PDA

View Full Version : Webbing or Spectra?

Mule
12-04-2007, 12:19
What setup do you all use to hang and what would you recommend to a Newby?
I just started using my cinch buckles recently. I made a short 3 foot section on each side of the hammock to give me plenty of adjustment. The last time I went on an over night trip I used the short webbing and a biner to spectra rope. Well, I hate to cut rope so each side had like 25 feet, a real waste of weight, and worse, a real hassle to use between fairly close trees.
Now I have replaced that small length of webbing with a 15 foot length of webbing on each side, no rope, but I think the weight might actually have increased a bit, not much.
If you were setting it up how would you go and why. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Mule

headchange4u
12-04-2007, 12:29
I use a piece 1.5' piece of Spectra on each end of the hammcok, that goes from the hammock to the cinch buckle that I use. Then there I use 10' of webbing on each end to go from the buckle to the tree.

Webbing is a little heavier than Spectra but it's easier to use, IMHO.

Cannibal
12-04-2007, 12:35
Poly straps, Trek Light biners, and rings or buckles. I still prefer the rings, but it may just be me being sentimental. I use 12' on each end and haven't had any problems finding a suitable sites.

I've been using the strapworks webbing and very much like it; zero stretch. However, I just got an order of the camo webbing from OWF (lighter). I haven't hung from it yet, but the weekend is coming up pretty quick. :)

Why? Because of the ease of use, the limiting of damage to trees, and the reliability.

Mule
12-04-2007, 12:43
I appreciate your ideas. I have virtually no one else around these parts that hammock camps who has any experience, so I could go for months without seeing some small detail that would make hammock camping even better. I think I will stay with my 15 foot webbing on each side. I agree it is easier to use. Mule

JohnW
12-04-2007, 13:27
Skskinner, I'm in a similar situation. Just trying to figure out a good length for my webbing before I buy it. I've been carrying around heavy climbing webbing in various lengths to try, on my day hikes, and it just convinces me I need some lightweight poly (ester, probably) webbing!

TiredFeet
12-04-2007, 16:19
If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, then webbing isn't a bad way to go, but webbing is like almost 4 times heavier than good rope of an equal rating. It is also many times that more bulky.

I use the Carabiner Hitch that Grizz pointed me to over on Rock's site. I think Take-A-Knee recently wrote that he uses that also.

The rope is more expensive than the webbing, but the Carabiner Hitch is just as easy to use according to the guy on Rock's site that ditched webbing for rope. I've been using it now and it is easy. But then if you are using a Hennessy, the rope comes with the hammock and the Carabiner hitch requires zero modification to the setup so you don't have to cut that rope.

FanaticFringer
12-04-2007, 16:48
Skskinner, I'm in a similar situation. Just trying to figure out a good length for my webbing before I buy it. I've been carrying around heavy climbing webbing in various lengths to try, on my day hikes, and it just convinces me I need some lightweight poly (ester, probably) webbing!

12' of polyester webbing per side is what I use. Seems to be a popular number.

Mule
12-04-2007, 20:34
I appreciate your ideas. I have virtually no one else around these parts that hammock camps who has any experience, so I could go for months without seeing some small detail that would make hammock camping even better. I think I will stay with my 15 foot webbing on each side. I agree it is easier to use. Mule

Spock
12-04-2007, 21:59
I started with Spectra line, but finally went to simple webbing for the entire hanging tackle. I use no hardware whatsoever - no rings, no biners.

My tackle is 1.5 inch polypropolene webbing, 14 feet for each end, tied directly to the hammock body. I use a lineman's hitch - like the Hennessey hitch after as many wraps around the tree as needed to use up the webbing length.

My current webbing has 5 months of continuous trail time on it. I will retire it soon, just on general principles. It does not look worn.

pure_mahem
12-04-2007, 22:50
If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, then webbing isn't a bad way to go, but webbing is like almost 4 times heavier than good rope of an equal rating. It is also many times that more bulky.

I use the Carabiner Hitch that Grizz pointed me to over on Rock's site. I think Take-A-Knee recently wrote that he uses that also.

The rope is more expensive than the webbing, but the Carabiner Hitch is just as easy to use according to the guy on Rock's site that ditched webbing for rope. I've been using it now and it is easy. But then if you are using a Hennessy, the rope comes with the hammock and the Carabiner hitch requires zero modification to the setup so you don't have to cut that rope.
Any pics or links to this carabiner hitch? Thank you in advance!:D

GrizzlyAdams
12-05-2007, 01:14
Any pics or links to this carabiner hitch? Thank you in advance!:D

I answered skar578's same question a few days ago. Response post is
here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=38127&postcount=10).

You have to use your imagination a little because it's not exactly the hitch to the tree.

