PDA

View Full Version : HH Hex Fly questions

Cuffs
11-24-2007, 13:26
I was able to get that extra large sil hex fly when I ordered my HH Desert Rat. I was reading on another thread about the cat cut tarps and there was a photo of a cat cut tarp overlying a HH tarp.

For those who own this larger HH tarp, how do you pitch it so that it is taught? (no flapping in the wind.)

I love the super size of this tarp!! What is the possibility of having the HH tarp cut and sewn to have the curved cuts?

Cannibal
11-24-2007, 13:40
You should be able to cut cat-cuts in it without losing too much coverage. It has a 12' ridgeline right (can't remember if it's 10' or 12')? Should be plenty of coverage if you go that route. The MacCat standard uses a 10' ridge. It gets a little close with the longer hammocks like the Exlporer and Safari models, but should work on the Rat.

Cannibal
11-24-2007, 13:44
I was wrong, the micro uses a 10' ridge; sorry.

neo
11-24-2007, 14:09
I was able to get that extra large sil hex fly when I ordered my HH Desert Rat. I was reading on another thread about the cat cut tarps and there was a photo of a cat cut tarp overlying a HH tarp.

For those who own this larger HH tarp, how do you pitch it so that it is taught? (no flapping in the wind.)

I love the super size of this tarp!! What is the possibility of having the HH tarp cut and sewn to have the curved cuts?

i really like :) the hex silnylon tarp,extreme coverage for its lite wieght,pitches
very taunt,a haven in an extreme down pour with room to stand,stretch,cook
excellent taro:cool: neo

BillyBob58
11-24-2007, 17:15
I have this tarp over my JRB Bridge hammock in the back yard( heavy rains expected.). The Mac Cat Deluxe was not quite big enough for this hammock, though it very nearly was.

I would like it even better if it had a cat cut, but it's really pretty good like it is. Lot's of coverage and a surprisingly taut pitch for a non-cat cut.

NCPatrick
12-12-2007, 09:38
I've ordered this tarp (should get it tomorrow) with the idea of cat cutting the sides. Is there a slight cat curve on the ends already? It looks that way in the pictures y'all have posted.

I'll have to gather up the nerve to do the operation and consult with lvleph's cat cut spreadsheet. Maybe after Christmas. Will definitely post pictures afterwards, even if it turns out badly... :p

BillyBob58
12-12-2007, 09:42
You should be able to cut cat-cuts in it without losing too much coverage. It has a 12' ridgeline right (can't remember if it's 10' or 12')? Should be plenty of coverage if you go that route. The MacCat standard uses a 10' ridge. It gets a little close with the longer hammocks like the Exlporer and Safari models, but should work on the Rat.

The sil hex has a 12 ft ridge, the HH PU hex has 11 ft ridge( measured 'em both, swapped the PU for the Sil). And of course, my MC DELUXE had a 10.8 ft ridge. I may cat cut my sil hex someday, but really, so far, it's not all that bad in the wind. I've experienced worse.

Cannibal
12-12-2007, 09:43
If it ain't broke......

NCPatrick
12-12-2007, 09:44
If it ain't broke......
fix it... :D

DougTheElder
12-12-2007, 09:59
Bungee line tensioners work pretty well on mine. DTE

NCPatrick
12-12-2007, 10:09
Hmm... I'll have to set it up then and see what it's like.

GrizzlyAdams
12-12-2007, 11:11
comment without benefit of having actually seen one of these HH sil tarps...

The hiking poles on my bridge force a wide pitch on the sides, meaning that it takes longer sides to reach the ground. So I've been musing making a tarp with appropriate dimensions. Perhaps could start with an HH sil hex, and sew on extensions on the sides which are cat-cut. A mistake involves carefully ripping seams rather than trashing a nice tarp.

Grizz

NCPatrick
12-12-2007, 22:33
Would the new 11x10 JRB tarp not be wide enough for your bridge hammock...?

GrizzlyAdams
12-12-2007, 23:58
Would the new 11x10 JRB tarp not be wide enough for your bridge hammock...?

The dimensions of that tarp are the same as that of the PU HH hex tarp I think.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/hex-tarp.jpg

(that's ice on the tarp). Here I'm hung about as low as I go without scraping the ground, the ends of the poles just touch the sides of the tarp when empty, and there's still over a foot gap between the edge of the tarp and the ground. So if I want to snug the tarp closer to the ground the tarp would have to be wider.

Grizz

Just Jeff
12-13-2007, 00:01
Looks like you need side tie-outs.

GrizzlyAdams
12-13-2007, 00:08
Looks like you need side tie-outs.

as in gripper clips in the middle of the side to pull that out 90 degrees in the width direction of the hammock? Could create more space under the tarp, but by itself isn't enough to bring the edges closer to the ground. Or do you mean on the ends of the tarp, to try and create a two-slope pitch like a barn roof? Not sure how to do the latter without more trees, appropriately placed.

it's a puzzle to be sure.

Grizz

Just Jeff
12-13-2007, 06:39
True - but it would give you more room inside, using the same amount of material...and a volume that shaped almost exactly like your hammock so it's an efficient use of weight.

But if you really want it to touch the ground, you'll need more fabric...not sure there's another way to do it. Just use the normal sized tarp with side pull-outs and get a hammock sock. JMHO.

