PDA

View Full Version : Poncho liner input needed

ice man
12-08-2010, 11:46
I have been considering buying a military poncho liner for a TQ to use down to around low 50's. Are these things really that warm? They don't seem very substantial weight-wise. Since I usually car camp using a Clark NX 150, weight isn't much of a factor, tho the idea of going for a walk in the woods is still interesting. So I'm torn between the army wool blanket that I have or a poncho liner. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Beast 71
12-08-2010, 11:56
I've gotten down to 40F with a poncho liner and pad.

bdbart
12-08-2010, 12:00
I have used the poncho liner as an UQ (by itself) to mid 30's...but I got cold...So I rated it at mid 40's as an UQ

Haven't used it as a TQ, but in the 50's you should be fine IMO

EDIT: Poncho was folded in half (so double the insulation) for UQ

Oxblood
12-08-2010, 12:19
I imagine you will be a lot warmer with the poncho liner than with a wool blanket, not to mention the weight factor. The poncho liner is a deceptive piece of kit. So lightweight, yet amazingly warm, especially if you can find one of the thinsulite liners. Couple that with a good 2/3 length thermarest like pad, and you should be good in the range you are looking at.

dkperdue
12-08-2010, 13:45
Try using it as a mini-tent, with a structural ridgeline over the hammock.
Held it on with a couple of bulldog clips and it was toasty warm.
This was under a tarp as well.

DKPerdue

Muskrat
12-08-2010, 13:46
I use the poncho liner as a TQ in late spring to early fall months. Lows maybe mid-50's but thats typically when I will want to add something more, possibly thermals or even a light fleece blanket. During summer months, its usually off to the side of me until its starts to get chilly then I'll cover up.

I will have to agree, they are very deceptive when it comes to warmth. I'd use it backpacking over a wool blanket any day. Car camping . . . it would be a toss up.

ice man
12-08-2010, 14:15
O K, next time I come across one I'll buy it. Worst thing can happen is have another something I rarely use. Like that's never happened before. Thanks for the advice on the thinsulate ones, I'll get picky.

Wa-Hangman
12-08-2010, 14:29
Try using it as a mini-tent, with a structural ridgeline over the hammock.
Held it on with a couple of bulldog clips and it was toasty warm.
This was under a tarp as well.

DKPerdue

Where did you get that Marpat Poncho Liner?

Goblin
12-08-2010, 14:40
It never hurts to have the poncho liner. Also, I've noticed that if the underside is warm enough, the top doesn't need as much as one might think.

dkperdue
12-08-2010, 14:57
Where did you get that Marpat Poncho Liner?

Ebay
I've gotten various ones for around $10. Local surplus stores want $30, and more if they are new.

ice man
12-08-2010, 15:00
Over or under, I 'spect it'll get used one way or another. No big desire to go out camping in the white stuff, though. Spring will be here......some day.

Muskrat
12-08-2010, 15:05
Over or under, I 'spect it'll get used one way or another. No big desire to go out camping in the white stuff, though. Spring will be here......some day.

Now that's were the Poncho Liner excels. . . in the WHITE STUFF! :thumbup: I use the PL as a Top Cover. Helps keep some humidity in the hammock so that you are not breathing dry cold air all night long. You do have to be careful of condensation and allow for some air flow into the hammock but with the PL as a TC I have noticed considerable temperature difference inside my hammock versus outside the hammock. :cool:

scum
12-08-2010, 15:23
Now that's were the Poncho Liner excels. . . in the WHITE STUFF! I use the PL as a Top Cover.

Agreed. My poncho liner goes with me on every trip. Warmer months it acts as my TQ down to say the 50s before I need to supplement w/ my clothing a bit. Winter months, its used as an over cover. It gets tied off on each end of my hammock, draped over my ridgeline and tucked into my UQ. Adds some significant warmth IMO but will build up the condensation. Point is, you can't go wrong with bringing a poncho liner.

dejoha
12-08-2010, 16:06
I agree that using a poncho liner as insulation can be deceptive. I've made several under quilts (PLUQ) and have had more success (used in colder temps) when I added a layer or two of extra insulation between the folder-over poncho liner.

