PDA

View Full Version : any love for me in the sil category?

skar578
11-27-2007, 22:29
well, I seem to have the worst of luck, i have been asking for brown or green sil since pretty much august. NPC asks once and someone else has it in stock. That goes to show, someone up there is punishing me...

so does anyone have any forest green or brown silnylon? I am always oging to be in need of it, so try to remember.

*starts singing* "All I want for Christmas is Sil..."

Cuffs
11-27-2007, 23:04
I'll be visiting several area Wally's over the next couple weeks, I'll keep my eyes open for ya!!

slowhike
11-28-2007, 11:08
I'll be visiting several area Wally's over the next couple weeks, I'll keep my eyes open for ya!!

sorry, but i'm still skeptical about some of the stuff you guys are finding at wal-mart being silnylon:rolleyes:
not trying to question your judgement... apparently some has been found, but i can't help but wonder if some of what people are calling silnylon isn't just a treated (DWR?) ripstop<G>

Cannibal
11-28-2007, 11:13
You can try putting it on the floor and standing on it. If you fall on your arse, it's sil. :)

slowhike
11-28-2007, 11:21
You can try putting it on the floor and standing on it. If you fall on your arse, it's sil. :)

yeah, sil is slick stuff<g>... kinda crinkly like wax paper too.

eflat7
11-28-2007, 13:11
yeah, sil is slick stuff<g>... kinda crinkly like wax paper too.

Yeah I have never found sil at my walmart, although I have found plenty of ripstop and DWR. I found 100% polyester (treated with something.. cant blow through it and passed water test) in brown. The kelty noah tarps are polyester so I guess my homemade tarp will be at least comparable to one of those.

I check walmart at least once a week for sil.

Manach
11-28-2007, 13:45
I got a couple bolts of $1 stuff yesterday at WM. Two different types of ripstop something or other. One is almost definitely DWR ripstop but the other I'm just not sure of. I compared it to my Therm-a-rest sil stuff sack, and there are differences to be sure, but also similarities. For instance, it's crinkly but not quite as crinkly, and it's slippery but not quite as slippery. The differences are not glaring, however, so I'm wondering if it's just low quality sil.

I certainly agree that it seems odd to find $1 a yard sil when it usually goes for something like $10 a yard.

Cannibal
11-28-2007, 13:49
I got a couple bolts of $1 stuff yesterday at WM. Two different types of ripstop something or other. One is almost definitely DWR ripstop but the other I'm just not sure of. I compared it to my Therm-a-rest sil stuff sack, and there are differences to be sure, but also similarities. For instance, it's crinkly but not quite as crinkly, and it's slippery but not quite as slippery. The differences are not glaring, however, so I'm wondering if it's just low quality sil.

Wonder if it's poly instead of nylon?

skar578
11-28-2007, 13:58
silpoly? darn, i would love some

eflat7
11-29-2007, 00:06
silpoly? darn, i would love some

Too late.. sorry. I am using it to test my new sewing machine out. I am heading over to wally world tomorrow to check for anything good. If I see anymore I will get it and we can work something out. No promises but I'll try :)

Manach
11-29-2007, 05:43
Never heard of silpoly. A Google search for "silicone impregnated polyester" turned up Spinn-Tex, I know it's nothing like that.

eflat7
11-29-2007, 09:00
Never heard of silpoly. A Google search for "silicone impregnated polyester" turned up Spinn-Tex, I know it's nothing like that.

I think its just coated taffeta. I wished it was sealed poly.

skar578
11-29-2007, 09:44
well, spintex is sil polyeser, isint it?

headchange4u
11-29-2007, 10:36
I know OWF and maybe Quest Outfitters carry green sil. It may be a brighter green than you are looking for, but it's still green.

eflat7
11-29-2007, 12:53
I honestly dont know.

Exploriment
11-29-2007, 12:54
I found some brown Sil-Nylonish material at a WalMart up here in Ontario. Bought a yard for a dollar. Took it home, put a big wad of TP in the middle, bundled it up into a bag, and dunked it in a tub of water for about 15 seconds. Pulled it out, and.....TP was soaked through.

Just because it looks like Sil-NYlon, doesn't mean it is.

kohburn
11-29-2007, 13:02
I found some brown Sil-Nylonish material at a WalMart up here in Ontario. Bought a yard for a dollar. Took it home, put a big wad of TP in the middle, bundled it up into a bag, and dunked it in a tub of water for about 15 seconds. Pulled it out, and.....TP was soaked through.

Just because it looks like Sil-NYlon, doesn't mean it is.

interesting method... usually people cinch it like a bucket and fill with water to see if it drips.