PDA

View Full Version : Molly Mac Gear IX Draft Stopppers

MacEntyre
11-11-2010, 10:59
I took a 2' by 18" piece of scrap IX, and sewed pleats in it just like the Torso Heater. Then I sewed the edges together such that they make a fourth pleat. Turned it inside out and added strings to the ends, and voila! The Molly Mac Gear IX Draft Stopper.

It's 2' long, and about 2" thick. One of them weighs a half ounce. You tie them between the corners, across the ends of your IX UQ. I'm noodling about to whom I should send them for testing.

Any volunteers?

- MacEntyre

Lonely Raven
11-11-2010, 11:10
That's a pretty neat idea! I'm using some IX scrap as a pillow, but I've stuffed it behind my back or under my feet to fight off a cold spot at night. So I see how your stoppers would help.

dejoha
11-11-2010, 11:41
I'm game. I just got home and was about to sew in some channels on the end, but I'll test these if you're looking for volunteers. It's cold here, though. Dipping in the teens now.

MacEntyre
11-11-2010, 11:48
PM sent to Dejoha!

Other volunteers?

JohnSawyer
11-11-2010, 12:02
Interesting concept, I can see where this could help simplify adjustment of my KAQ Lost river UQ, or even with my kid's Poncho-liner UQ.

I have some IX from a years-ago buy, and was planning on making a 3-layer UQ for my daughter based on Sclittlefield's design. If I added additional pleats to the end, I could see where this could eliminate the need for a draw-cord adjustment...

What is the plan for attachment to the UQ?

Kokak
11-11-2010, 12:40
I would be more than willing to try these out for you. It would either be this or sewing some end channels to my IX UQ (and I can't seem to get my wife to sit down behind the sewing machine these days).

I'll be able test them as soon as I get them, in my backyard... :D

Bomber
11-11-2010, 12:59
Sign me up.... Loves to experiment with gear

/Bomber

Bat
11-11-2010, 13:17
I'm up for being a guinea pig. Might want to take them out on the trail in the spring for a long test run.

Bat

Rat
11-11-2010, 13:52
Nice! How wide and how long are the pleats. I need to sew some up tonight to use with the non-modified IX Universal I have this weekend at the Texas Hang.

MacEntyre
11-11-2010, 14:25
What is the plan for attachment to the UQ?
Use the strings to tie them to the corners.

I'll be able test them as soon as I get them, in my backyard... :D
PM me with your mailing address.

Sign me up.... Loves to experiment with gear
Done!

Might want to take them out on the trail in the spring for a long test run.
We'll be done testing before Thanksgiving.

Anyway, I'm now out of prototype Draft Stoppers.

Nice! How wide and how long are the pleats. I need to sew some up tonight ...
2'x18" piece of IX...
Three pleats each two feet long, consuming two inches of width each...
Sew the 2' edges together with stitches 1" from edge, making 4th pleat...
Turn the whole thing inside out...
Put an 18" string on each end by making a clove hitch in the bight...
You're done!

Another way I'm making them:

Roll the 2'x18" IX up in a 2' roll about 2" in diameter, then sew the open edge to the roll.
When you tie the strings, fold the roll so the seam is inside the roll, which gives it a little more loft.

WLMiller54
11-11-2010, 14:50
I would love to try this out! Still working to tweak my IX UC!

Thanks

MacEntyre
11-11-2010, 15:02
Ok, with Bat and WLMiller, I think we've got enough test draft stoppers out there now.

WLMiller54
11-17-2010, 08:59
Draft Stopper - Partial Report

I received the draft stoppers from Mac last night, and did some (very) light testing.

First Impressions
I like this concept, but they do compress easily, not as I expected. I wonder how these will help seal better then a simple channel and shock cord, but plan to give them a go later this week.

Mac, do you envision these on the inside of the UQ or free floating on the outside of the UQ?

Thank you

MacEntyre
11-17-2010, 14:24
...inside of the UQ or free floating on the outside of the UQ?
Inside... betwixt UQ and hammock.

WLMiller54
11-19-2010, 21:43
Did some outside \ Inside testing today.

The added the Draft Stopper (DS) to the UQ, but it didn't help with the seal. If I create a seal with my shoulders it compresses the DS and then leaves a gap when I move. Additionally it was difficult to get the DS to stay in one place. So, I did not have luck with the DS.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_b272c2sa9io/TOcYbuTRC8I/AAAAAAAAA8E/R5BnUuPrWOk/s640/2010-11-19%2019.17.59.jpg

I also added some elastic to the edge. It does pull it closer, and prevents the wind from blowing in, but it still does not create a good seal. I think that it crumples the IX a little bit and may actually prevent it from sealing

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_b272c2sa9io/TOcX1sof5sI/AAAAAAAAA7o/NC2HRSVEEjE/s640/2010-11-19%2019.24.36.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b272c2sa9io/TOcXnNdi7mI/AAAAAAAAA7g/HOv9Fiv-gy8/s640/2010-11-19%2019.30.43.jpg

Bomber
11-22-2010, 23:43
I´ve had a great success with the draftstoppers MacEntyre sent me, but not in first try. When they arrived they were pretty flat and didnt loft much as some of you described. But i made a minor mod to mine - first i cut a strip of polyester padding(the stuff thats inside a poncho liner), untied the end of the draftstopper and with a broomstick pushed the padding in and then retied it again - now it lofts nicely every time:)
I also tried to just tie the draftstoppers to the ends of my UQ without much luck, especially in the foot end it kept "falling" out no matter what i did. But after mounting it with safety pins it makes a pretty good seal.

So last night the weather services promised some low temps around freezing(32dg fahrenheit) and of course i had to test it outside:D
Well i got a little more than i wished for. 30dg , high winds and a lot of sleet!:scared: But my 2ply IX UQ kept me warm - not toasty, but sufficient to give me 7 hours sleep. Eventually i woke thinking my tarp had "fallen down" on me, it was because of all the sleet weighing it down:laugh:

So all in all i think the draft stoppers is a success if: they get some kind of filling , to make them loft and if they are mounted prober(i´m gonna stitch my on).

/Bomber