PDA

View Full Version : Quick fabric question! fast answe appreciated!

Aleks
11-05-2010, 04:50
Hi guys!
I´m going to the fabric shop in about 2h so a quick answer is appreciated!
The store has no labeling of the fabrics due to the fact that they gross buy from old closed down fabric shops.

Downproof fabric, or calendered, is as i understand it, identified by it´s shinyness..but my questions are

1) is it shiny on BOTH sides, or just one?

2) i scored some ripstop yesterday that is "shiny" on one side and on the other, its like the fabric has been "melted" sort of....you can see the ripstop structure, but not nearly as good as on the other side...it seems to be more or less waterproof and quite heavy (100gr/sq m) though...still usable?

3) Any other quickchecks i should know about?

Dblcorona
11-05-2010, 05:36
Generally calendered is done on one side. So you should have a shiny side and a dull side. It's done with hot rollers, so that sounds like what you got.

Ramblinrev
11-05-2010, 06:03
Hi guys!
..it seems to be more or less waterproof and quite heavy (100gr/sq m) though...still usable?

Still usable for what? How much of a gram weenie are you?

Aleks
11-05-2010, 06:36
A down quilt...but my main issue was the non breathability

Oh-No
11-05-2010, 06:56
A down quilt...but my main issue was the non breathability

Unless you're going to use your quilt as an underquilt, that heavy fabric will reduce your loft compared to using a lighter fabric.

Aleks
11-05-2010, 07:00
I'll be using it as an uq..but it seemed quite bulky..i'm actually on my way there now so we'll see if i can find amything else