PDA

View Full Version : And it rises..............

thorwren
12-08-2010, 22:48
The Crowsnest has indeed landed, and slumbers forever......We're sad to see it go....

As of midnight, tonight...... Formerly known as our beloved "Crowsnest", The Phoenix will take wing to assume the position under hammocks, everywhere.

The symbolism of its rising from the ashes into a new life also exemplifies many dimensions of our struggles, job loss, and the creation of a business that has become a huge blessing. We have our incredible HF folks to thank, for their patience for their orders, their forgiveness over our rookie mistakes, and the grace to give us a chance. We learned so much, and your feedback was invaluable. We are humbled, and still are overwhelmed by all the support.

It was hard to choose between so many great names, and quite a few were very close in the running. We needed a name that stood out from the other quilts in HG so it was easy to remember, and there was less chance of confusing the names. And... With all we've been through, The Phoenix just fit us. Thank you for a fun weekend of sewing and laughing.

Cranky Bear wins the Summer Phonenix!! :boggle:

optimator
12-08-2010, 22:49
Congrats Cranky!!!

BLUEFIN 774
12-08-2010, 22:57
I like the new name. I hope you do well with the "Phoenix".Great name for the UQ there Cranky Bear ! Enjoy the Phoenix.

Raul Perez
12-08-2010, 23:00
Excellent choice of a name!

GOLFER
12-08-2010, 23:01
Wow y'all chose wisely . I must have missed reading that one but I really think it fits perfectly. Congrats Crankybear well done.

Edit; and congrats to you guys . I'm sure it was tough to chose. I'm gonna be the proud owner of a phoenix .

RootCause
12-08-2010, 23:06
Very cool! No, wait, I mean very warm! Well, anyway.... I think everyone's a winner! SC and TW have a great new product name, the HF had a very fun thread, and CrankyBear ain't gonna be very cranky THIS Christmas! :lol:

tjm
12-08-2010, 23:23
Nice. I can see how it works on a few different levels.

It will make the name transition easy since we all associate a phoenix with re-birth and so the name ties into the idea that this thing used to be called "something else".

Congratulations on three very distinctive names synonymous with high quality.

Burrow
Phoenix
Incubator

ShadowAlpha
12-08-2010, 23:27
Congrats CrankyBear!

mbiraman
12-08-2010, 23:28
congratulations everyone.

mtncmpr
12-08-2010, 23:42
GREAT CHOICE
I wish you good fortune HammockGear

The Crowsnest has indeed landed, and slumbers forever......We're sad to see it go....

As of midnight, tonight...... Formerly known as our beloved "Crowsnest", The Phoenix will take wing to assume the position under hammocks, everywhere.

The symbolism of its rising from the ashes into a new life also exemplifies many dimensions of our struggles, job loss, and the creation of a business that has become a huge blessing. We have our incredible HF folks to thank, for their patience for their orders, their forgiveness over our rookie mistakes, and the grace to give us a chance. We learned so much, and your feedback was invaluable. We are humbled, and still are overwhelmed by all the support.

It was hard to choose between so many great names, and quite a few were very close in the running. We needed a name that stood out from the other quilts in HG so it was easy to remember, and there was less chance of confusing the names. And... With all we've been through, The Phoenix just fit us. Thank you for a fun weekend of sewing and laughing.

Cranky Bear wins the Summer Phonenix!! :boggle:

Law Dawg (ret)
12-09-2010, 00:53
Soooo...what were the four runner ups? :)

PuckerFactor
12-09-2010, 02:00
So glad you guys found a name! Congrats to Cranky Bear too!
I'd be real surprised if the Tauntaun didn't place. I keep cracking up just thinking of it.

PF

gargoyle
12-09-2010, 03:42
http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/13546/phon9279Pop.jpg

BlazeAway
12-09-2010, 04:00
Bulls eye.

Running Feather
12-09-2010, 04:41
Classic!! RAOFLMAO :lol:

I'd be real surprised if the Tauntaun didn't place. I keep cracking up just thinking of it.

PF

canoebie
12-09-2010, 05:44
Well now, in the vernacular of my young adult years; "Far Out!" The phoenix is a real symbol of hope. Thoughts become things, keep thinking good ones.

Hawk-eye
12-09-2010, 05:48
Most excellent choice!

trigger hurt
12-09-2010, 06:23

PF
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/bb2e/

I've heard it smells worse on the inside than it does on the outside.

gRaFFiX
12-09-2010, 07:25
What a logical choice- why didn't I thinka that? Thanx for the fun thread. I wonder if it's one for the record books.

islander
12-09-2010, 09:06
Great Name! Congratulations to both you & Adam. And also Cranky Bear.

Looking forward to receiving my "Black Friday" ordered 3 Season Phoenix! [Crowsnest] :D

questtrek
12-09-2010, 09:25
Great name ... Then someone will call it the "nix" ... :lol::lol::lol:

KerMegan
12-09-2010, 09:28
Ix-nay on the oenix-fay?

Buffalo Skipper
12-09-2010, 09:29
So, any chance we can expect a New Year's sale on the Phoenix, symbolizing a new era in UQ marketing?
:boggle:

P.S. Somewhere, here we need to come up with Phoenix smiley.....

NCPatrick
12-09-2010, 09:39
So what is the official ruling on what the plural of Phoenix is? Phoenixes? Phoeni? Pheonix's?

MOWOGO '72
12-09-2010, 09:58
http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/tdgh-jun/Atlanta-Seal-Gold%202.jpg

Dylan
12-09-2010, 09:58
Soooo...what were the four runner ups? :)

Yeah, I'm curious too. (hopping the symbol for the UQ formerly known as CrowsNest or the shrIncubator we in the running :D)

And congrats to Adam and Jenny and Cranky Bear!

Cranky Bear
12-09-2010, 10:03
Oh "WOW"!!!!

This is tooooooooo coooooolllllllllllllllll!

Thank you Adam and Jenny, what a huge surprise! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You two are so very kind and generous!

Oh and thank you everyone for the congrat's!

Harpo63
12-09-2010, 10:03
Great choice considering the reasons that fit how you both have come through the process! Im gonna have to put it on my wish list... Cranky, I see you are in Baltimore... close enough for me to "borrow" for testing purposes? ha

Wags
12-09-2010, 10:04

PF

i'm feeling the <3

i just know mine was in the final running!

joggerjohn
12-09-2010, 10:13
The " Phoenix " was the best name for your underquilt. No contest. It sounds classic.

TZBrown
12-09-2010, 10:29
http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/13546/phon9279Pop.jpg
Maybe this could be downsized as a logo, Pretty neat

Great choice, and fitting of a great piece of gear and a great cottage industry.

Congrats All

TZ

soundmanob
12-09-2010, 10:54
Phoenix is a great name, Congrats Cranky Bear!

Theo
12-09-2010, 11:56
Well, I think Vii should get an honorable mention at least for that poem.

BlazeAway
12-09-2010, 12:07
Well, I think Vii should get an honorable mention at least for that poem.
There might be a poem called The Phoenix.
The Phoenix of the myths is the Amanita muscaria.

SuperTramp
12-09-2010, 12:54
that name suuuuuuucks! ha, just kidding! congratulations to both sides.

cfisch9
12-09-2010, 13:43
So what is the official ruling on what the plural of Phoenix is? Phoenixes? Phoeni? Pheonix's?

Well... According to the myth, there can only be one Phoenix, and when it dies another one rises from the ashes. Soooo.... "technically" there is no such thing as a "plural" of Phoenix. Just thought you might want to know. :D;):D

Dylan
12-09-2010, 13:47

Well... According to the myth, there can only be one Phoenix, and when it dies another one rises from the ashes. Soooo.... "technically" there is no such thing as a "plural" of Phoenix. Just thought you might want to know. :D;):D

Just always use it with "quilt" or "quilts" and it won't be a problem.

One Phoenix quilt
Two Phoenix quilts :D

cfisch9
12-09-2010, 13:50
Just always use it with "quilt" or "quilts" and it won't be a problem.

One Phoenix quilt
Two Phoenix quilts :D

That seems like it should work just fine.

eflat7
12-09-2010, 13:56
Now that I see it as the name, it has a nice ring to it. I thought it sounded generic before.

I think it fits now.

