PDA

View Full Version : No TQ for a weekend trip...Will I survive...

pig.slayer
11-10-2010, 01:28
Righto I would really like to go for a quick overnight run this weekend. (remember I'm in Australia and we are leading into summer here)

Problem is I have no top quilt other than an old heavy synthetic bag that probably weigh's 12 kg's and roll's up to about the size of a small cow.......:scared:

My proper TQ's are in transit from the US and may or may not arrive in time for the weekend, I'm really hoping they will. (Hammock gear 3 S Crowsnest and Burrow :boggle:)

The only designated hammock insulation I have at hand now is a summer 3/4 TeWa UQ which I know works well down to about 8 C for me. (with a proper TeWa summer TQ though, which I have sent back to the US for some more down in it:()

The temps for the weekend are for quite warm weather and lows of around 18 C

Question is how do you think I would go If I put on my thermal long johns and merino L/S top and just used a silk bag liner.

I could also take a small 3/4 length fleece throw which wouldn't take up much room. ??

I will also have a mont-bell short sleeve jacket, wind pants and a paclite goretex jacket to put on if required and a spare pair of socks.

Do you think it's do-able or should I just lug the big sleeping bag.....
(I'm normally a hot sleeper)

Any comments or experience appreciated.

You have to understand my wife, god bless her sole has issued me with a very very rare leave pass for the weekend.
You have no idea of the effort required to squeeze this out of her but I have it (not in writting yet though :scared:)

I'd really like to get a little walk (30km's) / camp in while I have the chance.

I'm not out to push myself to the temp limits etc, Just wanna be comfortable.

fred1diver
11-10-2010, 01:36
Enjoy the pass, make sure to get it in writing!
I think you should be fine! If your a warm sleeper like you said, you'll be fine
Might not be as comfortable as a tq but definitely lighter!!!
Have fun

JohnSawyer
11-10-2010, 01:47
I've used a fleece blanket down to about 18 degrees.. used a couple of safety pins to make a footbox, wore my warm socks and sweatshirt.

The trick was I had LOTS of warmth from my UQ. Just to be safe, I used a ripstop overcover to keep any breezes off me. Slept fine.

To me, keeping warm in reasonable temps is all about keeping my feet and arms warm.

Lepmeister
11-10-2010, 04:55
Should be fine, this weekend is forecasted as a hot one. Are you in hiking in the newcastle area or making a break for somewhere else?

wisenber
11-10-2010, 09:13
A fleece throw under you should handle 18°C. If it gets much cooler, you'll want something to keep the wind off from underneath.

pig.slayer
11-10-2010, 15:13
Should be fine, this weekend is forecasted as a hot one. Are you in hiking in the newcastle area or making a break for somewhere else?

Yeh it's meant to be warm. Not too keen on hot weather, especially the predicted hi humidity.....

I'm just doing a local section of the great north walk through the Watagan NP. It's a good spot for day and one night walks for me because I always finish the walk at Heaton Gap. As Heaton lookout is about an hours walk from the actual Gap and car park which it's great for me, let's me call my wife and tell her to meet me there, Easy for us because it's only about 1/2 hour from home.

Just to clear things up,,,,

The Tewa summer UQ I will be taking along so I'll have good bottom insulation. It's only my top side and legs that I thought might get cold ??

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll run with a silk bag liner and small fleece blanket.