PDA

View Full Version : Coffee at hurricane shelter

slowhike
12-02-2007, 21:25
it was kind of a last minute thing that i was going to join ncpatrick for an overnighter, when i got an email back from Coffee (formerly known as hammock engineer).
i had hoped to hook up w/ him while he was fairly close by. so after a few last minute calls, emails & text messages, patrick & i were able to meet him at hurricane shelter in VA.
BTW... he said it was fine to go ahead & post this<g>.

it was good to see hammock... uh... i mean Coffee again, & patrick got to meet him for the 1st time.

the three of us slept in our hammocks around the shelter while two other south bound thrus used the shelter.

we also met three other SB thrus that pressed on to the next shelter.

we were asked some of the typical hammock questions about staying warm & the weight of a hammock set up.
one wanted a closer look & the grand tour. of course i was glad to oblige.

we had a low of 33&#176;f but the wind really picked up through the night, but all hammockers were warm.

i put 3 pictures in the "hangouts & camp outs" gallery....
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC020030.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC010020.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC010017.JPG

NCPatrick
12-02-2007, 21:34
Yep, it was a fun trip. Good to meet HE (I mean, Coffee) and better yet to drink coffee with Coffee (I also got some pointers on the fine art of making real coffee in the JetBoil).

It did get a bit breezy up there. Lots of fun. More pictures here (http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/MeetingCoffee).

Frolicking Dino
12-02-2007, 22:09
Thanks for letting me know where Nate is and that he is OK.

slowhike
12-02-2007, 22:23
Thanks for letting me know where Nate is and that he is OK.

yep, i believe he's doing fine, but he's not thinking he will finish by new years though.
he said he probably could but he would have to push it beyond enjoyment. i have to agree w/ that. enjoy the hike!!!

Hooch
12-03-2007, 03:21
Good to see Coffee doing so well. No sense in speeding up to make so-called time constraints and missing the point of the hike to begin with. Hike your own hike Coffee and keep it where you can still enjoy it.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 06:41
Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil? Who's who? :D

slowhike
12-03-2007, 06:44
Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil? Who's who? :D

i'm not saying:)

Just Jeff
12-03-2007, 07:07
But I will!

That's slowhike with the neo crossed-arms pose, then Coffee with the cool thru-hiker pants, and NCPatrick on the right.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 08:06
But I will!

That's slowhike with the neo crossed-arms pose, then Coffee with the cool thru-hiker pants, and NCPatrick on the right. I knew that much, but thanks. :D I was trying to figure out who's who in the classic "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" pose. I've met NCPatrick and Slowhike before. Both prety nice guys for North Carolinians.......wait.......that's me. :D

headchange4u
12-03-2007, 08:53
Those are some great pics you guys took. I'm glad you guys got to see Nate on the trail. I wish I could have been there.

peanuts
12-03-2007, 11:01
glad to know that coffee is doing well and having a good time!

Bug-Bait
12-03-2007, 12:05
Slowhike and NCPatrick...you guys rock!! I'm sure that Coffee really appreciated seeing some familiar faces.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 14:03
I wish I could have been there. I would have enjoyed going as well, and I guess we could have if someone had invited us. I won't mention any names, but their initials are Slowhike and NCPatrick. :p Seriously, I wonder if there is a way to get in touch with Coffee and hook up somewhere before the Smokies? Care to chime in on that Slowhike?

NCPatrick
12-03-2007, 14:17
I didn't even know I was going until almost 10:00pm the night before.

We had originally intended to go somewhere else (South Mountain State Park, NC) until Tim heard in a roundabout way that he was close-by. So glad it worked out to meet up with him though.

If a similar situation ever arises, hopefully we will be able to get more notice and turn out as many people as would be able to go.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 14:24
I didn't even know I was going until almost 10:00pm the night before.

If a similar situation ever arises, hopefully we will be able to get more notice and turn out as many people as would be able to go. Excuses, excuses. :eek: Actually, that would be kinda cool to find out where he is going to be and go meet him there with a good size group or something.

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 14:29
Seriously, I wonder if there is a way to get in touch with Coffee and hook up somewhere before the Smokies? Care to chime in on that Slowhike?

He is pretty good with emails; it just takes a little while. He's talking about heading north with me in March, just to see what the "northbound craziness is all about". How can you beat starting a thru with someone who JUST did it? I should be able to pick-up some great tips and tricks.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 14:35
How can you beat starting a thru with someone who JUST did it? I didn't know you were starting a thru-hike in the spring. You should probably let some folks know about that, like, oh I don't know......everyone here at HF! :D

Ewker
12-03-2007, 14:36
hammock engineer keep on hiking and enjoying your trip..no need to rush thru it

GrizzlyAdams
12-03-2007, 14:46
He is pretty good with emails; it just takes a little while. He's talking about heading north with me in March, just to see what the "northbound craziness is all about". How can you beat starting a thru with someone who JUST did it? I should be able to pick-up some great tips and tricks.

