PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spending Thanksgiving in a Hammock?

Arkwater
11-17-2006, 11:16
I'm planning on spending a night or two on the Buffalo (http://www.ozarkconnections.com/buffalo.html) or the Sylamore (http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/index.html).
Looks like the weather will be perfect, highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s.

jlb2012
11-17-2006, 11:34
I plan on hanging up near Mt. Rogers over Tgiving - looking like highs 45 lows 30 or so

headchange4u
11-17-2006, 12:42
I'm going to try and go with a few friends to Pine Mountain in Elkhorn City, Ky for a 2-3 day romp. I will be the only hanger in the group. It's kinda sketchy if I am going to get to go right now, but I have my fingers crossed.

Ewker
11-17-2006, 13:10
I plan on hanging up near Mt. Rogers over Tgiving - looking like highs 45 lows 30 or so

I will see you there. Are you coming in Thurs or Friday? Woodzie and I will be there Thursday.

No I won't be in a hammock :p

Certain
11-17-2006, 13:17
YUP! Just got the go ahead from the homefront to spend 2 nights out there! Can't wait!

FanaticFringer
11-17-2006, 15:49
I'm thinking of spending a night on Stone Mountain Georgia. Yes, On the actual mountain. I know there are some decent sized trees on it. I'll have to stealth and use my small light as I'm sure the park rangers would give me hell.:D
Would have some killer views.

jlb2012
11-17-2006, 16:21
I will see you there. Are you coming in Thurs or Friday? Woodzie and I will be there Thursday.

No I won't be in a hammock :p

Thurs. for sure, possibly Wed. PM

Coffee
11-17-2006, 17:32
I am not going to be out over Turkey day but some other day next week I am either doing an overnight or a canoe overnight. My dad can do the canoe trip, but not the hiking so that is the deciding factor right now.

saimyoji
11-17-2006, 23:23
Yeah, I'll be trying out my ever changing set-up. Working on an underquilt this weekend.

Just Jeff
11-18-2006, 10:18
Since we're in the military and moving all over the place, we've decided to make a new tradition of traveling over Thanksgiving weekend. Last year we went to San Diego and did the zoo and all that. The best part is that there aren't any crowds...and since we have dinner in a restaurant there aren't any dishes. Of course, there aren't a week's worth of leftovers, either...there are trade-offs.

This year, we're thinking about Yosemite/Tahoe/San Francisco. If that happens, there's a good chance I'll be in my hammock on Thanksgiving!

slowhike
11-18-2006, 10:40
i`m planning to go out for an overnighter (sat) & mabey fri night too if i go some where pretty close. haven`t decided where yet. ...tim

slowhike
11-21-2006, 17:30

HOI, & Ewker... do you mind if i look for you sat afternoon? ...tim

Aramis
11-21-2006, 18:03
Looks like the weather will be perfect, highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s.

Perfect? Do you consider the temperature of your bath to be 'perfect' when you can break the layer of ice on it without using an axe?

Imo 'perfect' is 25 degrees Celsius.

Ewker
11-21-2006, 18:54
HOI, & Ewker... do you mind if i look for you sat afternoon? ...tim

sure no problem. I think we will be at Rhodo Gap Sat night

HOI will have his hammock and I will be in a tarptent. Yeah, yeah I know a tent. But when you don't have gear for a hammock you use what you have.

slowhike
11-21-2006, 20:57
sure no problem. I think we will be at Rhodo Gap Sat night

HOI will have his hammock and I will be in a tarptent. Yeah, yeah I know a tent. But when you don't have gear for a hammock you use what you have.

yep... if it gets like it did one october, i may wish i was in a tent...naaah<g>.
it got down to 14f by morn, with a howing wind. one guy that was w/ us swears that the wind actualy got up under his one man tent & picked him (at least partialy) up off the ground.

