PDA

View Full Version : HR vs Mt. Washington 3 as UQ

Javaman
10-24-2010, 21:37
Recent JRB specials make me wonder about the differences between the Mt. Washington 3 (which I have and like) and the HR as UQ's. The JRB site speaks of the MW as being differentially cut. Is the HR cut the same way? Any HR performance difference as an UQ from the MW?

Thanks,

Javaman

G.L.P.
10-24-2010, 23:36
Recent JRB specials make me wonder about the differences between the Mt. Washington 3 (which I have and like) and the HR as UQ's. The JRB site speaks of the MW as being differentially cut. Is the HR cut the same way? Any HR performance difference as an UQ from the MW?

Thanks,

Javaman

The HR is not a Diff cut quilt...it will work as a UQ...but i find it works better as a TQ ...
and since you have a MW3...the HR would be a great add on as a TQ

Javaman
10-25-2010, 08:28
The HR is not a Diff cut quilt...it will work as a UQ...but i find it works better as a TQ ...
and since you have a MW3...the HR would be a great add on as a TQ

The HR is the UQ offered in their "all in one" set. I have one I use as a TQ and agree it works well. I'm going to end up switching out my HH's for BMBH's for other family members so I'm trying to figure out the best options for quilts.

tjm
10-25-2010, 08:58
I asked the Jacks a similar question before I bought an Old Rag Mt and a HR.

I wanted as much flexibility as possible so I wanted the quilt to be able to function as a TQ or a UQ.

Jacks told me that the "non-differential cut" quilts like the HR work as both TQs and UQs on BMBHs and the differential cut makes the MW series are a bit less suitable as TQ.

So I took from that advice that if you are looking for a quilt that can serve as both a TQ and as an UQ for a BMBH you are better off with the HR.

But, if you are looking for a dedicated UQ, than the differential cut makes better use of the same quantity of down and the MW3 would be the choice.

Just for fun, I hung both the ORM and the HR as an "UQ set" this weekend.

I learned that:
1.) the two quilts can be suspended together without compression of either quilt, so they work as a set
2.) I can be too warm on one side and too cold on the other - so no matter how many inches of loft underneath me, I still need a TQ at 30 deg F.

jloden
10-25-2010, 09:38
I used my Hudson River as an UQ (Sierra Sniveller as a TQ) friday in 32 degree weather and I woke up sweating. I have no trouble believing I could make it down to the 20 degree rating using a HR as bottom insulation, just need some colder days to find out ;)

I don't have a MW3 to compare to but the're both rated to 20 deg by JRB so I would expect reasonably comparable performance. I'm sure the MW is better as a dedicated UQ but the HR is no slouch.

Javaman
10-26-2010, 21:59
Oh the obsession!