PDA

View Full Version : Suprisingly Warm

Goblin
11-28-2010, 17:43
Two nights ago, the temps dropped to 33°, so I made a test of my cold weather setup. It is actually just a tweak on my warm weather setup. From the top down:

8x10 Tarp, corners folded together to close it up
Poncho Liner overcover
40° sleeping bag
Fleece liner
Blue foam pad from Walmart - in bag, under liner
Hammock
Poncho liner UQ with solar blanket inside
Poncho undercover

I wore some polypro longjohns, socks, and fleece hat. Having the pad in the sleeping bag was great. It was the most comfortable I've been with the pad, and no sliding off! However, I woke in the early hours of the morning to a wet back.

Last night, the weather was to be a little warmer, 37°, so I decided to dump the pad and see how I fared. This is the surprising part. Temps actually got down to 35°, and I didn't freeze. There were a couple of times when I woke up chilled, but not cold. Usually a quick re-adjust on the UQ did the trick.

Eventually I plan to get a nicer hammock and the gear to go along with that. Until then, I just want to tweak what I have. I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear Thinlight wide pad thinking I could place it between UQ and hammock. Perhaps placing the solar blanket on top (sound familiar?).

Does this sound workable?

NickRP
11-30-2010, 16:14
whats a poncho liner?

jhunt87
11-30-2010, 16:21
something like this

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/13287.html

gunner76
11-30-2010, 16:28
whats a poncho liner

Its a liner used with a military poncho to help keep you warm. Approx 6ft x 5ft and available in different camo patterns. I never liked to use mine with a poncho but as a blanket for warm weather or as a supplement in cold weather

Picture is of my liner in my BB on a campout this past July

Law Dawg (ret)
11-30-2010, 16:38
Picture is of my liner in my BB on a campout this past July

Merciful heavens man...some warning before showing off those lower legs next time please. :scared:
Almost as ugly as mine...;)

I need to add a P-liner to my bug out kit, just too many ways to use this and it weighs next to nothing.

NickRP
11-30-2010, 16:48
do you slip it inbetween the layers of your BB?

Jcavenagh
11-30-2010, 18:14
Hello-I am new to this site just this week, but I can say that there is a thread here about poncho liners as underquilts. There is even a set of photos that show how it is hung (outside and under the hammock).
Many folks on this site have talked about the pros and cons of this type of UQ.

Goblin
12-01-2010, 08:05
If you want to learn about PLUQ, here is a great resource:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11777