PDA

View Full Version : Sending dad off in style

Big Jim Mac
11-22-2010, 09:04
Way off topic but couldn't resist posting these pics of our DIY coffin for my dad, who died last Friday at age 90. He always did everything himself and talked of making his own coffin, but as he got up in years never got it done. So my brothers and I did it for him using walnut from trees he planted and we had sawed into boards. The sides were kerfed and steamed, then bent to the classic shape. We forged the hardware from mild steel and added a hand stamped Chevron shaped brass plaque with his name and DOB/DOD. Funeral is Tuesday, we are praying the bottom stays in!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/72b67cfe.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/654356fa.jpg

wirerat123
11-22-2010, 09:11
Wow, it's beautiful. What a great thing to do to honor your father. My condolences for your loss. Your father will be proud his boys did that for him.

rhjanes
11-22-2010, 09:17
Sorry for your loss, but that is really a neat thing to do for all the family.

Can't Wait
11-22-2010, 09:18
That is a beautiful tribute to your father my sympathy to your loss

kc7fys
11-22-2010, 09:19
A fine way to show honor, and to proactively take part in one of life's certainties. Condolences to you and yours on this occasion.

KerMegan
11-22-2010, 09:19
wow, "from trees he planted"..talk about planning ahead..
Good thoughts to you and your kinfolk..KM (who only ever planted pear trees..)

rjcress
11-22-2010, 09:39
An amazing tribute to your father
Well done

TZBrown
11-22-2010, 09:42
That is a wonderful way to pay tribute to your father.
A project like that shows a family bond that will last forever

Sorry for your loss.

TZ

bigbamaguy
11-22-2010, 09:53
My condolances to you and your family for the loss of your father. It is nice to see a family honor one of their own in a very personal way. Be very proud of what you have done.

dowilliamson
11-22-2010, 10:01
Sorry for your loss. Glad you are able to honor the memory of your dad like that.

Lonely Raven
11-22-2010, 10:06
That's beautiful, and a wonderful tribute to your father. It says a lot about your father and the boys he raised.

gargoyle
11-22-2010, 10:22
An excellent memorial. He will rest in peace.
My thoughts go out to you and yours.

Knotty
11-22-2010, 10:23
I can't think of a more beautiful way to honor you father. My hats off to you and your brothers plus condolences for your loss.

millarky
11-22-2010, 10:30
Sorry for your loss. As someone who has been there twice, I appreciate the little spot of humor...[QUOTE=Big Jim Mac;356527]we are praying the bottom stays in! The day will take many moods; experience them all fully.

Poppabear
11-22-2010, 10:35
My sympathy to you and your family on your loss. What you and your brothers have done for your dad is a truly special tribute to him.

Syb
11-22-2010, 10:40
Sorry to hear of your loss. This is an incredible testimony to the depths of love.

Syb

fred1diver
11-22-2010, 11:05
my deepest sympathies, I must say I can only wish my son does such a nice tribute to me when I'm gone, it show's how much you loved and respected your father, I guess it shows, he did a pretty good job raising you and your siblings!

mbiraman
11-22-2010, 11:29
My condolences for your loss. You and your brothers did a nice job. Good that you got to do something together.

beep
11-22-2010, 11:34
I am sorry for your loss, but I am also impressed at the care and devotion in making such a tribute to your dad.

GrayDog
11-22-2010, 11:36
Your father must have been an incredible man as his great character in played out in his sons' lives. My condolences for your loss. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Law Dawg (ret)
11-22-2010, 11:57
Wow, I would love to have listened into the conversations you and your brothers had while building this for dad. Tribute is in the heart and memory and the whole (unspoken) story here is compelling.

gunner76
11-22-2010, 12:02
Your obliviously cared very much for your dad to put that kind of effort into making his dream come true. Job well done.

Shug
11-22-2010, 12:34
That is just beautiful ........ really wonderful.
Your Dad must be looking at ya'll proudly from the other side of life...........
Pax,
Shug

Lighter Knot
11-22-2010, 12:39
sorry for you loss, your father taught his boys well. A great honor to him

Mountain Gout
11-22-2010, 12:49
That is some beautiful work.. You guys did your dad well... My condolences to the family..

kitesurfer
11-22-2010, 13:35
as others said, your dad would be proud of his sons! i'm sorry for your loss as i'm sure your dad will be greatly missed.

Cutter
11-22-2010, 14:09
Strong work! Handcrafted by Love.

sigma_pete
11-22-2010, 18:45
I'm left speechless by such a beautiful gesture... my condolences to you and the rest of the family.

^shane^
11-22-2010, 21:02
My condolences to you and your family. He must have been a wonderful dad to have his sons do such a thing - a real celebration of his life. I'll bet the time you spent with your brothers fashioning and building was some of the most special times you've ever had together.

Thanks for sharing. I hope tomorrow is a peaceful day for your family.

slowhike
11-22-2010, 23:38
Like many others here, I send both condolences & admiration for your thoughtful tribute.

