PDA

View Full Version : how to carry the CCF pads

Ewker
11-16-2006, 09:36
Do you use them as a foundation in a frameless pack or carry them on the outside. I have seen them at the store and they look like they would be very bulky to carry.

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 09:59
I've done both. If I'm carrying a full-length 1/2" pad, I roll it up inside and put my stuff in the middle....rarely carry that, though. And you're right - it's pretty bulky.

If I'm carrying a 1/4" sit pad or torso pad, I fold it and strap it to the outside of my pack. Fits nicely and more readily accessible during breaks.

CCF pads often take up less space if you fold them instead of roll them.

headchange4u
11-16-2006, 10:07
I carry my pad tied to my pack vertically. The pads are very bulky no matter where you have them.

Thanks for the tip on folding the pads instaed of rollong them, JJ.

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 10:16
NP. I've heard of some folks folding their pads at home and letting them sit with heavy books on top. It puts a crease in the pad so it'll always fold to the right size for their packs. I don't need that for my 1/4" pad so I've never tried it.

Certain
11-16-2006, 10:50
I roll my HUGE blue wally-world pad and tie it to the back of my pack (at the bottom) w/some OR gear straps. I also roll my alcohol fuel bottle and windscreen inside it as well. As long as you cinch down the straps tightly, nothing will fall out, and the pad is so wide, it would take a bit before anything could work its way completely out of it.

Coffee
11-16-2006, 11:31
Jeff, does that work? I tried that with a weight on my 1/4 ccp from walmart. It was the cheaper non-egg foam one. It did not hold the crease. I though about scoring it, but I was afriad it would rip all the way. I thought about cutting it then sewing it somehow, but I am looking for better ways.

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 11:32
Dunno how well it works - just heard of other folks doing it. My CCF pad doesn't need it.

SuperTroll
11-16-2006, 12:30
Try using the figure eight pad joiner that thermarest makes...or perhaps just make a pad sleeve that has TWO full length pockets...then cut the pad lengthwise and use the joiner or the pad sleeve to put it back together...

neo
11-16-2006, 12:34
Do you use them as a foundation in a frameless pack or carry them on the outside. I have seen them at the store and they look like they would be very bulky to carry.

i roll mine then stick it in my frame less ruck
then let it uo roll,i insert everything in the center of
the pad in my ruck:cool: neo

jlb2012
11-16-2006, 12:35
wrt what I do - I use the pad(s) as a taco shell holding my gear in the Gearskin - tends to make a wide pack but it works for me - I'll carry two full length pads this way if the temps indicate a need.

wrt folding a CCF pad - easiest thing that I can think of is to cut the pad and then make a duct tape hinge all along the cut

Disposable
11-16-2006, 12:39
It works to crease the pad. After you get up in the morning the creases will have disappeared, and you'll think what a waste of time it was to leave the pad folded up in the middle of the living room floor for two weeks, but then the pad will fold easily back to where the creases were. It'll still take up half the pack, tho.

Seeker
11-16-2006, 13:38
...easiest thing that I can think of is to cut the pad and then make a duct tape hinge all along the cut...

yeah, this works... before i got an underquilt, i used duct tape to hold the wings on my ccf pad. tape across one side of the joint, flip it over, close the hinge, and tape it again from that side.

when i used that pad, i just rolled it up inside my Gust and put everything else in the middle. it was a bit odd looking at the bottom, where the shoulder straps are sewn in, but worked fine.

i run my sit pad (9 x 18) across the top of the pack and hold it down with the tie-down strap that's supposed to keep the top from unrolling. makes it readily accessible when i stop for a snack or drink, and provides some rain protection (i don't use a pack cover, just a liner).

SGT Rock
11-16-2006, 14:49
Ditto to what HOI said.

Coffee
11-16-2006, 14:56
Does the duck tape hold on the ccp?

millergear
11-16-2006, 15:39
I've successfully folded both the Wally World 1/2" pad and the Target blue pad. Used a LOT of weight and let it sit overnight.

Steve

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 17:14
wrt what I do - I use the pad(s) as a taco shell holding my gear in the Gearskin - tends to make a wide pack but it works for me - I'll carry two full length pads this way if the temps indicate a need.

