PDA

View Full Version : Snug as a bug in my Incubator

Peg-Leg
10-26-2010, 21:47
Got to put my Incubator UQ by Stormcrow to good use over the weekend. Nice and warm. Temps in the 30's, actually got a little hot.

I highly suggest the Incubator. Stormcrow's quilts are top notch.

Peg-leg

GoodTalkRuss
10-26-2010, 22:22
PG,

Which version is this? Summer, 3S, Winter? Is the fill 800 or 900.

Cheers,
Russ

Peg-Leg
10-26-2010, 22:32
PG,

Which version is this? Summer, 3S, Winter? Is the fill 800 or 900.

Cheers,
Russ

Winter, 900 fp, 2 oz's overstuff. SC added two per my request, not necessary though.

Can't Wait
10-28-2010, 14:04
i am glad I am nor able to order mine for another month or 2 can't decide on crows nest or incubator in winter version I am going to see how my 3/4 DIY 3 season does in low 3o's tonight which will help me decide.

Lonely Raven
10-28-2010, 14:11
Winter, 900 fp, 2 oz's overstuff. SC added two per my request, not necessary though.

Weird, that's word for word what I ordered for myself. I did however ask for 4" wider since I'm a side sleeper and I find myself hanging just a bit past the quilt when I'm squirming around in my sleep.

Buffalo Skipper
10-28-2010, 14:13
Peg-Leg,
Thanks, especially for the pics. I am about to order a 3S Incubator (tomorrow). Do you have any pics showing more detail on how the UQ is hung/attached to the hammock? Having never seen a real UQ (in person), I am trying to grasp how these attach correctly. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Muskrat
10-28-2010, 14:49
Just sold my newly purchased Winter CrowsNest so that I could buy the Winter Incubator. Assuming they attach the same way, the black bungie cord, which travels through a channel on each side of the UQ, is one continuous loop that goes from one end of your hammock to the other. It connects by either looping the bungie cord over the gathered end of the hammock or by two "S" biners (one for each end of your hammock) which comes with the UQ. Very simple connection either way. Hope that helps. ;)

Lonely Raven
10-28-2010, 15:00
Just sold my newly purchased Winter CrowsNest so that I could buy the Winter Incubator. Assuming they attach the same way, the black bungie cord, which travels through a channel on each side of the UQ, is one continuous loop that goes from one end of your hammock to the other. It connects by either looping the bungie cord over the gathered end of the hammock or by two "S" biners (one for each end of your hammock) which comes with the UQ. Very simple connection either way. Hope that helps. ;)

Sounds very similar to how the Yeti attaches. You just loop the bungie over the "knob" at the end of the hammock. Very easy to adjust and so very easy to do!

Peg-Leg
10-28-2010, 21:52
Peg-Leg,
Thanks, especially for the pics. I am about to order a 3S Incubator (tomorrow). Do you have any pics showing more detail on how the UQ is hung/attached to the hammock? Having never seen a real UQ (in person), I am trying to grasp how these attach correctly. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

BS, as of now I don't. However it's very simple in that the shock cord loop just hooks over the gathered end of your hammock.

PG

Peg-Leg
10-28-2010, 21:54
Sounds very similar to how the Yeti attaches. You just loop the bungie over the "knob" at the end of the hammock. Very easy to adjust and so very easy to do!

On SC's newer UQ's he has added additional shock cord that keeps the ends snugly against the hammock. It's a nice feature and a good idea from SC.

Wags
10-28-2010, 22:38
2 oz overstuff winter incubator... man i bet you don't even need a top quilt until you hit 20 degrees

GoodTalkRuss
10-28-2010, 23:55
Thanks Peg-Leg,

I've actually found this whole Winter vs 3-season vs Summer option very confusing. Winter conditions for Europeans and Nth Americans are far more extreme than what we experience in NSW, Aust.