Using the poncho liner as an over cover is a great idea, though.

TiredFeet
12-08-2010, 17:21
Both TeeDee and I have one of Wiggy's poncho liners.

We use them as top quilts until it gets too cold - don't really have any temperature readings for "too cold", experience will tell you what it is.

At that point, the Wiggy's poncho becomes an over cover. Just toss over the structural ridge line and let it drape over the hammock edges. I think the poncho liners are 80" long which is just right for our 80" long Bridge Hammocks. TeeDee makes the hammock end panels so that they can be pulled up to the structural ridge line and close the ends of the over cover. Makes for a nice cozy bed. The poncho liner over cover provides a lot more insulation than a simple sheet of ripstop.

I have to warn you though - Wiggy's poncho liners are neither cheap nor light. We got them a year or two back when he had a clearance sale ($17 each) of the old style - which looks exactly like the current style without ties.

TinaLouise
12-09-2010, 07:38
Like the other's here, I now use a poncho liner as an over the hammock ridgeline cover during the winter. It works fantasticly. This past weekend, temps dropped to 23/24 degrees at night and I slept toasty. On previous trips (before using the PL as a ridgeline cover), I've woke up in the morning with quite a bit of wetness (condensation) on the top of my quilt and on the netting of my hammock. With the poncho liner, I left a small opening at the head end and didn't notice any build-up of inside condesation. If there was any, my thinking is that the poncho liner may have absorbed it. Anyway, no condensation on my other gear or dripping off the skeeter netting (which is real annoying when it's really cold out). So far, I've only used the PL when car camping (not backpacking) and really like it as a ridgeline cover over my hammock. I too tuck the sides in between my UQ and hammock. And I use the PL's tie-outs to tie to the hammock (otherwise it just slips off during the night!!)

TinaLouise

gunner76
12-09-2010, 07:48
I have been using my trusty poncho liner for years long before I got in hammock camping. In the warner weather it is my only top blanket and when its cold it makes a great extra blanket for underneath or on top or bunched up around my head to keep it warm. Light weight, neat camo pattern, how can you go wrong.

ice man
12-09-2010, 10:01
Thanks, folks, you've talked me into one. but... I went in to the "big city" to the sporting goods/ surplus store last night and they had them for $30. Not from this tightwad! I seem to remember them going for around $20 at the last gun show, so its gonna hafta wait a while. Yeah, I will get one eventually, someplace. Thanks again for all your input.

bigbamaguy
12-09-2010, 10:41
Check out Sportsman Guide, I got two of them for around $38 shipped to my door. They are in the ACU digicam and very warm for their weight. Used one as a TQ down to the low 40's this fall and was very comfortable...............
here are some links:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=591952
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=372697

CrackMunk
12-09-2010, 10:43
I got mine here, for 20, but I just noticed they uped their price to 25. I got it in 3 days.
Barre Army Navy
http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=poncho%20liners

dkperdue
12-09-2010, 20:22
Just go on Ebay.
Do a search for Poncho Liner.
you can usually get them under $20 w/ shipping, but you need to be patient to really luck into a good deal.
Also lots of choices for patterns.
I've got desert, german fleck, marpat and original Vietnam era jungle camo.

gunner76
12-10-2010, 08:48
I think my poncho liner is lonely and needs a companion to keep it company :D

Wags
12-10-2010, 16:32
irt the OP. i would not carry this ever. i find that it is not worth the space and weight for the warmth it gives. to each his own

nikole957
12-13-2010, 12:10
I use the poncho liner as a TQ in late spring to early fall months. Lows maybe mid-50's but thats typically when I will want to add something more, possibly thermals or even a light fleece blanket. During summer months, its usually off to the side of me until its starts to get chilly then I'll cover up.

I will have to agree, they are very deceptive when it comes to warmth. I'd use it backpacking over a wool blanket any day. Car camping . . . it would be a toss up.

