be the same. But first and foremost, a sleep system is a system...the pad is but one part. And in a sleep system, all the parts impact at how low a temperature the sleeper can remain comfortable. One can have a very thin pad and boost the performance of other sleep system variables, or one can have a thick pad and cut back on the system's other parts. You can mix and match, raise or lower each part's capability, or even delete parts altogether. Then, of course, there are the other external variables; the weather, the location of the hammock, the hanger's condition, etc. What works at 25° one weekend may not work at 25° the next, e.g., a still night vs. 20mph winds.

And, as Dblcorona points out, staying warm is just one factor of comfort. There's the comfort of a light pack load, there's the comfort of the 'feel' when laying down on the hammock ("general comfort"), there's the comfort of ease and convenience...there's even a psychological comfort to be found in the money spent/not spent on the sleep system.

Underinsulation, whether it's a pad or a uq, has its cold temp limits, other factors remaining constant. But a specific low-temperature capability isn't unique to a specific type of underinsulation even though each type performs differently and may have different aspects of 'comfort.' But when those other factors vary, so too does the temperature range of the underinsulation.

FB

G.L.P.
10-24-2010, 09:42
I've found that a pad takes away from the general comfort of hammock. Once you use a uq, you'll probably never go back to the pad. I put one on probably 90% of the time, and just vent till I'm comfortable.

Oh i agree....once you get an UQ......you will NEVER look back :D

glassymountain
10-24-2010, 10:12
I used an Exped Synmat 7 Deluxe at 40 degrees and was plenty warm. I then bought a JRB No Sniveler with the intent of using it as a top quilt. I tried it once as an underquilt and have never used the mat since - the No Sniveler is now a permanent underquilt.

Festus Hagen
10-24-2010, 10:31
Yeah, as has been said there are so many variables.

I've been comfortable on a 40 degree night just zipped into my 15 rated mummy bag, no pad nothing. Same bag, same temp, WITH a pad and I've been chilly (rainy, windy night).

On a 20 degree night, I slept overly warm with a single CCF pad and a -30 bag. Hey, it worked, but I wouldn't have wanted to carry that bag on my back very far.

I have an UQ but it's heavy, I still use a partial CCF pad if it's not too cold and weight is an issue. At some point I'll probably have a lightweight UQ and ditch the pads all together but I don't mind using them so much.