PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" Wide Thinlight Pads to be discontinued!?

Egads
11-20-2007, 06:34
This is from the Gossamer Gear newsletter

"Thinlights
I need some help here folks. We're going to discontinue the 1/4 inch standard, but are debating the 1/4 inch wide. The wide was brought out by request by hammock campers for a wider pad, but we haven't heard back from anyone if they actually like these or not. We're out of both now but are on the fence with re-ordering the wides, so if you have an opinion let me hear it please."

[email protected]

Egads

bmike
11-20-2007, 07:37
This is from the Gossamer Gear newsletter

"Thinlights
I need some help here folks. We're going to discontinue the 1/4 inch standard, but are debating the 1/4 inch wide. The wide was brought out by request by hammock campers for a wider pad, but we haven't heard back from anyone if they actually like these or not. We're out of both now but are on the fence with re-ordering the wides, so if you have an opinion let me hear it please."

[email protected]

Egads

Heard this too from an email from GG. Sent an email requesting a wide... hopefully they'll keep them around. I like my narrow - it was all they had when I ordered.

Ewker
11-20-2007, 08:37
how do their pads compare to the 30" wide ones Ed sells?
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm

Take-a-knee
11-20-2007, 10:11
how do their pads compare to the 30" wide ones Ed sells?
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm

I didn't know Ed sold those pads, they look just like the pads from Oware, same thickness but the one's from Speer are longer. I trimmed my Oware pads 28in and they are almost too narrow, though they work fine for my daughter. That 30in pad should be perfect.

Dingus Khan
11-24-2007, 20:56
hey all,
i just finished an email to grant, went online to purchase one and was confronted with the big red print.
as far as temp rating goes, is there a final verdict regarding the thickness which is most appropriate for all year use? (I have a HH and have been down to 20 with just a ccf pad from walmart with clothes and an EMS Mountainlight 20 bag; warm and toasty.) I have heard a lot of banter about the 1/4" vs 3/8" in terms of warmth and packability but i was hoping to hear that one was dramatically superior... it is only 1/8th of a difference. note - i do need to ground pound occasionally (spouse) and therefore i would not consider the 1/8th" since it offers little padding.

the reason I ask is because I only want to carry ONE piece of equipment and do not want the hassle of "cold temp-add -ons" such as extra seat pads or UQ. (I have always wanted to make an UQ, I am just not in a position where sewing is an option....)
I would love some advice!!
thanks,

Cuffs
11-24-2007, 21:18
The padding that Speer sells looks just like the stuff I posted that i got from the auto upholstery shop...

warbonnetguy
11-24-2007, 21:24
instead of winter add ons, you could just use a whole seperate pad. if you want to have only one pad, and want it to be warm in winter, you will need the 3/8" at a bare minimum, and it may not be enough if you sleep in really cold temps, i've been cold with a 3/8" forest service issue pad. i've got a 5/8" pad that works at least into the single digits if not farther by itself, but there is no way i/m carrying it in summer.

an 1/8" difference between the 1/4 and the 3/8 will be noticeable. it's 50% thicker than the 1/4", that means 50% warmer.

ccf pads are relativly cheap, so there's no reason not to have several thicknesses for different seasons. if you don't care about the added weight or bulk and just wanted 1, i would go with the 3/8, just know that you may need more somewhere below freezing. the 3/8" should be good at least to there though if not a bit farther.

Dingus Khan
11-25-2007, 16:36
thanks, that was a great help.
i wish the 3/8ths came in wide, but i'll have to order two and duct tape some wings like some else mentioned

:rolleyes:

bmike
11-25-2007, 16:49
an 1/8" difference between the 1/4 and the 3/8 will be noticeable. it's 50% thicker than the 1/4", that means 50% warmer.

just questioning the math here... not sure how 'R' values would work, but if it is 50% thicker, wouldn't it only be 1/3 warmer? :confused:

1/4 / 1/8 vs. 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8?

warbonnetguy
11-25-2007, 17:10
if it's 50% thicker how could it not be 50% warmer? a 1/2" ccf will be twice as warm as a 1/4" a 1/4" will be twice as warm as a 1/8". 3/8" will be 50% warmer/thicker than 1/4"

this will be true as long as you care comparing the same quality of ccf of course.

GrizzlyAdams
11-25-2007, 17:47
just to muddy the waters further, the R values GG lists on their site (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html) are

~0.45 for 1/8
~0.90 for 1/4
~1.42 for 3/8

so an 1/8 pad with a 1/4 pad has an R value of ~1.35, while
a pad that is straight up 3/8 is ~1.42.

huh?

Grizz

warbonnetguy
11-25-2007, 20:13
i bet the 1/8" and the 1/4" are the exact same ccf, and the 3/8" is different. slightly better foam.

skar578
11-25-2007, 20:15
but that makes no sense. it could be from two different suppliers, and the 3/8 just so happens to be warmer.

Ewker
11-25-2007, 20:24
I wonder if the air space between the 2 pads make a difference.

GrizzlyAdams
11-25-2007, 20:31
I wonder if the air space between the 2 pads make a difference.

I wondered that too at first, but then noticed that 2 1/8" pads have the same R value as 1 1/4" pads. If air mattered with 1/4" + 1/8" you'd think it would matter with 1/8" + 1/8".

Different materials is a good guess. Error on website is another!

Grizz

Dingus Khan
11-25-2007, 20:32
grant from GG responded to my email and will be receiving shipment of the 1/4" wide pads this week, WHOO HOO!!!

darn i wish they had the 3/8" in wide..

skar578
11-25-2007, 20:51
or like OWF says, the numbers may be a bit off due to the calculator on each computer.

nickelanddime
11-25-2007, 21:01
as far as R value goes, I remember reading about "thermal seep" or "gradient" or "thermocline formation" in college and it was an exponential function of thickness in solids which made them not line up with the R value of fluids like air... this may or may not be it, I'm really sorry I can't give you more than that