PDA

View Full Version : Ticket To The Moon Hammocks (Double Hammock)

headchange4u
11-30-2007, 20:14
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock029logo.jpg

Ticket To The Moon Hammocks (http://www.ticketothemoon.com/)

I had contacted Ticket To The Moon Hammocks (TTTM) to find out more information about their products. While conversing with Charly, owner and founder of TTTM, he offered to send me a hammock to review. Of course I accepted because God knows I need another hammock.

Right from the start Charly and the crew at TTTM were incredibly friendly and helpful, answering all my questions. According to Charly TTTM is the original manufacturer of the “hook and attached bag” style hammock and the company is based out of Bali, Indonesia. I would venture a guess and say that if your hammock very closely resembles a TTTM hammock and it was manufactured in Indonesia, it was probably made at the TTTM factory.

Now pay attention here and take notes because this will be on the test:) I am getting ready to coin a new phrase: HAAB (Hook and attached bag) hammock. This can be used to describe TTTM hammocks as well as the several other hammocks that look very similar such as ENO's, Trek Light, Bliss Hammocks, Travel Hammock, etc. This was my first experience with this style of hammock. I do now own a ENO DoubleNest but at the time of this review I had never used it.

Charly stated that he starting making his hammocks about 15 years ago for personal use. After a while he discovered a special parachute silk made in Indonesia and started using this material to construct his hammocks. He started to sell his hammocks at music festivals and outdoor activities to help finance his travels through Europe and Asia. Thus TTTM was born.

TTTM hammocks offers 4 different sizes: King, double, single, and baby. TTTM is the only company that I know of that offers a baby hammock. They offer a lifetime warranty for their hammocks covering material and construction. Misuse and UV damage is not covered under the warranty. One of the most interesting tidbits of info that Charly told me was:

As a manufacturer we can produce any special size request and more than 1600 combinations ,using our 40 basic colors .

Hammock Specs:

Baby
Dimensions (in ft.) 5 x 2.5
Weight (in lbs.) .5

Single
Dimensions (in ft.) 10.5 x 5
Weight (in lbs.) 1.1

*Double
Dimensions (in ft.) 10.5 x 6.5
Weight (in lbs.) 1.3

King
Dimensions (in ft.) 10.5 x 7.2
Weight (in lbs.) 1.5

* review hammock. Actual measured weight is 1lb 3oz. Weight is hammock, 101" Spectra ridge line and BB sack. Does not include suspension system and stock metal hooks were removed. Stock suspension system was modified for this review. Click here to see manufacterers stock suspension and hanging technique (http://www.ticketothemoon.com/faq.asp)

TTTM hammocks have a maximum weight of 160 kgs (~360 lbs).

Test Criteria:
Hammock was tested at a 3 day, 2 night outing at the Red River Gorge. Temps on the first night were about 28-30*F and temps the second night about 35*F. Nights were clear with only a light wind.

My Setup:
TTTM Double Hammock
Speer SnugFit Underquilt
Speer Winter Tarp
Polyester Webbing Supports w/ Cinch Buckles
Western Mountaineering Apache (open up as top quilt)
Fleece Hat
Merino/Poly Thermal Top and Bottoms

Construction:

I was very happy with the quality of construction of this hammock. The body consisted of a wide panel of fabric in the middle with 2 narrower pieces sewn onto each side. The side panels were tripled stitched with “Hi Grade X3 Nylon Stitching” for strength. There is also stuff sack sewn onto the edge of the hammock for storage. The parachute nylon is also mold and mildew resistant. Upon examining the hammock I saw no frays or defects attributed the the construction and all the stitching and hems were straight as an arrow. I really like the fabric that this hammock is constructed from; very soft and comfy.

As with most HAAB style hammocks, TTTM hammocks has a channel on each end of the hammock. There is a short piece of rope that runs through the channel, is knotted, and a metal hook is attached for use in hanging. Also included with the hammock is a pair of knotted ropes meant to to be used when hanging the hammock. For this review I removed the metal hooks and ditched the rope that came with the hammock and switched to my standard polyester webbing/cinch buckle suspension system. I also added a ridge line to the hammock.

Comfort:

I have to say that this is a VERY comfortable hammock. One of the most comfortable hammocks that I have tried. The double hammock that I received was large and had ample room to stretch out. One thing that I found out is that to maximize comfort in this hammock one needs to make sure that they are lying centered in the hammock. The first night that I slept in it I was laying off to one side, leaving a large area of extra fabric one one side and a much smaller area on the other side. I still slept very well, but on the second night I took the time to make sure that I was in the middle of the hammock. This resulted in me being able to lie flatter on the second night than I did on the first night, increasing my comfort level even more. You can see in the picture below I lay flat as a board:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock038.jpg

Being centered in the hammock also reveled a very interesting property of this hammock. When centered in the hammock I pretty much had equal amounts of extra fabric on each side of me. I found that I could wrap the extra fabric around my top quilt adding warmth. It would also be possible to use the extra fabric to create a sort of “tent” around my head, face and upper body, helping to retain heat much like a travel pod or hammock sock, and going a long way to help to stay warm without added weight. This is a very interesting idea and you can read more in the Using The Extra Material in a HAAB Double Hammock thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=38531#post38531).

This roomy hammock also sleeping very well when lying in the fetal position and on my side, which is the way I sleep most of the night.

My wife and I also got to try out the hammock with both of us in it. The hammock had more than enough room to hold us both, but it was more comfortable to lay in opposite directions as opposed to lying the same way. The hammock showed no signs of strain or damage from holding 2 people.

Overall Impressions:

I am very happy with my TTTM hammock. It's an extremely comfortable, well made piece of gear and the people at TTTM were a pleasure to deal with. I am anxious to experiment with the hammock some more, especially with using the extra fabric for added warmth. One feature that really nice is having a hammock big enough to hold me and my wife.

There is a lot of competition in HAAB style hammocks. TTTM hammocks have an advantage on available sizes and color options not offered by other companies as well as the possibility of ordering a hammock that is custom made to your specs. The biggest disadvantage that TTTM has is shipping times because they are based out of Bali instead of the US. When they shipped my hammock they told me it would take about 10 days. The actual transit time to me was 5 days but I could see that someone located on the west coast would probably take the full ten days to receive their hammock.

Enjoy the eye candy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock024.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock035.jpg
Due to a camera malfunction the photos taken at the Red River Gorge were lost. These pictures were taken at The Pinnacles in Berea, Ky.

BillyBob58
11-30-2007, 21:00
Do you think a PeaPod would fit this hammock?

FanaticFringer
12-01-2007, 00:30
I have a similar Treklight double. I'm curious how the king size model would feel.

angrysparrow
12-01-2007, 01:11

I think it would fit just fine. I use a SnugFit (similar length) with my ENO and it fits perfectly.

headchange4u
12-01-2007, 03:00

Yep. A peapod would work fine on one. I have also been wondering about the King Size.

headchange4u
12-01-2007, 14:30
Did anybody notice those ugly yellow Harbor Freight webbing straps I have been using for a long time are gone and replaced with some beautiful, new OWF camo polyester webbing? Yay!

FanaticFringer
12-01-2007, 17:51
Did anybody notice those ugly yellow Harbor Freight webbing straps I have been using for a long time are gone and replaced with some beautiful, new OWF camo polyester webbing? Yay!

Good move. Got some myself.:cool:

3DfourMe
06-22-2008, 11:09
Are these hammocks actually designed for two people?

FanaticFringer
06-22-2008, 11:17
Are these hammocks actually designed for two people?

Yes but comfy for 1 person only IMO. Speaking of TTTM.......I was recently asked to "test"
a TTTM king size hammock and give a report on it here. Looking forward to it.:cool:

headchange4u
06-22-2008, 12:05
Yes but comfy for 1 person only IMO. Speaking of TTTM.......I was recently asked to "test"
a TTTM king size hammock and give a report on it here. Looking forward to it.:cool:

Awesome. I had been thinking about getting one to try out. I can't wait to see what you think about it. Remember, lots of pictures!

ErnestB
04-26-2013, 12:05
I note this thread is quite old but in hope someone else is researching this brand, I have the following experience. I placed my order last week. Today I received an email that they did not have the tarp I ordered in stock. TTTM advertises that they are the manufacturer of these products and my order was from their web page. If anyone can recommend an alternative brand or product, I would appreciate a post or message

ticketothemoon
04-29-2013, 02:29
I note this thread is quite old but in hope someone else is researching this brand, I have the following experience. I placed my order last week. Today I received an email that they did not have the tarp I ordered in stock. TTTM advertises that they are the manufacturer of these products and my order was from their web page. If anyone can recommend an alternative brand or product, I would appreciate a post or message

Dear Ernest

Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience.
Indeed we had issue to supply our PU coated waterproof fabric, however the Tarp will be available from next week.

I will be glad to send you one of them at that time.

Keep me posted and keep on hammocking!

BackPackHiker
04-29-2013, 09:03

This is the first negative feedback I have heard from TTTM, I love their products and have always had quick shipping. Keep up the good work TTTM.

Like with every company, some times they receive higher than anticipated orders and purchased deliveries may in turn be delayed. I would give them a second chance before abandoning all hope.

Banorwood
04-29-2013, 23:48
I'm ordering my first hammock from them along with the bug net (and one of their neat backpacks). I placed my order, had a problem with Paypal, contacted TTTM to cancel so I could re-place my order, received a response, and reordered within 12 hours! Great company to work with!

He also told me the tarp would be shipping early May.

My only question is, how fast is their delivery? I'm leaving for camping Friday which only leaves 4 full days... Doubt they're that quick. Might be in a tent again... :(

BackPackHiker
04-30-2013, 10:51
I'm ordering my first hammock from them along with the bug net (and one of their neat backpacks). I placed my order, had a problem with Paypal, contacted TTTM to cancel so I could re-place my order, received a response, and reordered within 12 hours! Great company to work with!

My only question is, how fast is their delivery? I'm leaving for camping Friday which only leaves 4 full days... Doubt they're that quick. Might be in a tent again... :(

I think it took 4-5 days to get to me, I live in Canada. They also make an awesome pocket frizz-bee

FBG
04-30-2013, 11:23
Enjoy the eye candy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/TTTM/TTMHammock018.jpg

Hey, that's my Bid Ol' No Name hammock! Same color no less. I ordered it from Overstock and figured it would have an identifier on the tag when I got it, but no luck. Now I know!

I luvs muh hammock.

Maffers021
04-30-2013, 15:24
Love my Double TTTM hammock, use'em everywhere, I even developed my own system using DIY suspension,DIY Tarp and ridgeline(thanks to this forum:D)
Met Charly in a outdoor expo in Jakarta and talk a lot about hammocking, in the end he gave me a single TTTM, pair'of biners and one of them backpacks :shades: ....

Successfully poison everyone in a local indonesian forum about hammocking as a solution and the new way of outdoor life...:laugh:

Banorwood
05-01-2013, 03:44
I ordered a JRB all-in-one whoopie suspension system that's currently on sale to go with my new TTTM. It should be here Thurs. Just got a notification that my TTTM has been shipped; crossing my fingers I get it in 4 days also!

ace8077
01-30-2014, 14:16

So, who do you like your TTTM Hammock up to this day? I'm looking to order one here soon and would love your review of yours.

Pixabilly
03-01-2014, 09:20
What do you think about stock suspension system? I change the s-hooks to carabiners. I noticed that ropes left some marks to the trees, so is there some other systems you recommend?

I am a heavy guy, 120kg (265lbs?) so need strong ones.

Robb871
03-05-2014, 10:52
Glad I found this thread. I hadn't heard of this brand until I was searching craigslist for used camping gear the other day. These are always advertised on craigslist...in may area anyway.

CoreyR
04-03-2014, 08:28
Glad I found this thread. I hadn't heard of this brand until I was searching craigslist for used camping gear the other day. These are always advertised on craigslist...in may area anyway.

I found them advertised on CL also. I ordered a custom color combination on their website. Got a matching day pack with it. I have only used it for day trips and loafing so far but I like what I have seen.
I just Permetherin (SP?) treated my TTTM and its bugnet and shall be headed to the Merchants Millpond hang next weekend with it. I shall see how it does there. I also got the TTTM "Pre-tied ropes" to hang it with. I was a bit apprehensive about using rope but they are doubled up and seemed wide enough. I am a pretty big guy myself, 270 pounds, and so far I have not seen any evidence of the ropes doing any damage to trees. I will be keeping an eye out though.

Robb871
05-20-2014, 20:21
CoreyR how is the TTTM treating you?

CoreyR
05-20-2014, 21:09
Great!, In fact, I went back and ordered a TTTM Double. I did replace the TTTM fly with a Hennessy Hex though. I really think the TTTM one is more of a "sunshade" than a serious rainfly and it provides NO privacy at all. It is just a notional thingy, sort of up there above the hammock to screen the sun.

The bug net seems good BUT I have yet to actually use it in the field, only in the backyard practicing. I do not care for the fact that I must string what amounts to a second ridgeline just for the bugnet but it is a complete enclosure and it zips shut. I like that. I just never seem to need it. I permeretherine EVERYTHING!

CoreyR
05-20-2014, 21:11
I did add a ridge-line to my TTTM. It did not come with one but it helps get the sag right. I used 550 cord, Nite-Ize S-biners and a liberty mountain guyline adjuster.