Do you have an pretty good idea of the date when you launch?

Grizz

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 14:54
Do you have an pretty good idea of the date when you launch?

Grizz

March 1 is the target date; give or take a day or three.

neo
12-03-2007, 14:55
it was kind of a last minute thing that i was going to join ncpatrick for an overnighter, when i got an email back from Coffee (formerly known as hammock engineer).
i had hoped to hook up w/ him while he was fairly close by. so after a few last minute calls, emails & text messages, patrick & i were able to meet him at hurricane shelter in VA.

it was good to see hammock... uh... i mean Coffee again, & patrick got to meet him for the 1st time.

the three of us slept in our hammocks around the shelter while two other south bound thrus used the shelter.

we were asked some of the typical hammock questions about staying warm & the weight of a hammock set up.

we had a low of 33°f but the wind really picked up through the night, but all hammockers were warm.

:D 33 degrees,that almost tropical for me lol:cool: neo

neo
12-03-2007, 14:56

we had a low of 33°f but the wind really picked up through the night, but all hammockers were warm.

did he get the trail from coffee from making coffee in his awesome jetboil:cool: neo

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 14:57
I didn't know you were starting a thru-hike in the spring. You should probably let some folks know about that, like, oh I don't know......everyone here at HF! :D

I thought I had. :p

The thru is what led me to hammocks; surfing over at WB.

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 14:59
did he get the trail from coffee from making coffee in his awesome jetboil:cool: neo

Yep! I think it's in his first 10 TJ entries somewhere. He is pretty militant about making sure he has enough coffee.

Ewker
12-03-2007, 15:01
The thru is what led me to hammocks; surfing over at WB.

you will find more info on thru-hiking on WB than here..off topic discussion here :eek:

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 15:02
you will find more info on thru-hiking on WB than here..off topic discussion here :eek:

For sure; they both have a tab reserved in my browser. The details get picked-up over there, the means to comfort get picked-up here. :D

Hooch
12-03-2007, 15:04
I thought I had. :p

The thru is what led me to hammocks; surfing over at WB. Maybe I never noticed. Sory 'bout that. Well, good luck on your thru, I'm sure you'll kick a$$ and take names. Or at least just enjoy your hike. :D

Cannibal
12-03-2007, 15:09
Or at least just enjoy your hike. :D

No doubt!

I'm really looking forward to talking with Coffee about what he learned on the Trail in relation to hammock hanging. He was my first hammock mentor, it would be nice to bring that circle to a close and hike my first week or two with him. :cool:

Maybe I can teach him how to grow a beard. :D

Shug
12-03-2007, 15:34
Hey ya'll,
Looks like a fun and blustery trip. I noticed mention of South Mnt. SP in NC. Camped there many times with my buddies in NC. Great place.
Glad you all had a good one.
Shug

NCPatrick
12-03-2007, 15:54
Maybe I can teach him how to grow a beard. :D

Slowhike also noticed the lack of a beard. Coffee said "I don't do beards".

slowhike
12-03-2007, 16:16
I would have enjoyed going as well, and I guess we could have if someone had invited us. I won't mention any names, but their initials are Slowhike and NCPatrick. :p Seriously, I wonder if there is a way to get in touch with Coffee and hook up somewhere before the Smokies? Care to chime in on that Slowhike?

yeah... communication was kinda spread out between coffee & i.
fri eve he had his sister call me on my cell phone & give me the # at the pay phone at the mount rogers nat rec area headquarters.
i called him immediately & he was standing by the phone (in the cold wind) waiting.

if i had more time i sure would have let some others know<g>.

i'll PM you Hooch w/ his contact info.

slowhike
12-03-2007, 16:20
:D 33 degrees,that almost tropical for me lol:cool: neo

yeah, but i can't get past the taste of that antifreeze you been drinkin:eek:

actualy that was a mild trip. i was toasty.