O K, next time I come across one I'll buy it. Worst thing can happen is have another something I rarely use. Like that's never happened before. Thanks for the advice on the thinsulate ones, I'll get picky.

SandhillsSR
12-13-2010, 19:53
Guys, new to hammocking and trying to create(DIY) a few things. A question, could I take two PL and sandwich some lofting/insulating material between them and get some sort of a decent UQ? Being active Army I have several of these things lying around and am looking to create some gear. Any ideas?

Trooper
12-13-2010, 20:22
Everyone should have a poncho liner. I have one for winter camping, and I keep one in each car with a candle lantern just in case I break down where there isn't cell phone coverage.

When I was younger, I carried two ponchos and one liner, and my buddy did the same. Combined, we used two ponchos for a shelter, and made sleeping bags from the other ponchos and liners.

Trooper
12-13-2010, 21:24
Guys, new to hammocking and trying to create(DIY) a few things. A question, could I take two PL and sandwich some lofting/insulating material between them and get some sort of a decent UQ? Being active Army I have several of these things lying around and am looking to create some gear. Any ideas?

There are some threads about making an UQ out of the PL. Try searching for PLUQ, and there should be some diagrams and instructions. The PL is heavier than a good down UQ, but if you already have them it is cheaper than a down UQ!

A casualty blanket (http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Olive-Aluminized-Casualty-Blanket/dp/B000CPPXDM) just outside the hammock as your innermost layer of insulation should help as well.

Trooper
12-13-2010, 21:28
irt the OP. i would not carry this ever. i find that it is not worth the space and weight for the warmth it gives. to each his own

True, but it is far less expensive than a down quilt set. Down is lighter, warmer, more compressible, and far more expensive. Insulation is cheap if you don't mind the weight or bulk.

scum
12-14-2010, 13:03

Here's a couple of links to take a gander at:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23881
I did this, but used a poncho liner as my outer shell rather than just ripstop. Worked wonderfully and was comfortable down to the low teens. I still need to verify if I can go lower.

Or as mentioned above theres the PLUQ. This is the method I tried before:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11777&highlight=PLUQ
This one works well for a 2-3 season (depending on who you talk to, it may be good down to the 40s). It's also very easy to make. This was my first UQ, then I cannibalized it for the above project so I could survive the winter campouts.

If your looking for 2-3 season (no colder than 40s), use the PLUQ. Just in case the temps dip a bit, use another PL as an overcover to extend your comfort level a bit.

If you need to go colder, use the IX UQ (with or without a PL as shell - either way it's a great design) and use a PL as an overcover. Or look into making a 'hammock sock' which essentially the same concept as using the PL as an overcover IMO.

As always do a test run where you can bail if needed. Keep in mind when someone says "using X, I went down to Y degrees", there's alot more to it than just X. E.g., sleeping w/ hot water bottles/hand warmers, types of layers, quality of bag or TQ etc.

Muskrat
12-14-2010, 14:49

Correct me if I am wrong but the PL doesn't give off warmth. It helps to retain warmth given off by the individual. Guessing that you might be what is considered as a cold-sleeper and a PL is not sufficient for you. I, on the other hand, am a hot-sleeper and I find that the PL is sufficient down to about 50*. PL can be folded and laid inside a pack and will compress well enough to become not so bulky.

But to each his own I suspect . . . ;)

Wags
12-14-2010, 15:32
no not really. i consider myself neutral. but when i factor in the weight of the PL AND the space it takes up in my pack i don't find it useful enough to carry...

i consider myself a UL packer though...

SandhillsSR
12-16-2010, 11:57
I appreciate all the input and will show you guys my finished product when done.

team FTB
12-25-2010, 23:07
What is the squished down in a compression sack size of a PL??

Even an educated guess would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Trooper
12-25-2010, 23:30
What is the squished down in a compression sack size of a PL??

Even an educated guess would be appreciated.

Cheers.

About two Nalgene bottles. A little less bulky if you are persistent and use a compression sack.