do you have an idea were you may try to find shelter in rodo gap? i`m familiar w/ how the AT parallels the va. highlands horse trail from the water hole at rodo gap over past mt rogers. seems like that`s one wind swept hillside... even in the evergreens.
just to put a thought in your head in case you have trouble finding a place out of the wind.... i reppeled off the cliff near the big trail junction once, & it seems like there was a fairly open wooded area near the bottom of the cliff.
of course then you`d have to worry about some yeng yang throughing ropcks off the cliff<G>. ...tim

Ewker
11-21-2006, 22:32
yep... if it gets like it did one october, i may wish i was in a tent...naaah<g>.
it got down to 14f by morn, with a howing wind. one guy that was w/ us swears that the wind actualy got up under his one man tent & picked him (at least partialy) up off the ground.

do you have an idea were you may try to find shelter in rodo gap? i`m familiar w/ how the AT parallels the va. highlands horse trail from the water hole at rodo gap over past mt rogers. seems like that`s one wind swept hillside... even in the evergreens.
just to put a thought in your head in case you have trouble finding a place out of the wind.... i reppeled off the cliff near the big trail junction once, & it seems like there was a fairly open wooded area near the bottom of the cliff.
of course then you`d have to worry about some yeng yang throughing ropcks off the cliff<G>. ...tim

I have no idea where we will be camping. All I know is that it will be in the wooded area way before you get to Thomas Knob Shelter. I am not sure how many of us there will be...maybe 10 folks. People are coming from Tn,Va, NJ or Pa and maybe Ky for this get together

slowhike
11-22-2006, 07:10
I have no idea where we will be camping. All I know is that it will be in the wooded area way before you get to Thomas Knob Shelter. I am not sure how many of us there will be...maybe 10 folks. People are coming from Tn,Va, NJ or Pa and maybe Ky for this get together

if nothing happens to change my plans, i`ll just look for you.

jlb2012
11-22-2006, 08:46
where I'll camp Saturday mostly depends on how the wind is - if it looks like the wind will be bad I'll be down below the spring in the woods and rhodo down and to the left - otherwise (cold but relatively calm winds) I'll be in one of the campsites along the AT - possibly near the traditional Blueberry Massacree campsite - I'm fairly easy to recognize - look for the worlds largest MacCat tarp ;)

Ewker
11-22-2006, 09:07
Hey HOI, I will want to check out your setup. I have never really paid any attention to it before other than knowing it is a hammock...lol

jlb2012
11-22-2006, 11:55
no problem Ewker - Thursday night I'll be just "north" of Wise in the FS area just across the creek and up the bank and you have as good an idea as I do where we will be Friday night near Scales (have not noticed the planned campsite before but it should be easy to find - the question is whether there are any good hangs there).

Note however that I use a rather stock Hennessy with pads (CCF on top of a DAM) - no underquilts or straps other than tree huggers. The only thing that is really special is the MacCat tarp - I wanted a longer ridge line length than the MacCat Deluxe so Brian came up with the MacCat Titan for me - 160 inch ridge line.

Ewker
11-22-2006, 12:12
Woodzie and I will be hanging out at Wise Shelter. I will either look for you or you can come on down.
Yeah I have no clue about Friday. I know Woodzie and I are taking the AT around to Scales and then back up the VHHT. She hasn't been there before so I thought so might like that hike. It isn't long maybe 3-4 miles.
Sat I have to go back and meet Creek Dancer at Wise Shelter. I will take the Scales trail back to it. Didn't seem to be to far that way.

jlb2012
11-22-2006, 15:16
meeting Creek Dancer at Wise??? I thought she was coming in at Massey Gap and heading straight for Rhodo Gap either on the AT or the Rhodo Gap Tr. - it would make more sense to meet her where the VHHT meets the AT - ie at the big stile.

Ewker
11-22-2006, 15:34
we are heading back towards Scales to do the AT and then take the Pine Mountain Trail to Rhodo gap. Even Woodzie is doing that.
Basically because tehy haven't done that before. That way when we come back from Rhodo we will have almost completed a loop

blackbishop351
11-22-2006, 15:46
That's a nice loop, too. Exactly the same route I took a couple of months ago.