Hooch
12-03-2007, 16:23
yeah... communication was kinda spread out between coffee & i.
fri eve he had his sister call me on my cell phone & give me the # at the pay phone at the mount rogers nat rec area headquarters.
i called him immediately & he was standing by the phone (in the cold wind) waiting.

if i had more time i sure would have let some others know<g>.

i'll PM you Hooch w/ his contact info. No sweat, Slowhike, just giving you guys a hard time. I'm glad you had fun. I don't know if I'd definitely get to go meet Coffee anywhere and I'm definitely not sure I could keep up with his pace (Remember, I'm Slowerhike). But maybe I can do something for him when he's in NC like send him some maildrop trail magic.

slowhike
12-03-2007, 16:25
Hey ya'll,
Looks like a fun and blustery trip. I noticed mention of South Mnt. SP in NC. Camped there many times with my buddies in NC. Great place.
Glad you all had a good one.
Shug

yeah, nice water falls there. but you gotta beware of the raccoons at south mt state park... they're like little hoodlums there:rolleyes:

last year me & a friend came back to camp just in time to catch one dragging my backpack out from under the hammock & down toward the creek:eek:

slowhike
12-03-2007, 16:26
But I will!

That's slowhike with the neo crossed-arms pose, then Coffee with the cool thru-hiker pants, and NCPatrick on the right.

hey, hey... be nice now:D

Coffee
12-04-2007, 16:44
Thanks for coming out, I had a good time. You guys missed a cold day the day after you left. I stayed at the Wise shelter, then pressed on to Lost Mtn. It was freakin cold. Something like 50 mph wind gusts over the balds.

On my finishing time, yeah it is not going to be new year's. I'm having too much fun and don't want to run the rest of the trail. Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and words.

At lost mtn Shelter I had a ridgeline temp of 22 degress, inside my hammock sock with my tarp. After that I hate to say it, but I am sending my hammock ahead a week. I'm adding some extra insulation to help. I was just freezing in my hammock with what I had been comfortable with before my hike well below zero. That and there was a nice layer of frost everywhere in the morning. I have to be warm at night at all costs, even if that means the hard ground.

Cannibal
12-04-2007, 16:56
After that I hate to say it, but I am sending my hammock ahead a week. I'm adding some extra insulation to help.

Nope. Didn't see it, didn't happen; I'm choosing denial over reality.

headchange4u
12-04-2007, 19:02
At lost mtn Shelter I had a ridgeline temp of 22 degress, inside my hammock sock with my tarp. After that I hate to say it, but I am sending my hammock ahead a week. I'm adding some extra insulation to help. I was just freezing in my hammock with what I had been comfortable with before my hike well below zero. That and there was a nice layer of frost everywhere in the morning. I have to be warm at night at all costs, even if that means the hard ground.

Why do you think you were so cold with gear that had proven itself before at lower temps?

Iafte
12-04-2007, 19:58
With such a long hike you have had to of burned alot of your "Extra heat layers", I.E. Fat, so of course what you were warm with before isn't going to be the same now.

slowhike
12-04-2007, 20:28
Why do you think you were so cold with gear that had proven itself before at lower temps?

i would guess that along w/ what Iafte said about body fat there are other factors involved too... like the body & the gear not being as clean & dry as before.
and i hear people talking about finding it hard to consume enough calories on a long haul to give the body what it needs to produce enough heat since there's less fat in reserve.

but i'm just throwing out a few thoughts for conversation. some of the others here are far more knowledgeable about that stuff.

stoikurt
12-04-2007, 23:16
I didn't know you were starting a thru-hike in the spring. You should probably let some folks know about that, like, oh I don't know......everyone here at HF! :D

Hooch,
You just haven't been paying attention, buddy, if you didn't know Cannibal was planning a Thru.:rolleyes:

nickelanddime
12-04-2007, 23:57
thru hikes consume anything not being used... there is no easy way to maintain the nutrition that you need to keep both your body repaired and your "furnace" set at what it would be if you were just weekending. Like how children suffering from malnutrition frequently feel cold.

Hooch
12-05-2007, 06:50
Hooch,
You just haven't been paying attention, buddy, if you didn't know Cannibal was planning a Thru.:rolleyes: I suppose I did miss something then, but I've been preoccupied for a while now. Hopefully no offense to Cannibal, I wish him all the luck in the world on his NOBO. Happy hiking, buddy! Let me know when you get near the Smokies or so on your thru, maybe I could meet you around there somewhere and hike with you a little.

Cannibal
12-05-2007, 08:51
Hopefully no offense to Cannibal, I wish him all the luck in the world on his NOBO. Happy hiking, buddy! Let me know when you get near the Smokies or so on your thru, maybe I could meet you around there somewhere and hike with you a little.

Offense? Me? HA!

I'd love some HF company out there. We can point at ground dwellers and giggle. :D

Coffee said he has lost a lot of body fat and is having trouble keeping the ol furnace going. I bet he's back in the hammock before long.