That's one of the biggest benefits to a Gearskin - incredible range of packing size. The ones I've sewn for use work great for big, bulky loads (as a portage pack for paddling trips) or for daytrips. Moonbow gear has a winner with that pack design.

FanaticFringer
11-16-2006, 17:46
I roll my 3/8 wally world pad and put it in my 10.5 oz. Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak Pack as the frame. Light as a down feather (almost).

headchange4u
11-16-2006, 18:27
I'd like to make my own Gearskin. Is there a site that has a materials list and instructions for making them?

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 18:59
Yep - I can't make up my mind if I want
1 - a gearskin
2 - a LuxuryLite-style frameless pack that uses CCF pad as the frame and arrow shafts to hook the bags onto
3 - just a small ruck like the Fanatic Fringe ones, but with a CCF pad sleeve on the outside of the pack right against my back

Either way I'll probably make my own - the kids go through 2 school packs a year so I have several straps and such to choose from.

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 19:07
We really like ours. Once you get the packing scheme worked out, everything goes together quickly. FWIW - my pack weighs 15 oz and is good to about 30-35 lbs. Wider shoulder straps rock, and I don't bother with a padded hip belt. As long as I make a wide belt with plenty of contact it doesn't seem to matter much.

It took several trips to work out the packing bugs though. I still play with it too much. I'm pretty much giving up on silnylon bags as a primary waterproofing, and will probably buy either the big Pneumo bag from pacific outdoor equipment or a couple more 15 liter bags. Bomber, and I have total confidence to just throw stuff in them and not double bag anything.

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2006/index.cfm?action=product&productID=30&groupID=10&familyID=2

Peter_pan
11-16-2006, 19:49
Now for the easy answer...get rid of the pads...or at least any thing bigger than an 11x20 butt pad that serves as pack back...then start planning to hike in day pack sized packs...just another option.

Pan

headchange4u
11-16-2006, 19:49
There are pics of a homemade gearskin on WB and they look like a pretty easy project. Where can you buy shoulder straps? I hope I can find a tutorial on making one.

I bought a Gregory Runout (http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-008243) pack for $20 because I needed a daypack and it was a sweet deal. It has a compression flap in the front that acts like a Gearskin as well as the traditional top loading section with side access zipper. I have found that if the compression section is utilized properly you can store much more gear than its advertised 2200 cu in capacity. I have found that I can store my hammock, tarp, BA pad, and cookware in the compression section and I still have the entire body left to fill. It's turned out to be a real gem of a find and could easliy be used for a 2-3 day trip if packed right. I have had about 25 lbs in it and it was very comfortable and carried the weight well. If it had a hydration bladder pocket it would be perfect.

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 19:52
I made our shoulder straps and hipbelts. That that hard, but you could probably just order some replacement pads from Campmor or somewhere and call it a day.

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 19:55
Peter Pan,

How much weight do you save by going to an underquilt instead of a 1/4" pad? I think even with a full lenght 1/4" pad and a half lenght 1/4" pad to augment for the shoulder seasons you're still looking at about 16 oz. Below 35 degrees I want the kitchen sink, but for late spring-early fall I want the lightest thing I can get for the comfort.

Coffee
11-16-2006, 19:57
Now for the easy answer...get rid of the pads...or at least any thing bigger than an 11x20 butt pad that serves as pack back...then start planning to hike in day pack sized packs...just another option.

Pan

You got to love the easy answers. I keep wanting to get a smaller pack. But for some reason even without the pad I have a lot of bulk. Plus if I carry a 4000ci pack, but only fill 3000+ ci of it, I feel like somehow I won.:D

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 20:08
Bulk schmulk. I like feeling like I'm carrying a big pillow!

Ewker
11-16-2006, 20:18

Pan

would we expect you to say anything different :p

blackbishop351
11-16-2006, 20:33
I'd like to make my own Gearskin. Is there a site that has a materials list and instructions for making them?

I have my own gearskin knockoff somewhere around the midpoint of completion. It's not as true of a replica as my Black Cat tarp is - I'm using the suspension and backpanel from a Gregory Z-Pack 'cause I like them - but it'll be pretty close. Hopefully I'll have it trail-ready by Christmas or thereabouts.

