PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose: bag liner.

Rug
11-17-2010, 19:51
I have 5 questions regarding sleeping bag liners.

Silk or Synthetic
Mummy or Rectangular
Does it go 'over' me or 'under' me?

I am trying to decide between this: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2701579&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442412559 or this: http://www.rei.com/product/797114

I will also be getting some down booties and new wool socks. After that i should be all set for any winter conditions. (I have excellent quilts, so I am just looking for that last little bit of oomph.)

JCINMA
11-17-2010, 20:43
I actually own and use one very similar to the MEC one. I find that it acts as more of a vapor barrier than extra insulation, but with that being said, it works very well.

If you want something to add extra insulation, go with the Sea to Summit liner.

In extreme conditions, I would probably want to bring both and layer them, but that's just my opinion.

If I were to just go and buy one, I would go with the Sea to Summit.

Lonely Raven
11-17-2010, 20:54
Many of the silk ones I saw weren't silk at all. That one you liked says it is. I find real silk doesn't breath at all...way too hot for me.

I prefer breathable wicking liners myself.

beep
11-17-2010, 21:08
I have a Cocoon brand silk liner (rectangular). I've only used it once, so I can't really give much feedback about its incremental contribution to warmth. Frankly, I've only used it when it was too hot for anything more. What I don't like is the lack of zipper opening. I have to slip into it from the top and then hassle with pulling it up around my shoulders.

Flatland
11-18-2010, 08:06
The Sea to Summit one is 15 ounces. That seems awfully heavy to me. I recall seeing ones that were about 8 oz. at one point. Of course, I'm sure those don't add as much warmth...

Law Dawg (ret)
11-18-2010, 11:29
The Sea to Summit one is 15 ounces. That seems awfully heavy to me. I recall seeing ones that were about 8 oz. at one point. Of course, I'm sure those don't add as much warmth...

Sea to Summit has several offerings with two mummy shaped liners (Reactor) and they are quality. One for extra insulation and one for less. Sounds like you looked at the warmer one. Mine, the Reactor, is rated to add 15 degrees weighs 9oz with a line around the top and cinch button that could be removed. The Reactor extreme, is rated to add 25 degrees is 14 oz and both are made out of Thermolite. These are quality built camp kit but I'm not sure about the gymnastics required to get into and out of one in a hammock.

Edit; I wonder if the weight of the stuff sack is part of the weight? Mine literally feels much lighter than 9oz when taken out of the tiny stuff sack. An over the calf single sock feels like more weight to me...sorry no gram scales here.

CamWaite
11-18-2010, 13:17
I personally have a DD silk liner, which i bought on ebay for next to nothing. It has a definite noticeable difference, for example the night I got my frostbite it was a very pleasant sleep the frostbite came from the ice in the boots the next morning. EDIT - Oh and its rectangular in a mummy sleeping bag.

Rug
11-18-2010, 13:31
I personally have a DD silk liner. It has a definite noticeable difference...Oh and its rectangular...

Are gymnastics required to get in one in a hammock?

I did that once with a sleeping bag (busted zipper)... never again.

CamWaite
11-18-2010, 13:47
Are gymnastics required to get in one in a hammock?

Not per se as I split the seam down one side accidentally whilst I was in in a tent in the Himalayas which turned out to be a useful modification when applied to the hammock.

AndyB
11-18-2010, 16:51
Maybe this suggestion is crazy but it works for me in winter time:

I like to take an Alpaca wool scarf with me and wrap that around my neck and face. Plus, I have a heavy synthetic winter hat. I like to zip open my bag and use it as a blanket on top of me. On top of that, I put a fleece liner or my synthetic one. Sometimes I gotta kick off the liner at night because I get too warm. I recommend not putting the liner inside the bag because getting in and outta that after hopping inside the hammock would be to much gymnastics.

sturgeon
11-18-2010, 22:04
I have the silk MEC rectangular liner. I wanted to protect my new sleeping bag. Used it once only, or rather tried to, but I didn't like the feel of it and ditched it after 10 minutes. Other people swear by them, though.
(I used a cotton one many years ago backpacking in Europe. Guess I got used to it--silk felt weird.)
Anyway, PM me. I could send it to you to try out, if you want.

LaVista
11-20-2010, 13:02
I have the Sea-to-Summit liner. Adds like 8 ounces and 15 degrees. i'm 5'10" and it's plenty big enough for me, I actually fully sinch the top shut, and close it up like a cocoon. If this method works for you, you would probably be OK with leaving a bugnet at home, for gram counters.

SkyPainter
11-23-2010, 11:08
I have the Sea to Summit Reactor bag liner (+15*), and will be modding it with a side zipper for easier use in the hammock. Hmmm....wonder if Q2 can do that when I send the HH for the mods?

Muskrat
11-23-2010, 11:34
On the heavier side but I only use it for winter camping. I like that it has a full length zipper . . . http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43014?from=SR&feat=sr

SkyPainter
11-23-2010, 11:52
On the heavier side but I only use it for winter camping. I like that it has a full length zipper . . . http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43014?from=SR&feat=sr

====>> LOL! I work for LL Bean as a second job, and have one of those bags! Actually, I used it as an UQ the last two times I went out! I will certainly use it inside my 20* bag in winter, but the Sea To Summit reactor liner is a little lighter, and doesn't get quite as hot, although I may use both in January in New Jersey! :D

The cool thing about those bags ($25 BTW) is that they can be opened and used as a blanket, and you can zip two together for sleeping with a friend! WELL worth the money!

more
11-26-2010, 02:45
The JRB fleece liner is pretty nice. It's shaped just like a top quilt with a footbox so you don't have to bounce and wiggle yourself into it. It can be used alone in warmer weather.

sturgeon
11-27-2010, 10:13
I have the silk MEC rectangular liner. I wanted to protect my new sleeping bag. Used it once only, or rather tried to, but I didn't like the feel of it and ditched it after 10 minutes. Other people swear by them, though.
(I used a cotton one many years ago backpacking in Europe. Guess I got used to it--silk felt weird.)
Anyway, PM me. I could send it to you to try out, if you want.

Seriously, if you want to try it, PM me. I'll mail it to you. If you like it, keep it, and mail me a cheque for what you think it's worth. If you don't like it, mail it back. It's just sitting in my closet wasting space.