I ended up taking a punt and went for a Summer Crowsnest with 900-fill. According to Stormcrow this will get me down to 1-2*C. Matched to an equivalent TQ this should be fine as a 4-season for me. :unsure:

Only time will tell. Anyway, it's almost summer here so I don't need to worry about being cold until next year. :D

Cheers,
Russ

Lonely Raven
10-29-2010, 07:29
Matched to an equivalent TQ this should be fine as a 4-season for me. :unsure:

Wow, I wish! In Chicago, I'm looking to have a Summer, 3 Season, and Winter setup just to be comfortable!

Can't Wait
10-30-2010, 11:13
Ok so I don't start another thread does anyone have a pick or size of the winter incubator 900 fill compressed I know 900 fill bags pack small but not sure of UQ thanks

Peg-Leg
11-02-2010, 23:06
Ok so I don't start another thread does anyone have a pick or size of the winter incubator 900 fill compressed I know 900 fill bags pack small but not sure of UQ thanks

I rarely use my stuff sack anymore, but from memory it's around 16 inches long and maybe 8 inches in diameter. I had the 3/4 length crowsnest and there's not much difference between the two.

I prefer a full UQ so there's less "fiddle factor" during the night.

I'll try and add a pic of the UQ stuff later this week.

GroundHog
11-03-2010, 08:11
In the stuff sack from Stormcrow...

Length 14 1/2 inches
Diameter 7 inches

Total weight in stuff sack with the 2 plastic Nite-ize s biners:
28.95 oz

Without the s-biners:
28.7 oz

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/71/171/0/54/34/2301054340105105841ClswUQ_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2301054340105105841ClswUQ)

http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/71/171/5/56/68/2249556680105105841fDpZrK_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2249556680105105841fDpZrK)

Lonely Raven
11-03-2010, 08:30
Again, thanks for those photos.

Buenos
11-03-2010, 08:58
I cannot say enough about my 3 season incubator, Storm Crow's service and the quality of his products. I am very happy.

My first outing (posted in trips section) was a trial run of hammock camping. A 70 mile trek through the Washington Cascades. I was warm, and cozy. Snug in a bug... I mean: Snug as a bug in a rug.

Rilmoigan
11-03-2010, 09:50
-the 3-season is just fantastic. I slept outside last night; here in Kenduskeag, Maine it got down to below 20 degrees. And I was warm and toasty through it all. (I have an 800FP with 2 oz. of overstuffing)

Stormcrow figures that should be good down to at least 20F, but I can tell you it can go lower than that.

That said, whether you are a warm or cold sleeper has a good bit to do with it also. I generate a LOT of heat, so that helps.

Can't Wait
11-03-2010, 10:01
Thanks for pics I am going 900 down winter so should pack down like a second sleeping bag I don't use the stuff sacks

sturgeon
11-06-2010, 13:14
Thanks Peg-Leg,

I've actually found this whole Winter vs 3-season vs Summer option very confusing. Winter conditions for Europeans and Nth Americans are far more extreme than what we experience in NSW, Aust.

I ended up taking a punt and went for a Summer Crowsnest with 900-fill. According to Stormcrow this will get me down to 1-2*C. Matched to an equivalent TQ this should be fine as a 4-season for me. :unsure:

Russ

hey Russ, i did the same thing and just ordered a summer UQ 900 "Incubator" and summer TQ 900 "Burrow" ---and i live in Ontario, not NSW! My thinking was most of my outings are in the summer, so get something that will do for summer nights. I hate being too hot.

In late August and September at night, that combo hopefully will get me close to zero* C, which in southern Ontario is fairly rare (and no elevation issues, i.e. Ontario is FLAT and near sea level.) If I sleep out in below freezing temps, that requires a rethink of all my gear anyway.

If I start getting into winter camping, I'll just go for a dedicated winter quilt system.

BTW where do you hike there? You're really lucky. I did a nice day-hike in the Blue Mountains to the Ruined Castle. Beautiful and interesting country, even without getting off the main paths.