PDA

View Full Version : New forum?

dc92974
12-08-2010, 19:44
Curious if there is any interest in a forum for people sleeping in hammocks full time as bed replacements?

fred1diver
12-08-2010, 19:47
might be a good thread to start, might even develop it's own section, god only knows the topic (especially on installing them) comes up often enough

Cannibal
12-08-2010, 20:21
I've been advocating for such a thing for a while, but there really isn't enough chatter about it yet to justify it's own sub-forum. Believe me, it's of great interest to me and as soon as there is enough of a need, I'll whine a bunch to the other mods until they cave. :D

turtlelady
12-08-2010, 20:39
Do we have any notion how many HF folks actually are full time hammock sleepers? I can list only three, but then I don't get out of my hammock much. :boggle:

Cannibal
12-08-2010, 20:45
There seems to be a poll thread pop-up once, or twice a year. Way more than three of us home sleepers around here. :cool:
There has been MUCH more discussion of non-camping hammocks in the past year. It won't be long before the mods discuss the idea again, but we aren't quite there yet.

Rug
12-08-2010, 20:50
I will be a full-time* sleeper soon. I am buying the lumber this weekend to make my indoor-stand.

I have read all the DIY posts, but I am doing a different style.
**Full time = whenever my wife isn't visiting (we live in different countries, waiting for visas to clear). I see her every weekend. So Monday-to-Friday, I will be full-time.

dc92974
12-08-2010, 21:02
I actually got involved with this site looking for full-time hammock info. Have been sleeping in a hammock for 4 months now, and thanks to this site... "have" to start saving for a tent hammock :D

Cannibal
12-08-2010, 22:17
Do some searches with words like "indoor", "Brazilian", "Mayan", etc. There are several existing threads out there. Also, feel free to start a new thread on the topic in the General Hammock forum. Hammocks is hammocks and we talk about them all here.

I've been full-time in a hammock since about April of 2007. My girlfriend and I sleep in side by side Brazilians at home. We have no plans to ever own a bed again!

WonderMonkey
12-08-2010, 22:22
I am a part-timer at home. Probably three nights out of a week I sleep indoors in my hammock.

dc92974
12-08-2010, 23:14
I've been full-time in a hammock since about April of 2007. My girlfriend and I sleep in side by side Brazilians at home. We have no plans to ever own a bed again!

Nice. Hammock in April, forum member in May... sounds about like my scenario. If you don't mind me asking, what made you look into sleeping in a hammock at home? I was desperate for a solution to back pains I was having. Haven't had a problem since the first night in a hammock (I sleep in a Brazilian too). Most people don't believe me and think I'm crazy... the few that do also think I'm crazy but were curious enough to try it... now they sleep at least part time in hammocks too.

slowhike
12-08-2010, 23:44
It was in the early part of 2005 when I got the bug & bought my 1st hammock (an ENO) & soon there after started sleeping in it full time.
Been sleeping in one every since:)

Cannibal
12-08-2010, 23:57
Crazy is the new cool. :lol:
I have a total of 5 folks I've converted to full-time hammocking. Only two of them backpack.

The AT (Appalachian Trail) got me into hammocks. In Feb, 07' I decided to attempt a thru-hike in 2008. While doing my research, I found Whiteblaze.net. There was a thread along the lines of "What tent do you use?". One young lady said she used a hammock because of back problems. Since I suffered from a back that took a vacation every year, this had my attention. I sent her a PM asking how in the world a hammock could be good for her back. She told me the only way to explain it was for me to try it and she pointed me to HammockForums.

I lurked for a few hours before finding a cheap travel hammock online and ordering it. I proceeded to stay awake reading HF until my hammock arrived. I set it up above my bed and the adventure began. On the third morning I knew I wasn't going back to a bed. I upgraded to various other camping style and DIY sleepers until I was given my first Brazilian. I now own several Brazilians, Mayans, and a couple of others in addition to my campers. In fact, guests at our home are given hammocks; we have no beds in our house. To date, nobody has chosen the couch over a hammock. :D

So, thank you "Rockstar"; wherever you've gone off to these days. :cool:

Knotty
12-09-2010, 09:58
Full time hammock sleeper here. Using a Brazilian. Probably been about a year now. Not sure we have enough people and stuff to talk about to justify a sub-forum.

dc92974
12-09-2010, 10:53
It does seem like there are a ton of questions up front but once you convince yourself to start your probably right, not so much to talk about.

Buffalo Skipper
12-09-2010, 12:02
My wife and I were talking about that just the other day. She had yet to sleep in a hammock (she's an RV camper and dayhiker on the best of trips) but her back has been bothering her for some time. I want to get her out in a hammock sometime soon.

Her main concern about the hammock in the bedroom was how would she watch TV.

Cannibal
12-09-2010, 12:10
Really easily. Since one side of the hammock, when laying on the diagonal, has a low edge near your head, you just be sure your view of the TV is on that side.
Or, you can do what Genuine Draft and I are doing for our gift to ourselves this holiday. We're having a friend set-up a projector with a first surface mirror so we can project our TV onto the ceiling above our hammocks. Saw this at a friend's house and loved the idea! :cool:

PKT
12-09-2010, 12:15
I too am a full timer, I have tried the Myan and a few other net types but so far
I prefer the gather end DIY.
It would be nice so see a forum on the subject it may spark new Ideas for indoor
hangers

dc92974
12-09-2010, 12:15
That sounds cool, would love to see a pic of that.

Cannibal
12-09-2010, 12:17
I'll try to get a picture after the holidays when he's done setting it up for us.

Muskrat
12-09-2010, 12:18
You guys using lightweight UQs with your indoor setups or is this not needed? I hang at home on occasion but its out on my screened porch.

Cannibal
12-09-2010, 12:26
Genuine Draft and I have our bedroom in the basement, so it stays fairly cool down there. Our house is not air conditioned, so the basement was the most comfortable place to sleep in the summer and is less drafty in the winter. That said, oh yeah we use quilts below us. There are a few months of the year that we don't need them, but most of the time they are needed. I've used all my commercial quilts on them with mixed success, but a custom made one (cheap) is your best bet. The JRB large quilts fit very nicely under our Brazilians if you're looking for the best commercial rig for an indoor hammock.

dc92974
12-09-2010, 12:40
UQs is an area I haven't had much luck finding info on for indoor brazilian style hammocks. I'm lucky and my house is warm enough a good blanket is all I need but a friend has a colder house and was looking for some help. I played with tying up a blanket underneath... it helped but definitely needed some fine tuning.

Topics like that are hard to search on because there is so much information for outdoor use.

Cannibal
12-09-2010, 12:51
Topics like that are hard to search on because there is so much information for outdoor use.
Entirely possible that I missed something, but I think there is very little information about them that has been posted to be able to do a search. Again, threads and questions like this keep coming up and there will be more of a reason for a sub. Still, most all outdoor applications can be made to work easily on indoor hanging.

It's pretty simple really. You just need a rectangular quilt that is wide enough to cover the 6'+ width of material below you. Get some cheap insulation from Walmart and a few yards of cheap material, make a sandwich and sew thru all three layers. Then it's just a matter of attaching it. For that, I like the JRB suspension method. Personally, I find it a bit of a hassle in the woods, but on a wide hammock it's an excellent suspension option. Since the corners of the quilt can contract and expand better than other methods, it is ideal for the kind of width you deal with on home hammocks. I tie one side of the suspension to the far left string on my hammock and the other to the far right string, then repeat on the other end. The quilt opens and closes around the hammock as I adjust throughout the night; works great! You don't need much to keep you warm inside, just a little.

brushybill
02-01-2011, 19:44
just found this thread,
i too am a full time hammock sleeper, i have a couple of mayan hammocks, both king size, one is a thick string which is nice and cool for warm months and the other is very tightly woven which is good for cold months.
i sleep in warm fleece pajamas inside a fleece sleep sack ,which allows me to sleep warmly without blankets bunching up under me , i love the warmth of an under quilt ,but since i bundle up my hammock each morning i prefer to sleep in pajamas for ease of use

turk
02-01-2011, 19:59
I am a full time hammocker for a year and a half.

brushybill
02-01-2011, 20:09
hey turk
what is your method of staying warm?

genegene
02-10-2011, 09:10
I kinda wish there was its own section.
I would like to see how others built there indoor stands so I can build one and get my kids into hammocking inside first, and then when we hit the trail they will be used to how a hammock works and have no major adjustments to it.