Cannibal
12-09-2010, 14:09
Great choice!
I love names wrapped in mythology and lore. Always makes me feel like I'm out on a quest with my magical gear. :cool:

sclittlefield
12-09-2010, 14:56
Fantastic choice... I like that the Phoenix is a rather fiery bird - just like The Phoenix keeps you hot and toasty.

NCPatrick
12-09-2010, 14:59

Thanks. I'm sure more than one of these can exist at a time... I think I like "Phoenixes" best.

Barefoot Child
12-09-2010, 18:09
Congatulations CrankyBear!
I just felt it in my heart of hearts that the name suggested by you "Phoenix" was going to be the winner and new name for Adam's creation.

As soon as I read it...I just knew. ;)

You my friend are the "First owner of a "PHOENIX UQ", never forget that! :D

Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix....I really do like how that sounds. :)

You will enjoy it everytime you use it, and to think that it was given to you by Adam & Jen themselves is gold!

Happy trails,
Barefoot Child

Cranky Bear
12-09-2010, 18:30
You will enjoy it everytime you use it, and to think that it was given to you by Adam & Jen themselves is gold!

Happy trails,
Barefoot Child
I know, this is the first thing that I have won(that means anything, you know the small little trinkit that breaks when you look at it has been it so far, till now)! I spoke to Adam, and he and Jenny were both so very happy with the new name, but I think that I am just a "little" more happy with the soooooooo very generous and kind offer that they have put up!! Their quilts are top notch, and I have had a many, many warm night in mine (all Stormcrow made) and I didn't know what to say to him when we talked, other than sounding like a complete broken record, saying, thank you so very much, I don't know what to say, thank you so very much (I think he got tired of hearing me say it, lol)! But, I will say that they are the nicest, and kindest people that I have never met, haha, actually that goes for most if not all here on HF!

Once again a heart felt "THANK YOU" and happy holidays to Adam and Jenny (and the little crows as well)!!!!!!

Dylan
12-09-2010, 19:32
Congatulations CrankyBear!
I just felt it in my heart of hearts that the name suggested by you "Phoenix" was going to be the winner and new name for Adam's creation.

As soon as I read it...I just knew. ;)

Any inkling on the the runners up? ;)

Barefoot Child
12-09-2010, 19:39
I don't think the gingers have posted anything about the runners up yet, but anything good is worth the waiting.

tbone
12-09-2010, 20:34
Great choice!
I love names wrapped in mythology and lore. Always makes me feel like I'm out on a quest with my magical gear. :cool:
Oh heck yeah.
Great name congrats all around.

dejoha
12-09-2010, 20:44
+1 :)

Apropos. I love it! Congrats and good luck.

Nojack
12-10-2010, 16:37
Runners Up???

lazy river road
12-10-2010, 21:07
Congrats Cranky Bear on your new Summer Phoenix. I absolutly love my summer set of quilts from Adam as I am sure you will to. It's gonna be hard to resist ordering a summer burrow now though you know. A Phoneix cant rest if it dosent have a place to Burrow :cool:. And keep up the awesome work Jenny and Adam I Love seeing Hammock Gear takeing off. Cant wait to see what instore for the future. :lol:

Shug
12-10-2010, 21:45
I was hoping for SnugSlug!!!!!
Congratulations CrankyBear......... lucky bear.....
Shug

ShadowAlpha
12-10-2010, 22:30
I was hoping for SnugSlug!!!!!
Congratulations CrankyBear......... lucky bear.....
Shug

Snug as a Slug?

MedicineMan
12-10-2010, 22:43
I'm looking forward to the symbol chosen for the phoenix.

thorwren
12-11-2010, 02:17
Well - Snugslug or Slugsnug or not......

We made an oops.... Gaineskj of post #45 made the suggestion of "The Phoenix" before Cranky Bear. Wow. So many posts, so many ways to miss it, yikes! We have PM'd Gaineskj to apologize and we most certainly will send the summer quilt to her. Cranky Bear is a great sport and he understands. lol. ;)

The 4 runner ups WILL be posted... And get free 800FP down pillows. We had to stop "playing" and get back to production for the week, so we'll go through the runner ups this weekend, DOUBLE checking our names so there isn't another "oops"! We'll put it up by Sunday. Whew - what a ride!

Thanks, folks!!

HappyCamper
12-11-2010, 05:27
Great name -- accidents happen, part of life. I'm sure there was some disappointment by Cranky Bear but your intention was pure. Thanks for understanding Cranky Bear. You are a great guy and a good egg. And thanks for all the good info you sent me.

Congratulations Gaineskj!!

bugman0914
12-11-2010, 06:50
congrats Crankybear!

lazy river road
12-11-2010, 09:21
Congrats Gaineskj, you just got yourself a great UQ their. And Cranky I live around the corner so you know who to call if you need to borrow a summer set of quilts when the season comes back around.

Cranky Bear
12-11-2010, 09:40
Everyone makes mistakes, no ones perfect (I know I am most definitely NOT) I still think the highest of Adam and Jenny, and they will still most certainly receive my business in the near future(well hope its nearer than far-er, you know that hole money thing---)

But------Congrats to Gaineskj!

Cranky Bear
12-11-2010, 09:49
Congrats Gaineskj, you just got yourself a great UQ their. And Cranky I live around the corner so you know who to call if you need to borrow a summer set of quilts when the season comes back around.

PM sent!!!!

finskie
12-11-2010, 11:36
Great sportsmanship from someone that has "cranky" in their name. Obviously it's meant to intimidate the non-hanging crowd ;)

Wags
12-11-2010, 13:03
/me applauds crankybear

Barefoot Child
12-11-2010, 13:36
Congratulations Gaineskj!!!:)

And CrankyBear....."Class Act all Around!", me be liking your style ;)

and I wuv :boggle: the new name "Phoenix"

tjm
12-14-2010, 16:26
Crankybear, Well done, sir.

Another example of the wonderful people who make this board what it is.

thorwren
12-15-2010, 13:29
Sorry for the delay in the runnerups! We had to keep working on quilts... Each runnerup gets a free 800FP down pillow. To our BEST knowledge, each runnerup was the first to come up with the name, but 28 pages is nervewracking to keep accurate, lol. If you find an error let us know. We really wanted to give everyone a pillow, since it was so much fun, but we'd be in a lot of trouble, lol.

I have a break, so here they are in no order:

Nirvana - Heathenchef
Halfling - Rivendell Refugee
The Loft - EagleJ
The Rook - Cataraftgirl

AND special mention to Vii's awesome poem, so he gets a pillow, too!

If you don't PM me with your address, I'll come after you for yours. :) Thanks, all!!

Cranky Bear
12-15-2010, 14:32
Each runnerup gets a free 800FP down pillow.

I have a break, so here they are in no order:

Nirvana - Heathenchef
Halfling - Rivendell Refugee
The Loft - EagleJ
The Rook - Cataraftgirl

AND special mention to Vii's awesome poem, so he gets a pillow, too!

Congrats to all the runner-up's! Thats awesome, and if I am right (Adam or Jenny can confirm this) you all are the very first to receive a HammockGear Pillow!?!?
Hey wait a minute I don't even see these on the site! Are these a prototype version or the final version????? Will you guys be sellin them on the site????

Well either way, a very big "CONGRATULATIONS" to Heathenchef, Rivendell Refugee, EagleJ, and Cataraftgirl!!!!!

cataraftgirl
12-15-2010, 14:49
Thanks Adam & Jenny. I'm honored to have participated in your re-naming event. It was amazing to see how creative (and funny) the HF folks are, and how much they value your products. The Phoenix rocks.
Since I have a 3 Season Incubator & Burrow on order, now with the pillow I'll have a complete Hammock Gear sleep system. How cool is that!!!!
KJ

Law Dawg (ret)
12-15-2010, 14:53
This has been a fun and uplifting thread to follow. Two of these:thumbup: to all involved and Cranky Bear deserves another trail name. Manners live!:)

heathenchef
12-15-2010, 15:14
Thanks so much Adam & Jenny!! What an awesome addition to my winter burrow and winter phoenix. Perfection just got a little more perfect. :boggle:

gaineskj
12-15-2010, 15:18
congrats to everyone! this was such a great contest!

eagleJ
12-15-2010, 15:24
Wow what great week. My Incubator arrives Monday and now a runner up in the naming contest. I'm in goose down heaven:laugh:

Dylan
12-15-2010, 15:31
Hey wait a minute I don't even see these on the site! Are these a prototype version or the final version????? Will you guys be sellin them on the site????