NCPatrick
12-05-2007, 08:58
Keep us posted on where you are, and I'm sure we'll meet you out there somewhere... :)

Hooch
12-05-2007, 09:04
I'd love some HF company out there. We can point at ground dwellers and giggle. :D Sounds like a plan, I'd love to join you some. If you're going to be near Hot Springs around the time of a SEHHA event, maybe I can meet you somewhere and hike in with you or even shuttle you to Hot Springs and back if you're a little further out but still want to attend. Definitely keep us posted! :D

Coffee
12-05-2007, 13:30
Thanks, it is the fat layers. I'm sitting close to 25 pounds lighter now than when I left. I am usually freezing anytime I am not hiking. I think my body is using up everything I eat right after I eat it. But we'll see.

Everyone I am in town with is loading up on cold weather gear. Reguardless of what I have heard after the fact about outfitters in Damascus, both have been really helpfull. On helped me modify my jetboil and helped me pick out a couple things. The other took 25% off everything I bought to keep me warm.

slowhike
12-05-2007, 16:06
Thanks, it is the fat layers. I'm sitting close to 25 pounds lighter now than when I left. I am usually freezing anytime I am not hiking. I think my body is using up everything I eat right after I eat it. But we'll see.

Everyone I am in town with is loading up on cold weather gear. Reguardless of what I have heard after the fact about outfitters in Damascus, both have been really helpfull. On helped me modify my jetboil and helped me pick out a couple things. The other took 25% off everything I bought to keep me warm.

are you eating as much fatty foods as you can?
i remember you saying that your olive oil froze one night<g>.

Cannibal
12-12-2007, 11:55
Ha! I'm catching up on Coffee's journal (got a bit behind:o ). Did you guys read where he found a wildlife camera set-up to take pics of wildlife near Pearisburg? He did his best impressions of: a fish, a deer, and a monkey! I can't stop laughing at the visual that keeps flashing thru my mind. I'd love to see some of the pics they get from that thing.

Hooch
12-12-2007, 12:08
My understanding from Lone Wolf over at WhiteBlaze is that Coffee should be in/near Erwin in the next day or so. Glad he's still going strong. :D

Coffee
12-13-2007, 19:05
Ha! I'm catching up on Coffee's journal (got a bit behind:o ). Did you guys read where he found a wildlife camera set-up to take pics of wildlife near Pearisburg? He did his best impressions of: a fish, a deer, and a monkey! I can't stop laughing at the visual that keeps flashing thru my mind. I'd love to see some of the pics they get from that thing.

Yeah that was a good time. Best part was my shirt was off to complete the look.

Coffee
12-13-2007, 19:08
My understanding from Lone Wolf over at WhiteBlaze is that Coffee should be in/near Erwin in the next day or so. Glad he's still going strong. :D

That was a good estimite. I'm in Erwin now. Believe it or not, Lone Wolf is fun to camp with. Had a good time with him and a few others out of Damascus.

Hope for some warm weather. Hitting the Smokies before too long.

slowhike
12-13-2007, 21:32
just caught up on Coffee's trail journal.
i hope he will do OK w/ the new BA insulated air mat he picked up in Damascus.
i've tended to feel cool on it in the low 50s & upper 40s. and he's already having trouble staying warm.

i looked at his "gear" list to see what kind of insulation he had been using w/ his hammock but i don't know if the DIY stuff he had listed was what he was still using or not.

unfortunately he has decided to do w/o the hammock for a while to see if he can be warmer on the ground. i hope that works out but i can't help but wonder if a better diet & a better under quilt wouldn't keep him warm.

BTW... Coffee, if you want your user name changed here on HF, just let jeff know.

Coffee
12-13-2007, 22:28
Thanks I'll keep it for now.

On the bottom I was using my 3.5" loft quilt, and ccp. I had my 20 degree bag on top, and my hammock sock on the whole thing.

The BA mat is working pretty well so far. I'll say for sure after next week's cold snap. I still have my ccp cut to torso length. More or better food may help. I am just limited via resupply options a lot of times. I think I am close or over 3 pounds per day.

slowhike
12-14-2007, 06:35
Thanks I'll keep it for now.

On the bottom I was using my 3.5" loft quilt, and ccp. I had my 20 degree bag on top, and my hammock sock on the whole thing.

The BA mat is working pretty well so far. I'll say for sure after next week's cold snap. I still have my ccp cut to torso length. More or better food may help. I am just limited via resupply options a lot of times. I think I am close or over 3 pounds per day.

wow, even w/ a 3.5" under quilt & ccf pad. maybe the lack of body fat is the main problem?
any way, as long as you find something that keeps you warm, that's the main thing.

if you start feeling cool on that BA mat, the ccf should help.
it seems to me that putting the ccf under the BA would be most comfortable, but putting the ccf on top of the BA may be warmer???
but i think you'll be liking the comfort of the air mat.

BTW... let us know if you try one of those "ear candles":D

Cannibal
12-14-2007, 08:39
Go coffee go! :cool: