PDA

View Full Version : Shamu Vs Uni

mugs
10-27-2010, 23:59
OK I like the weights and prices (I am hesitant to buy syn for my own personal reasons) but what is the difference between the Shamu and the Universal (since there is no picture of the uni)? The Shamu weighs 10 oz and the Uni 8 oz...both full length which is what I am thinking of using whether it be down or syn.

Also will these work for my WBBB 1.0 Double. What is the temp rating of these. And why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do? Do these "hug" like down? OK enough questions.

PuckerFactor
10-28-2010, 00:57
I'm sure Mac will chime in in the morning, but I believe the difference is the Shamu has a layer of nylon on the outside.

Hope that helps,
Acer

smithobx
10-28-2010, 08:41
OK I like the weights and prices (I am hesitant to buy syn for my own personal reasons) but what is the difference between the Shamu and the Universal (since there is no picture of the uni)? The Shamu weighs 10 oz and the Uni 8 oz...both full length which is what I am thinking of using whether it be down or syn.

Also will these work for my WBBB 1.0 Double. What is the temp rating of these. And why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do? Do these "hug" like down? OK enough questions.

The Shamu has a 1.1 ripstop outer cover, the IXuq does not. Yes it will work with the WBBB. Temperature ratings are a very personal thing, but most people are able to get down to the mid thirties judging from the comments of our customers. Hope this helps, John

mugs
10-28-2010, 21:35
Bought the Shamu, hope it gets here before the 5th.

shogun_8574
10-30-2010, 01:54
I was wondering how much room in the pack the Shamu takes up? Seems like it would be very small compared to a down UQ.:confused:

mugs
11-01-2010, 02:26
When it gets here I'll let you know. Of course some pics will be involved as well.

scooterdogma
11-01-2010, 05:27
I used the Shamu on my last section hike. I was on top of Walnut Mountain on the AT in one of the original shelters, read open to every wind that howled that night. The temps were hovering around 28 degrees. I was the only one there, so I hung in the shelter. I had a Blackbird, down bag rated to 25 degree, GG 1/4 pad and a 3/4 Shamu. I was warm and slept like a baby. I am female and I sleep cold, just for clarification. Mac has a great product for a good price.

MacEntyre
11-01-2010, 05:58
why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do?
Using only two thin layers of IX, a Torso Heater, and one layer of nylon or none at all, is minimal material. Spreading a thin layer of down out in a similar manner doesn't work well.

Do these "hug" like down?
You do need to make sure of the fit by eliminating edge gaps, and then it will feel warm and huggy like down. When you get inside an IX UQ, the warmth is immediate.

...and a 3/4 Shamu.
Not that it really matters, you can call it what you wish, but if it is 3/4 length, it is a Baby Orca! :D

mugs
11-04-2010, 19:42
Got the Shamu today. Looks good, I did a trial run/hang in my garage. The ambient temp was about 40*f. Once I got things cinched up , and figured out and played around with it till there was no air gaps I stayed comfortable, bot toasty but not cold either. I only had on jeans, socks, long sleeve shirt and a hoody, so keep that in mind. Tomorrow I am going my first initial outside hang (over nighter) car camping style. I will be giving a backpacking seminar to some boy scouts, but figured I could use the opportunity to test out my new gear as well. Will post with pics when I get back.