MuseJr
11-22-2010, 23:52
Sorry for your loss. My hats off to you and your brothers for getting done what your father wanted to do.

creativeKayt
11-23-2010, 00:09
Wow, that's truly incredible. Such an amazing gift to give your dad and loved ones. My thoughts are with you all.

eflat7
11-23-2010, 00:22
wow. good work

JohnSawyer
11-23-2010, 01:00
That work of art truly shows how much you and your brothers love him. A fantastic tribute. Nice job!

Veto 65
11-23-2010, 03:04
That is a beautiful way to be remembered and fitting tribute to a man who obviously taught you and your brothers so much. I'm sorry for your loss.

swampfox
11-23-2010, 06:40
I'm truly touched by your tribute to your father. He must have been an incredible man.
The actions of you and your brothers tells me the nuts didn't fall too far from the tree.
My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss.

SamD
11-23-2010, 07:27
My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Truly incredible work of art and tribute to a lifetime DIYer your Dad.
That was a wonderful way to celebrate his life and share the moments with your brothers.

Bradley
11-23-2010, 08:08
Way off topic . . .
Not even nearly . . .

I have been thinking of doing the same for my self . . . but nothing so awesome,
just plywood . . .

I can still buy a plot local here for $100 . . .
I wish I wanted to do that for my ol'man

FYI - I had to walk across the room here to get my hat, and put it on . . .

. . . so I could take it off to you, your Bro's, and Father . . .

At 90, and what displayed, he must have lived a full life.

Most X-cellant Box . . . smithy

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/72b67cfe.jpg

Big Jim Mac
11-23-2010, 08:28
Thanks everyone. He was the ultimate DIYer. Our conversation was over what he would think of us using the stash of walnut. He taught woodworking at a Tech school in North St. Louis County, always brought home hardwood scraps with the admonition that they were "too good to use." He leaned toward formica covered particle board from sink cutouts he got from a cabinet shop. So we really debated making it from particle board! He would not have been against recycled cardboard either. Next craziness, we are taking him on one last trip through Moselle, Mo., in the back of a 1961 Chevy Suburban. He just wasn't a Cadillac kind of guy...

Now I'm wondering -- has anyone been laid out in their hammock? I would like that a lot...

Hawk-eye
11-23-2010, 08:29
Must have been quite a feller ... your Dad. Condolences to your family at your loss and a lot of admiration for what you guys did for your dad. Lot to be said about that box and the man it carries.

SamD
11-23-2010, 14:19
Thanks everyone. He was the ultimate DIYer. Our conversation was over what he would think of us using the stash of walnut. He taught woodworking at a Tech school in North St. Louis County, always brought home hardwood scraps with the admonition that they were "too good to use."

Life is too short to "save the good stuff for later." THINGS are never "too good to use." Use and enjoy them now cause no one is promised tomorrow here.

Again I am sorry for the passing of your Dad.

Ever wonder what DIY project he is working on now where he is? :)

SkyPainter
11-23-2010, 16:04
Condolences on the loss of your dad. But his DIY coffin speaks as much to you guys as it does your dad. Many could only hope to have a relationship that close!

------------------------------
SkyPainter

Law Dawg (ret)
11-23-2010, 16:19
Next craziness, we are taking him on one last trip through Moselle, Mo., in the back of a 1961 Chevy Suburban. He just wasn't a Cadillac kind of guy...

This thread just keeps geting better and better! So a traveling wake in a 61 suburban as well!? Dang dude, I hope you and your brothers are doing a video on all this!!!

lizzie
11-24-2010, 09:50
This thread just keeps geting better and better! So a traveling wake in a 61 suburban as well!? Dang dude, I hope you and your brothers are doing a video on all this!!!

I say do it, Big Jim. When my grandma passed, we drove her all over the small town she lived in for many years and it was a touching tribute and memory for the family. Your dad certainly lives on in you and in your brothers - amazing work.

Big Jim Mac
11-24-2010, 13:23
We sent him out in style guys. The bottom stayed in the coffin, the forged iron hardware didn't break and the Suburban made it through the procession without breaking down. Great day for a great man!

JohnSawyer
11-24-2010, 13:26
We sent him out in style guys. The bottom stayed in the coffin, the forged iron hardware didn't break and the Suburban made it through the procession without breaking down. Great day for a great man!

We could all be so lucky to have such an exit... I can just see him now in front of the pearly gates: "Yep, those are MY boys..."

Doc B
11-25-2010, 17:13
I am so sorry for your loss Big Jim. That is the ultimate love... caring for him to the end and beyond. He would be so proud of you guys.

Thanks for expressing and sharing this with us your "tribe". I know we are here for the common cause of hammocking, but we are indeed a tribe. A tribe cares about its own. You are in my thoughts and prayers man!

About getting laid in a hammock... I have tried it pretty much everywhere imaginable, but I am still trying to figure out how to "do it" in a hammock. Maybe some members of the "2 feet high club" can chime in?

Macgyver

Porkroll
11-25-2010, 22:44
My condolences to your family Big Jim. Your post reminds that I am thankful that I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my father today. I hope your family is well during this holiday season.