PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide

cataraftgirl
11-21-2010, 17:06
I thinking about a new UQ / TQ combo. Currently using a Kelty Down bag, can't remember it's temp rating, but I think it's a 30 degree ????? I'm a moderate sleeper, not too hot or too cold, maybe a bit more towards cold. I do river rafting trips from late April to early September in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming. Night time temps can vary from 50-60s mid summer to 30s in the shoulder seasons. I'm pretty settled on a 3 Season Incubator (want full length). Now I'm torn between a 3 Season Burrow in 800 fill (rated to 20 degrees), or a Summer Burrow with 900 fill (rated to about 35 degrees). It's only about a $10 difference in price. I'm wondering if, with the warmer UQ, can I get away with the Summer Burrow? Or should I go 3 Seasons all the way to insure adequate warmth no matter what.
KJ

TinaLouise
11-21-2010, 18:35
I'm a moderate sleeper, not too hot or too cold, maybe a bit more towards cold. . Night time temps can vary from 50-60s mid summer to 30s in the shoulder seasons. I'm pretty settled on a 3 Season Incubator (want full length). Now I'm torn between a 3 Season Burrow in 800 fill (rated to 20 degrees), or a Summer Burrow with 900 fill (rated to about 35 degrees). It's only about a $10 difference in price. I'm wondering if, with the warmer UQ, can I get away with the Summer Burrow? Or should I go 3 Seasons all the way to insure adequate warmth no matter what.
KJ

I'm a cold sleeper and I've found that for me, I need to subtract about 15 to whatever the bag/quilt is rated for. So for me to be comfy in 30 degrees I need a bag rated at 15 degrees (30-15). I could probably take it lower than 30 but I'd only be surviving, not comfy warm. I've also found that sometimes the weatherman is right but usually he's a bit off on what the temps end up being, especially if I'm near the water. I've learned to bring gear for temps a bit colder than what's forcasted for. I can always loosen up the UQ, I can not make more insulation if I'm cold. I pack for the coldest temps expected and then a bit extra for that "just in case" situations.
If you know for certain that you're a moderate sleeper, you can go with the lighter top quilt. Even I can go with a lighter top quilt if I've got enough under insulation. I've found that the under insulation was/is more important to be rated for the outside night time temps, than the top insulation. Plus wearing wool or silk longjohns will help too.

TinaLouise

wildcrafter
11-21-2010, 18:41
very wise advice plan for the worse plus.

optimator
11-21-2010, 19:12
It's easier to cool off than it is to get warm!

beep
11-21-2010, 20:47
It's easier to cool off than it is to get warm!

+1 for this sentiment

questtrek
11-22-2010, 08:33
Go 3 season all the way... Get the best product you can get, you won't regret it.