But the idea is dead simple. Put a carbiner on your rope a couple of feet away from the carbiner at the ends of your tree huggers (or webbing). You can "clip" the carbiner onto the rope simply, with a lark's head. Now you put the working end of the rope through the huggers' carbiner, and bring back to the biner you put on the rope, loop it through that, and bring the rope back to the webbing. You can tighten the rope, enjoying mechanical advantage, and tie it off.

Grizz

Mule
12-05-2007, 02:29
I bought my webbing at a climbing store. It is tubular webbing, very supple but heavier of course than the rope. I don't have a HH but a Claytor, so I will have to use my rope if I switch and I really hate to cut it but from what I am hearing here, cutting a 25 foot length in half would be about right, then add a 3 foot length of webbing on a cinch buckle and a tree hugger on each side.
I just weighed everything. 13 (26 total) feet of webbing with buckles= 13 oz.
25 feet of rope = 4 oz., buckles and six feet of webbing = 7 oz plus 2 oz for tree huggers (not needed on the total webbing rig) is 15 ounces.
Conclusion, they are within 2 ounces of each other if you use cinch buckles.
I guess if you use buckles this whole question is moot. Mule

Hooch
12-05-2007, 07:05
I use the stock cordage that comes with the ENO to hold the rings of my ring buckle setup. I simply untied them when the hammock was new and before it had been loaded to tighten the knots down to the point where you couldn't get them undone. I then added the rings and retied them in the same fashion that there were before. I then added 12' polyester straps from Strapworks with loops sewn in the ends, courtesy of HC4U. I've used this setup several times now and am very happy with it, but I keep thretening to change over to the cinch buckles to give them a go. I'll probably do it sooner or later, just a question of when. :D

Mule
12-05-2007, 07:23
I use the stock cordage that comes with the ENO to hold the rings of my ring buckle setup. I simply untied them when the hammock was new and before it had been loaded to tighten the knots down to the point where you couldn't get them undone. I then added the rings and retied them in the same fashion that there were before. I then added 12' polyester straps from Strapworks with loops sewn in the ends, courtesy of HC4U. I've used this setup several times now and am very happy with it, but I keep thretening to change over to the cinch buckles to give them a go. I'll probably do it sooner or later, just a question of when. :D
Hooch, do you use tree huggers or just wrap the end of the webbing around the tree? Is there a special way of doing this. I am planning on bringing my tree huggers, but maybe I can lose them too. Mule

Hooch
12-05-2007, 07:39
Hooch, do you use tree huggers or just wrap the end of the webbing around the tree? Is there a special way of doing this. I am planning on bringing my tree huggers, but maybe I can lose them too. MuleJust wrap the webbing around the tree and ditch the huggers, there's no need for them with the straps.

FanaticFringer
12-05-2007, 17:01
Dont ditch the huggers....burn them...I hate those things.

Cannibal
12-05-2007, 17:03
Dont ditch the huggers....burn them...I hate those things.

NO WAY! They go into the scrap pile for later projects. ;)

FanaticFringer
12-05-2007, 17:07
NO WAY! They go into the scrap pile for later projects. ;)

Sorry I didn't think about that.:confused: No wait.....their nylon......get the campfire stoked.:D

Mule
12-06-2007, 01:43
I was just reading a post about how to pitch your tarp close to your hammock and someone noted that if you are using webbing and it rains the webbing can make the Hammock wet due to capillary action. Very good point. You could put drip strips or strings on a rope but I doubt if you could stop the drip on a webbing. Mule

FanaticFringer
12-06-2007, 01:59
I was just reading a post about how to pitch your tarp close to your hammock and someone noted that if you are using webbing and it rains the webbing can make the Hammock wet due to capillary action. Very good point. You could put drip strips or strings on a rope but I doubt if you could stop the drip on a webbing. Mule

I believe things like cinch buckles/rings would help stop the flow of water from coming down the webbing to the hammock.

Mule
12-06-2007, 04:03
I believe things like cinch buckles/rings would help stop the flow of water from coming down the webbing to the hammock.
I think so too with the way I have a biner on the ends of my hammock. Thanks, Mule

slowhike
12-06-2007, 06:59
it's not that often that conditions are right for that to happen, but it sure can.
but i believe your right about the buckles & rings. i can't see a significant amount of water getting past them.
for those that don't use rings or buckles, speer hammocks sells a drip stopper that's really small & light.

and i liked what one guy did to hold a strip of fabric against the flat webbing.
he used a girl's hair clip.

Mule
12-06-2007, 10:39
it's not that often that conditions are right for that to happen, but it sure can.
but i believe your right about the buckles & rings. i can't see a significant amount of water getting past them.
for those that don't use rings or buckles, speer hammocks sells a drip stopper that's really small & light.

and i liked what one guy did to hold a strip of fabric against the flat webbing.
he used a girl's hair clip.
Thanks Slowhike. Mule