They aren't the warmest or most compressible, but they are cheap insulation. A summer Burrow or JRB Shenandoah will be slightly warmer, pack to half the size, and be 25-30% lighter. But, you can get up to 9 poncho liners for the price of the Burrow or Shenandoah.

For a hiker, they are horrible. But, for the car camper they can be lightweight and inexpensive insulation.

tonejones
01-16-2011, 05:42
i was making and selling liner top quilts on here and they weighed right at a pound. I used them in the summer when i lived in NC.

Hangar
01-18-2011, 20:46
When weather warms up here in Az I switch from my incubator and burrow to my te-wa 2/3 UQ and I use a poncho liner as my TQ....

Oxblood
01-19-2011, 12:26
If you are still looking for a poncho liner, consider one of these http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197&CFID=316994&CFTOKEN=58212924

Wiggy's makes awesome sleeping bags, and I would imagine his take on the poncho liner is pretty well the best there could be.

ice man
02-03-2011, 15:38
Well, its been a while since I initiated this thread. I am happy to announce that I am finally the proud owner of a new, Brand spankin' new, Poncho liner. $32 price wore a serious hole in my pocket. Got it at a gun show from the militaria dealer. He said it was new, and Marine surplus. Gave me a razz about being Army veteran buying Marine stuff. Regards getting one off e-bay, or some other mail order business, I got a bad case of wanting to get "hands on, touchy feely" with what I buy. So I got the one that had the most "fluffy" to it. Combine it with the 3-season incubator, and I may just do some early spring hangin'. So far its a 'couch blanket for watching the tube. seems fairly warm, but awful light, like there's no "there" there. Now the concept of delayed gratification comes into play, waiting for warmer weather. I would like to thank those of you who gave advice. Thats what's nice about HF. Helpful research for the asking. Again, Thank You All.

Roadrunnr72
02-03-2011, 20:21
Well, its been a while since I initiated this thread. I am happy to announce that I am finally the proud owner of a new, Brand spankin' new, Poncho liner. $32 price wore a serious hole in my pocket. Got it at a gun show from the militaria dealer. He said it was new, and Marine surplus. Gave me a razz about being Army veteran buying Marine stuff. Regards getting one off e-bay, or some other mail order business, I got a bad case of wanting to get "hands on, touchy feely" with what I buy. So I got the one that had the most "fluffy" to it. Combine it with the 3-season incubator, and I may just do some early spring hangin'. So far its a 'couch blanket for watching the tube. seems fairly warm, but awful light, like there's no "there" there. Now the concept of delayed gratification comes into play, waiting for warmer weather. I would like to thank those of you who gave advice. Thats what's nice about HF. Helpful research for the asking. Again, Thank You All.

I have 2 PLs. I removed the tie outs on one, and was going to use it as an UQ with a mummy bag conversion. I hope to get around to trying it out this weekend. As for the last few weeks, its been very useful as my blanket at nights in the bed. I am very surprised by the weight to warmth factor. I need to get a few more--just to have.:D

Owl
02-19-2011, 21:48
Hope the OP doesn't mind my posting this on his thread, but it's a contiuation of his original question (I think).

I'm also ex-Army. I have a good bit of my gear...am mostly car camper/short distance hiker, so weight is clearly not an issue.

I'll be ordering my HH explorer and hex tarp next week.

I was wondering what temp range I could reasonably reach with the HH explorer, my Intermediate sleeping bag (15 deg mummy issue bag, basically), CCF pad (issue), and then using a poncho liner and issue poncho as the UQ/UC? I'm picturing folding the PL in half, and using grab clips to attach it and then the poncho as an outside shell to the underside of the hammock.

I already own everything but the hammock, so working with existing stuff. Thoughts?

olddog
02-19-2011, 22:46
Iceman, I made my PLUQ using dejoha's sewn method, with draw strings in both bindings on one end. This allows placing additional insulation between the layers. Used it the last couple of nights while test hanging and was surprised at the warmth between the layers.