PDA

View Full Version : Down shoo-be-do-down down

Syb
12-08-2010, 11:45
If you sing it in that doo-wop way, the title actually makes sense.

The real point here is in looking for down insulation for my DIY projects, I contacted a local place that deals with interior decorators but can also sell (albeit at a higher price go figure) to the general public. They want $46.20 for a pound of down. It's pure white goose down, "The warmest we have" said the saleswoman, yet, she didn't know the fill power. I thought that pretty strange. So, knowing (from my limited time exploring the threads here) that not all down is created equally, does this at all sound like a good deal? Do I want to even test the waters (or the cold) with this stuff? Is there a way to find out what fill power of bulk down it is? At the very least could it make a decent UQ in the same vein as those who have cannibalized sleeping bags? I'm a firm believer in spending money as long as the value is there and all of the rave reviews about the cottage guys and gals on here are glowing. It's just that money is a wee bit tight right now. Or do I throw all this out the window and stow away my pennies for that 3SCS? Yup Stormcrow, I'm still kicking myself for missing your last sale!

Thanks for all your suggestions/opinions/advice.

Syb

Just Jeff
12-08-2010, 11:49
I wouldn't buy it without knowing the fillpower. If no one at the place knows, it's not likely the fp we're looking for. Possibly 600 at most.

entropy
12-08-2010, 11:50
If you sing it in that doo-wop way, the title actually makes sense.

The real point here is in looking for down insulation for my DIY projects, I contacted a local place that deals with interior decorators but can also sell (albeit at a higher price go figure) to the general public. They want $46.20 for a pound of down. It's pure white goose down, "The warmest we have" said the saleswoman, yet, she didn't know the fill power. I thought that pretty strange. So, knowing (from my limited time exploring the threads here) that not all down is created equally, does this at all sound like a good deal? Do I want to even test the waters (or the cold) with this stuff? Is there a way to find out what fill power of bulk down it is? At the very least could it make a decent UQ in the same vein as those who have cannibalized sleeping bags? I'm a firm believer in spending money as long as the value is there and all of the rave reviews about the cottage guys and gals on here are glowing. It's just that money is a wee bit tight right now. Or do I throw all this out the window and stow away my pennies for that 3SCS? Yup Stormcrow, I'm still kicking myself for missing your last sale!

Thanks for all your suggestions/opinions/advice.

Syb

I'm ordering down from a Canadian company and their "pure white goose down" is 73.00 per pound and has an 800 fill power. Unfortunately there is a 20% surcharge for orders under 20 pounds :(

So... that seems very cheap to me (assuming it is similar stuff)

Lonely Raven
12-08-2010, 12:22
If it's an interior decorators shop, they probably are getting down for stuffing couches and the like. That's typically more feathers than down.

Ask them if they can at least give you the Down/Feathers ratio. If it's less than 10% feathers, it's probably 600FP or better.

WV
12-08-2010, 12:47
Syb, you should have saved this thread title for the next cottage industry running a contest to select a name for their line of insulating products! :lol:

NCPatrick
12-08-2010, 13:10
Oh great, now I've got that song in my head... thanks. :glare:

:)j/k

MAD777
12-08-2010, 13:25
Yeah, I started singing it as soon as I saw the title! :)

Syb
12-08-2010, 16:25
Oh great, now I've got that song in my head... thanks. :glare:

:)j/k

Yeah, I started singing it as soon as I saw the title! :)

At least I'm good for something! :D

Syb

psyculman
12-09-2010, 05:24
At least I'm good for something! :D

Syb

Wasn't that on PBS the other night?

bloomgorge
12-09-2010, 07:30
i used www.feathertex.com (frank) email is [email protected], i paid around $2.5/oz for 650 and have been happy with the results in my last UQ. I'm making a TQ and plan to use it again. There is no min order buy and turn around it fast.

KerMegan
12-09-2010, 08:08
Thanks for that site!