GrizzlyAdams
12-13-2007, 06:48
True - but it would give you more room inside, using the same amount of material...and a volume that shaped almost exactly like your hammock so it's an efficient use of weight.

I hadn't thought of side tie-outs as a way of lifting the tarp farther way from the poles. I can stitch in tabs at the right places on the edges of the tarp. Should help with that issue. An excellent idea.

But if you really want it to touch the ground, you'll need more fabric...not sure there's another way to do it. Just use the normal sized tarp with side pull-outs and get a hammock sock. JMHO.

Funny you should mention that. Hmm... (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=39803&postcount=1)

It's patterned in part after your TravelPod.

Grizz

slowhike
12-13-2007, 07:25
the pull outs would definitely make a difference.
in this picture you can see that i would have liked to have had mine both lower & farther apart.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9030063.JPG

i like the spacious effect of the pull outs so much that i am thinking i will add another seam from end to end w/ several grosgrain tabs so i will have a choice in how far apart i used the pull outs.

also, the pull out tabs act as stabilizers in high wind.

the extra seam you see in the picture (about 12" from the bottom edge) is for attaching a side wall.
that may be something that would work well w/ the bridge hammock.

NCPatrick
12-13-2007, 08:09
The dimensions of that tarp are the same as that of the PU HH hex tarp I think.

Grizz

Actually, I don't think so. According to the Hennessy Accessory page:

"70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 132"x 120" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 9oz , 700 g."

and

"30D "HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 19 oz."

Oh, wait... you were comparing JRB 11x10 tarp to the PU 11x10 HH tarp. (Sorry, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!).

GrizzlyAdams
12-13-2007, 08:18
Actually, I don't think so. According to the Hennessy Accessory page:

"70D "HEX"-SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 132"x 120" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 9oz , 700 g."

and

"30D "HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY
Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 19 oz."

Oh, wait... you were comparing JRB 11x10 tarp to the PU 11x10 HH tarp. (Sorry, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!).

yeah. With the obvious exception that the JRB tarp wall has a longer length.

It's frustrating banging around Marriotts all over the country this week when I have a brand spanking new JRB winter tarp at home waiting to be pitched for the first time. :(

guess I better sleep inside my first night home...wife's having a hard time understanding the attraction of hanging in the yard.. :( :( :(

Grizz

NCPatrick
12-13-2007, 08:23
You can still hang it when you get home, but I guess you won't get to sleep under it right away...

NCPatrick
12-13-2007, 12:49
My tarp is showing as "Delivered" at home. And I have a couple of hours before I can get home... so I can relate (a little).

Cuffs
12-13-2007, 13:19
My tarp is showing as "Delivered" at home. And I have a couple of hours before I can get home... so I can relate (a little).

Dont you just hate that!! Drives me crazy!

NCPatrick
12-14-2007, 10:30
Still haven't had a chance to hang my hh silnylon tarp, and I'm all booked until tomorrow.

I may get a chance to test it tomorrow night in the wind. Low expected to be 33°F, winds from NW at 10-20mph, 60% chance of precipitation... sounds like a good test for it, right?

BillyBob58
12-14-2007, 11:34
Still haven't had a chance to hang my hh silnylon tarp, and I'm all booked until tomorrow.

I may get a chance to test it tomorrow night in the wind. Low expected to be 33°F, winds from NW at 10-20mph, 60% chance of precipitation... sounds like a good test for it, right?

Absolutely! Cold wind and rain! looking forward to the results, good or bad!

NCPatrick
12-14-2007, 11:41
Absolutely! Cold wind and rain! looking forward to the results, good or bad!

Cool beans. I've been enjoying all the pictures of this tarp you posted in another thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2358). It gave me something to look at while I waited for delivery. I'll definitely post about how my cold windy night went... hopefully with some pictures of the setup.

DougTheElder
12-14-2007, 13:40
Good luck and have fun! I've got the HH Silnylon Hex tarp and, even when I tie the tarp's ridge line lower than the hammock supports, the sag when the hammock gets loaded takes the hammock a fair distance below the tarp because the support lines hold the tarp up. I'm sure some of you old timers know the cure for this. I think the answer is most likely to be a sock or an end panel of some sort. If this 80* weather stays much longer here in the South it won't really matter...we'll be trying to open up to catch the breeze.

NCPatrick
12-14-2007, 13:52
Hmmm... I'll check into this tomorrow. I guess it wouldn't matter too much since the tarp is so large. Seems like you could stake it directly to the ground (at least on one side) and still have plenty of room.

I think the 80's have moved on by... so now we move into the 50's and 60's for a while. Still not Winter weather by any means, but maybe more in line with Fall.

thanks!

BillyBob58
12-14-2007, 16:58
Good luck and have fun! I've got the HH Silnylon Hex tarp and, even when I tie the tarp's ridge line lower than the hammock supports, the sag when the hammock gets loaded takes the hammock a fair distance below the tarp because the support lines hold the tarp up. I'm sure some of you old timers know the cure for this. I think the answer is most likely to be a sock or an end panel of some sort. If this 80* weather stays much longer here in the South it won't really matter...we'll be trying to open up to catch the breeze.

Of course, that applies equally to all hammocks tied to the trees- they are going to stay put as the hammock sags. The only alternative is to attach tarp to hammock. Then they will stay close together, BUT then you also have a loose tarp- unless you can come up with a lot of tricks to overcome that tendency. And it aint easy to overcome. But either way, at least the larger hammock gives better coverage.