PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Line Strength?

millergear
11-18-2006, 13:27
:confused: I want to add a ridgeline to my Speer. Given that it will be structural does anyone know, or know where I can find, the safe breaking strength required?

I'm play with some Kelty Tease (188 pound breaking strength rating) I have but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies!

Steve

blackbishop351
11-18-2006, 13:34
300 lb. test should be plenty, assuming you're ~ 200 lbs. I haven't tested different ridgeline materials yet - I'm working with the stock HH ridge and haven't added a ridgeline to my Speer type yet - but I cut my HH ridge and added a small 'biner. The 'biner is rated to 300 lbs. and hasn't showed any signs of stretching at all, even though I generally hang my HH very tight and almost horizontal. Stands to reason, then, that 300 lb. test line should work fine.

Certain
11-20-2006, 21:14
300 lb. test should be plenty, assuming you're ~ 200 lbs. I haven't tested different ridgeline materials yet - I'm working with the stock HH ridge and haven't added a ridgeline to my Speer type yet - but I cut my HH ridge and added a small 'biner. The 'biner is rated to 300 lbs. and hasn't showed any signs of stretching at all, even though I generally hang my HH very tight and almost horizontal. Stands to reason, then, that 300 lb. test line should work fine.

Oh crap...I didn't even think about putting a biner that had an actual weight rating on my cut HH ridgeline. I just tied both cut ends to a couple of those mini JRB biners, because I thought the HH ridgeline was non-load bearing....fixed, but not what held the brunt of the forces in regards to suspension. Am I wrong about this?

On that note, I'm assuming you tied both ends of your cut ridgeline to one biner right? What kind of knot did you use? Do you have a pic? I...ahem...."improvised," and ended up with some f'ed up knots...but they worked! :D

blackbishop351
11-20-2006, 21:34
Oh crap...I didn't even think about putting a biner that had an actual weight rating on my cut HH ridgeline. I just tied both cut ends to a couple of those mini JRB biners, because I thought the HH ridgeline was non-load bearing....fixed, but not what held the brunt of the forces in regards to suspension. Am I wrong about this?

On that note, I'm assuming you tied both ends of your cut ridgeline to one biner right? What kind of knot did you use? Do you have a pic? I...ahem...."improvised," and ended up with some f'ed up knots...but they worked! :D

Yup, just one 'biner. You're right in assuming that the ridge doesn't take near as much force as the supports, but it IS load-bearing. That's the difference between "structural" and "non-structural" ridgelines. I haven't sat down and calculated the actual load for a while, but I think about 1/2 the support load is a safe bet - if you take the hanging angle into account when figuring the support load.

I used figure-8 follow-throughs on both ends of the ridge. I also added a piece of stock HH support spectra in there, though. I knew the knots in the ridgeline would take more cord than I freed up by inserting the biner. What I didn't count on was how short the ridge was when I got it. So I ended up lengthening the ridge overall, by a few inches. Just until the bugnet was taut.

I think Jeff took pix of this mod at Hot Springs. If not, let me know and I'll see if I've got some lying around here.

chazmo
11-21-2006, 08:43
Paracord/550 cord is an easy solution, and easy to find. I use it as a structural ridgeline without any problems.

blackbishop351
11-21-2006, 08:50
Paracord/550 cord is an easy solution, and easy to find. I use it as a structural ridgeline without any problems.

That's what I'll be using on my Speer-type, unless I find something lighter that's pretty cheap. I like 550 for a lot of applications, but it's just so dang HEAVY...and I'm not nuts enough to strip the core out of it like Sarge :D

headchange4u
11-21-2006, 09:01
I use 2mm climbing rope.

jlb2012
11-21-2006, 09:24
That's what I'll be using on my Speer-type, unless I find something lighter that's pretty cheap. I like 550 for a lot of applications, but it's just so dang HEAVY...and I'm not nuts enough to strip the core out of it like Sarge :D

stripping the core out is no big deal - go outside and tie the core to a tree and start walking straight while shucking the sheath down - when get to end of line go back to the tree and do it again, and again, and again, ... its a nice way to get in a half mile walk

btw I have some reservations about using a nylon line for the ridge line - seems to me it would tend to stretch considerably under load

Arkwater
11-21-2006, 10:23
I use Samson Amsteel 7/64 (http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new-detail.cfm?id=AMRAMSTL764). 10 ft weighs 14 grams. At 13 cents a foot its a good buy. I also have used it for support lines. If I remember correctly it has a 1200 lb break strength.

Just Jeff
11-21-2006, 10:41
I've used paracord for a ridgeline before. It stretches quite a bit so I had to hang it tighter, but it worked fine. Plenty strong.

Doctari
11-21-2006, 18:33
I use 1000 Lb test nylon webbing, likely it will support me as I weigh considerably less than that :D
My "ridge line" is also what I hang the hammock from, it is about 25 feet long, with 2 loops for the hammock to hang from, each (about) 19' from their respective ends.

Doctari.

lvleph
04-03-2007, 10:24
Can someone point me in the direction of some biners for the ridgeline. I want light and small (of course).

slowhike
04-03-2007, 17:36
the BPL.com biners are good. i like them.
JRB also has mini biners.

Dingus Khan
04-05-2007, 10:01
I use 2mm climbing rope.

ditto, bights on both ends, larks head over the existing knot from the original HH ridgeline, another over biner. those little stock loops are pretty tough.

I had been wondering about the same thing as michele - i have been using those really cheap walmart mini biners for my ridgeline, it seems to be working well yet i am worried about the long haul and if they will just poop out one day. i have other biners, maybe i should replace it :o