And no, I've never seen any instructions on making your own. People can be a little closed-mouthed when cottage industries are involved. Seems like things are fine when the manufacturer posts DIY instructions themselves, but otherwise, people seem nervous about taking away revenues...

Arkwater
11-16-2006, 20:51
You could sew a couple shoulder straps to the bottom fo your hammock. Put everything in the hammock, use the suspension lines to lash it into a pack shape. A dual purpose gearskin!! Use Jeff's pack cover/gear hammock to cover it!

Something I've been tossing around in my head......

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 20:54
You don't cut weight by going to an underquilt, but you definitely cut bulk. I like smaller packs even if I add a few ounces...as long as those ounces equal for comfort at camp. I'm with Pan on the compressible insulation over pads.

Just Jeff
11-16-2006, 20:56
Blackbishop and jimtanker actually did something similar, Arkwater. I'd be worried about snagging it on something, though - snagging a pack isn't a big deal, but when you're hanging in it at night...to me, that's not worth the pound saved over a light pack. Though the pack cover would protect it somewhat.

Still a worthy project - solve that problem and I'd be willing to give it a shot. I had considered something like a baby sling type thing...wrap it around me and put the gear where you'd put the baby. Convenient access to gear, but probably hot in summer.

Arkwater
11-16-2006, 21:00
Blackbishop and jimtanker actually did something similar, Arkwater. I'd be worried about snagging it on something, though - snagging a pack isn't a big deal, but when you're hanging in it at night...to me, that's not worth the pound saved over a light pack. Though the pack cover would protect it somewhat.

Still a worthy project - solve that problem and I'd be willing to give it a shot. I had considered something like a baby sling type thing...wrap it around me and put the gear where you'd put the baby. Convenient access to gear, but probably hot in summer.

I had thought about using spectra gridstop for duability, but that stuff is kinda pricey! Maybe make the gear hammock out of something heavier than sil?

Johnny Swank
11-16-2006, 21:05
The bulk was the one of the main reasons I made the underquilt in the first place (aside from lucking into some $1.yd 1.1 oz nylon and already having the down). Packing that sea kayak for a week took up every cubic inch of space.

Backpacking - meh. A tiny pack is fine and all, but I'm ambivalent about it to be honest. My pack with pads and such is still smaller than most out on the AT.

Peter_pan
11-17-2006, 09:00
Peter Pan,

How much weight do you save by going to an underquilt instead of a 1/4" pad? I think even with a full lenght 1/4" pad and a half lenght 1/4" pad to augment for the shoulder seasons you're still looking at about 16 oz. Below 35 degrees I want the kitchen sink, but for late spring-early fall I want the lightest thing I can get for the comfort.

Johnny,

Glad that your river trip went well.

Late Spring - early Fall, 40+, sew thru quilts with 800+ down should be well under 16 oz and pack to the approximate size of a nalgene bottle...

Kitchen sinks are interesting...I like warmth too...And while the pad is a low cost way to add warmth it is costly in bulk, fit issue and for some, the sweat issues.....

Alternatively, simply doubling up summer quilts will accomplish the same thing for less bulk and better comfort... Last weekend we were out between Jennings Creek and Daleville on the AT ... Forcast was for Rain and temp drops to 35 Saturday... We knew 20s were a real possibility, so we prepared for 10s.... The temp did drop to low 30s, we were in a hollow by Curry Creek, 1-2 inches of rain fell... I was in a JRB Four Season Set, Nest and NS on the bottom... Smee was in Nest with Weather Shield on the bottom and Old Rag Mtn Top quilt... a third hiking partner ( first time hammocker) was in two year old Four Season Set... We were all warm and toasty....Smee was in BVDs only, I wore BVD and a light fleece top only, and the new guy had silk weight patagonias and a skull cap on... note, no socks and jacket pillows served as head cover also....Smee's back up Stealth quilt went unused, as did all of our butt pads, as did all of camp insulated clothing, as did our rain gear...Full out, all three packs ran between 19-23 pounds each at the start for three days and all were in the 2200 cu in range.... Just another alternative.

Pan