PDA

View Full Version : cooking forum?

RustyNails
10-23-2010, 21:06
i see all kinds of awsome forums on here but i never seen a cooking forum. I got the idea from tiny at mini bull design he talks about all kinds of cool backpacking cooking ideas.

JerryW
10-23-2010, 21:10
All it takes is a small donation to become a Donating Member and you will have access to the 'Camp Kitchen' forum(and many others). :)

Jerry

BLUEFIN 774
10-23-2010, 21:41
Well that is reason enough to become a donating member.

Tinny has some great videos of cooking. One of my favorite sites is MBD.

Barefoot Child
10-23-2010, 21:59
Yes indeedy....a very good reason to be a donating member...."Come over to the darkside and experience a different ride". :boggle:

Roadtorque
10-23-2010, 22:34
I wish there were a way to "peak" into the donating member section. I really have no interest in becoming a donating member...and then an interesting item like this comes up. I think it would encourage us to donate if we could see what we were missing out on.

AstrayKat
10-24-2010, 01:00
I wish there were a way to "peak" into the donating member section. I really have no interest in becoming a donating member...and then an interesting item like this comes up. I think it would encourage us to donate if we could see what we were missing out on.

I agree. Until I read this...

JerryW;341109]All it takes is a small donation to become a Donating Member and you will have access to the 'Camp Kitchen' forum(and many others). :)

Jerry

... I was under the impression that the only reasons to become a donating member was to turn off the ads and support your favorite forum.

--Kat

Humpback
10-24-2010, 01:48
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread and have just paid up. It'll keep me occupied this morning whilst I wait for the F1 Korean Grand Prix to actually start (or not).
Alan

Rob_
10-24-2010, 08:03
I've seen references to the cooking forum as well and gave up on finding it. Maybe its a case of RTFM, but I haven't seen any indication of the benefits of being a donating member.

I run a few websites on lunarpages for friends and my DU chapter and the only out of pocket expenses are $9/mo for the main account + 28/yr for anonymous domain registration per site. So I have to ask myself, if they have advertisers, then why the need for donations?

KerMegan
10-24-2010, 09:22
Well, most of the ads I see are from forum members who have started a little cottage biz, to supply the perceived need, that was not a big enough market for the main camping mfg. to pursue. Also a chance for you to let the Mods know that you appreciate their work, and that you have learned something of value from using the site.
KM (who has to keep squashing the phrase 'love offering' right out of her thought stream..)

PS rob- look for 'Camp Kitchen'

slowhike
10-24-2010, 09:29
Here are the extra forums seen by Donating Members.
I'm not at all familiar w/ the technical up keep of a site like this & the cost involved, but I do believe the requirement to access the Donating Members section has far more to do w/ keeping the main web site (as seen by all on the WWW) focused on our main goal, hammocks.
The willingness of a small donation from a HF member shows a little more commitment to the site & the well being of the community, & therefore allows them to venture into some of the "Off Topic" conversations.
But I'm quite sure it's not about the money. It's non profit (money wise) for members, moderators, administrators, & web site owners.
I'm sure one of the other mods can add more when they return.

Donating Members Off-Topic Forum

Roundtable Off-Topic
Family Friendly Please!
Sub-Forums: April Fools Day Threads, Vintage Hammock Contest Threads

Backpacks

Camp Kitchen (1 Viewing)
Stoves, cookware, utensils, water treatments, etc.

Clothing
Buffs, Shoes, Rain Gear, etc.

Cutlery
Knives, saws, hatchets and other edged tools.

Paddling (9 Viewing)
Discussion of all things related to paddling (canoes, kayaks, etc)

Pro Vagabond
10-24-2010, 09:40
I just became a donating member, not to get access to all the other areas(which I will spend the afternoon searching), but as a thank you to the people who started the site and keep it running. Guys, it cost $10. I spent more on beer last night and had two drinks. The point is, support the site if you are here. (sorry, if I offended anyone...)

Love the site, the people, the hang-outs, and the sharing of knowledge and ideas.

Hooch
10-24-2010, 10:15
I have to agree with Vagabond. I think that the wealth of knowledge here is alone worth the annual $10 donation. Add to that the entertainment value, the friendships developed, the camaraderie at hangs and the tons of stuff in off topic in the donating members section and the nearly negligible donation is a steal. The forum doesn't exist without donations, so I think it incumbent on the folks here who are regular users to help support the forum they utulize. Bottom line: A measly $10 is well worth it just for the cooking forum.

fourdog
10-24-2010, 14:10
To me it's money well spent , for a great service to the hammock
commuity as well as anyone that loves the outdoors.

My daddy always said pull your fare share. The $ 10.00 is at least what I can do for a fine service such as hammockforms.

fourdog

Rob_
10-24-2010, 14:16
KerMegan - I paid the $10 and now I can see it.

BigLazy
10-24-2010, 14:23
I just became a donating member, not to get access to all the other areas(which I will spend the afternoon searching), but as a thank you to the people who started the site and keep it running. Guys, it cost $10. I spent more on beer last night and had two drinks. The point is, support the site if you are here. (sorry, if I offended anyone...)

Love the site, the people, the hang-outs, and the sharing of knowledge and ideas.

I agree with Vagabond also. the forum has saved me much more than it costs. thanks to all that keep it up and going.

JohnSawyer
10-24-2010, 14:23
I, for one, am a recent donating member (6 months or so) and have definitely gotten my money's worth... If my wife adds up all the time I've spent here, it's probably less than $0.002 per hour... :lol:

gunner76
10-24-2010, 14:48
I am a donating member here and at WhiteBlaze. Well worth the few bucks it cost. The few adds that do appear are nothing compared to other backpack camping related sites out there. I have run across misinformation on other sites that require that I join and give them my credit card information just so I can then "report" the wrong information.

While the cost of hosting a web site, domain name ect has come down in price, it still costs money and a good forum program like the one used here also cost money and you have to pay to upgrade the program. While there are some very good free forum programs out there (and I use one) they do not have as many features, ease of use ect as the one used by Hammock Forums.