If so, what are you going to call them?

How about:
CrowsRest
Storm Pillow
Crash Pad
Noggin Nest
Head Cold
Featherhead
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

amac
12-16-2010, 05:06
Thorwren,
Wondering what all of us who ordered Crowsnests on Black Friday will be receiving. Will we get a Crowsnest or a Phoenix label?:

MedicineMan
12-16-2010, 07:00
The HG Phoenix has arrived. I chose camo for no real reason. It is largely green with black splotches mixed throughout. It has a interesting 'feel' to one side and I guess this is the DWR coating-well it did shed water when I put it under the faucet.
Lables? I couldn't find a label on this one--maybe because of the camo?
I will say I am surprised at the length of it....for a lower leg/foot pad to augment I might need one that is less than a foot long!
It's a beautiful piece of kit, thanks again to the HG folk for that Christmas sale.

KerMegan
12-16-2010, 08:44
and now they have a backlog of names to use for future products..."Halfling" makes me think of a 1/2 length summer quilt; say 36 x 36? just enough to keep the chill off your spine!

Wags
12-16-2010, 09:48
Thorwren,
Wondering what all of us who ordered Crowsnests on Black Friday will be receiving. Will we get a Crowsnest or a Phoenix label?:

you'll likely get no label :D they stopped putting them on. sadly

Rivendell Refugee
12-16-2010, 15:33
Thank you Thorwren and Stormcrow for considering My " Halfling" !! So much for my old mantra of "I never win anything" and what a way to break that!

Really looking forward to the pillow :woot:, Maybe a name suggestion in the
Lord of The Rings Theme? ..Underhill.. Anyways, Congrats on the success and Keep the magic up my favorite wizard !

Rivendell Refugee,
A Happy Hobbit :jj:

Edit: I got it!! The "precious" pillow !! LOL!!

squidbilly
12-16-2010, 15:48
Another name for the pillow: Nest Egg

squidbilly
12-16-2010, 16:50
I can't say enough about how pleased I am with my Phoenix underquilts. Also you guys went beyond what I expected to fix the small problem with my order.

Here is a pretty picture:16707

SkyDog
12-16-2010, 17:27
I can't say enough about how pleased I am with my Phoenix underquilts. Also you guys went beyond what I expected to fix the small problem with my order.

W_O_W...!!!

Great collection you've got there!

Love the method you are using to hang 'em; does THAT have a name?

Running Feather
12-16-2010, 17:56
W_O_W...!!!

Great collection you've got there!

Love the method you are using to hang 'em; does THAT have a name?

Yeah :)
Nice system :cool:

squidbilly
12-16-2010, 19:27
Yeah :)
Nice system :cool:

Thanks guys. You're looking at the neatest corner of my gear room. The rest is a messy pile of climbing and camping stuff. This is an attempt to clean up a bit and take care of my down quilts and bags. Hanging them up seems like the best way to store them. They are suspended from 1/8" vinyl coated steel cable, with wire hooks.

gRaFFiX
12-16-2010, 19:53

Here is a pretty picture:16707

esrdxtfgyhuijokpl[oiuhytfdrewqerdtfgyuijokpinubhgyvtfcrdxezrxctyuiop nibugvyctfrexwzrxtyuinbugvyctfdrxxctyvbuinmonibugv yctfdrxxdctfvyubinjokmnjbihugvctfxdrdxctvbuinjknjh uby

Oh sorry, just cleaning the drool off my keyboard! :boggle:

squidbilly
12-16-2010, 20:18
esrdxtfgyhuijokpl[oiuhytfdrewqerdtfgyuijokpinubhgyvtfcrdxezrxctyuiop nibugvyctfrexwzrxtyuinbugvyctfdrxxctyvbuinmonibugv yctfdrxxdctfvyubinjokmnjbihugvctfxdrdxctvbuinjknjh uby

Oh sorry, just cleaning the drool off my keyboard! :boggle:[/QUOTE]

But I had to buy three. I have two boys that trek with me and mom doesn't want them to freeze!;)