Mountain Gout
02-10-2011, 09:18
Full timer here as well.. I made a fleece uq... Works well.. And I love my jrbhr binky...:D

ShadowAlpha
02-10-2011, 09:35
I might as well be a full timer.. a seriously considering removing my bed out of the bed room since I either sleep in a hammock or on my couch

RePete
02-10-2011, 09:44
Cannibal I was wondering if a thread could be started on indoor hammock hanging in the General forum and then put a sticky on it. Im not an indoor hanger but I do find it interesting. This may be a solution that will work since the other Mods dont agree on the need for another sub forum.

morena
02-10-2011, 10:13
I can't believe how many full-timers there are out there. Ha. Who knew?

Roadrunnr72
02-10-2011, 10:24
I told my wife that I was going to start sleeping in a hammock full time, she just gave me "that" look. I want to try and build a stand to use a hammock over my bed, then see how it goes first. Maybe I can get her to try one.

angrysparrow
02-10-2011, 10:27
I was wondering if a thread could be started on indoor hammock hanging in the General forum and then put a sticky on it.

By all means, start discussion about indoors hammocks all you want. If they contain good info, they'll get a sticky.

This thread is odd. There are requests for forums and stickies, but only a little discussion about the actual indoor hammocks. Go create threads and talk about them...the organization will follow.

opie984
02-18-2011, 15:12
Ok, I'm moving into a much smaller place and really don't want to keep my bed as it will take up a bunch of space. I am determined to start hanging full time and am currently just weighing the options of eye bolts or the pads Knotty uses and whether to go with the ceiling or walls.

Any helpful tips or advice will be greatly appreciated :)

ShadowAlpha
02-18-2011, 15:59
Ok, I'm moving into a much smaller place and really don't want to keep my bed as it will take up a bunch of space. I am determined to start hanging full time and am currently just weighing the options of eye bolts or the pads Knotty uses and whether to go with the ceiling or walls.

I found that depending on your anchor point distance - when anchoring into ceiling at 8ft high.. I am using eye hook in ceiling --> carabiner --> then some rope larks head to loop in Brazilian hammock.

the diff distance in anchor points will vary the lengths of those ropes to get a good sag & suitable height.

Danalex
02-18-2011, 16:30
Are there bridge type indoor hammocks? I tried a BB diagonal and like the flat lengthwise lay of a bridge much better

L.D. Cakes
03-06-2011, 22:31
I finally got the nerve to screw swing hooks into the studs in my wall to hang a hammock in the house. I painted the hooks to match the wall color so it doesn't look too sightly. There seems to be no signs of stress on the hang points so I think it's gonna work! In any case if it fails I just fall on the bed! :lol:
I slept in it last night and napped in it today. I love reading in a hammock.... when I don't fall asleep!!
http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/48278/2701962970034078328S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2701962970034078328ViZGkH)
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/45154/2083912630034078328S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2083912630034078328BklrsI)

greggg3
03-25-2011, 23:06

I am also very interested in this. I don't really have room for a hammock stand in the house so I'm considering using walls or ceiling studs for support but I'm worried about how much load they will take.

If anyone has done this, can you comment on how much you weigh and how you attached to the wall or ceiling studs? Did you just use an eye bolt? Or should should something be attached to the wall to spread the load over more than one stud? Also, has anyone tried this at an angle - not perpendicular to the wall - to get a longer distance.

If I ripped a stud out of the wall:scared:...well it would probably increase the amount of explaining I'd have to do regarding why I have to hang a hammock indoors and can't sleep in a bed like a normal person. But you guys understand why, right?

L.D. Cakes
03-26-2011, 00:25
I don't weigh much so I'm probably safe by using the hooks. But I did screw the hooks into where another wall joins from behind, so they're actually in two studs. Also the kind of hooks I used are for porch swings. As you can see in my pic it is at an angle too to get a longer distance be it a small room.