PDA

View Full Version : Expedition?

bredler
11-27-2007, 01:48
Is the extra weight savings of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym worth the $40 more you pay over the Expedition Asym?

What do most people have?

Is it worth the extra $40 now that for the holidays you get a t-shirt and the hex fly?

Thanks,
Brendan

Just Jeff
11-27-2007, 07:01
Depends on your budget and how much you want to reduce your pack weight. Do you have the extra $40 to spend for that much weight savings?

Take-a-knee
11-27-2007, 07:55
If money is tight just get the expedition for now, there is nothing wrong with having two hammocks. I bought an expedition for $85 on ebay, it "lives" on a hammock stand on my back porch. I do think the UL Backpacker is worth the money if you are hiking much. If I had to live in my hammock for months I'd use the expedition.

bredler
11-27-2007, 10:53
Why would you choose the expedition over the ULB for longterm use?

kohburn
11-27-2007, 12:04
the material is a little more heavy duty, which also reduces stretching and sagging.

i'm perfectly happy with my expedition and exploration models (the smaller one is my wifes)

FanaticFringer
11-27-2007, 16:47
I have a ULB and have had 2 Expeditions in the past that I sold on E-bay.
They both sleep about the same. Another option you might consider is to get the ULB without the tarp. You'd have to call or e-mail them about this. The stock tarp is pretty small and offers little room for error in bad weather. Upgrade to one of the bigger tarps talked about around here. The Sportmans Guide 9x9 is a popular budget minded bigger tarp www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247

Javaman
11-27-2007, 23:39
I have an Explorer Ultralight because I am 6'2". Just got the t-shirt and green hex fly free since I bought a HH Scout for my second son for Xmas. The t-shirt is black with silver lettering with a big HH picture on the back, the fly is green and pretty heavy (not silnylon), although it's larger size will provide better wet weather protection than the stock tarp. Suggest you check out some of the cat style tarps discussed in some of the tarp threads and see if it doesn't make sense to apply the $40 there.