PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Jungle Hammock & Fly

ame
12-10-2007, 20:14
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and in fact I have coveted a camping hammock for some time now. Based on my research here and at other sites I decided that the Claytor Jungle Hammock was the best for my requirements. So, I ordered one yesterday. Tom seems to be on the ball, and I have learned it will be shipping shortly.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to write about their opinions and experiences with all hammocks (not just this one, or this brand). It has helped me choose from the rather large range that is available.

Undoubtedly I will have some questions when it arrives, and stories to tell.

Thanks,

A

FanaticFringer
12-10-2007, 20:15
Welcome to the site.

Mule
12-10-2007, 20:23
A, I have only been hammocking for a few months, but I have bought, sold, traded and made hammocks, and I LOVE MY CLAYTOR best of all. You have made a wise choice in my opinion.
One thing I did after I got mine was to order a Sportsman 9 x 9 tarp. I cut and sewed a cat cut in it, which is a way to make them pitch tighter. After looking at it when I was done I thought maybe the cat cut job did not leave me with the coverage I wanted, so I put it on the floor and got out the stock Claytor tarp. IT WAS THE SAME SIZE!, 9x9. So, I think you will be happy with it even if you leave it stock.
Neo is the man when it comes to Claytors.
Congratulations and welcome.
Mule

slowhike
12-10-2007, 21:52
welcome to HF ame.

Cannibal
12-11-2007, 08:11
Welcome ame!

neo
12-11-2007, 13:02
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a while, and in fact I have coveted a camping hammock for some time now. Based on my research here and at other sites I decided that the Claytor Jungle Hammock was the best for my requirements. So, I ordered one yesterday. Tom seems to be on the ball, and I have learned it will be shipping shortly.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to write about their opinions and experiences with all hammocks (not just this one, or this brand). It has helped me choose from the rather large range that is available.

Undoubtedly I will have some questions when it arrives, and stories to tell.

Thanks,

A

:) good for you,you have made the best,the wisest and most sacred decision on buying this awesome hammock.:cool: neo

Manach
12-11-2007, 22:41
The Claytor is definitely a good, solid hammock. My only complaint about it (that I couldn't fix with relatively minor modifications) thus far is the weight, but that's the trade you make for a great price and durable materials.

Go ahead and get yourself some paracord, spectra rope, or whatever you want and can afford to use for guy lines for the tarp (I don't think many people use the stock ropes that come with their hammocks, they seem to always be cheap junk), and get some polypro webbing straps from Ed Speer. The nylon Claytor straps stretch way too much. I tried to go cheap and stick with my stock straps and found myself **** near on the floor by morning!

I use the ring buckle system as described on Jeff's page: www.tothewoods.net

...and I love it. Welcome aboard.

ame
12-12-2007, 05:47
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I have been reading a lot more on the site about hammocks in general, and it all looks good. I am sure I will find answers to my questions before I even ask, except perhaps this one:

The Claytor hammock has a double layer, to allow an insulating pad to be inserted. Is the "lower" layer close to the "upper" layer? I assume that when one's weight is in the hammock the upper layer (on which you are lying) is taut, but is the lower layer taut too? The reason for asking is I am wondering if there is an air space between the two layers when lying in the hammock.

I am trying to plan ahead for webbing straps, ropes and insulation. Insulation is what I am thinking about at the moment. Of course I could just wait until it is delivered...

A

GrizzlyAdams
12-12-2007, 06:22
Thanks for the welcome and advice. I have been reading a lot more on the site about hammocks in general, and it all looks good. I am sure I will find answers to my questions before I even ask, except perhaps this one:

The Claytor hammock has a double layer, to allow an insulating pad to be inserted. Is the "lower" layer close to the "upper" layer? I assume that when one's weight is in the hammock the upper layer (on which you are lying) is taut, but is the lower layer taut too? The reason for asking is I am wondering if there is an air space between the two layers when lying in the hammock.

I am trying to plan ahead for webbing straps, ropes and insulation. Insulation is what I am thinking about at the moment. Of course I could just wait until it is delivered...

A

Although I don't have a Claytor, the only sensible answer to your question is "yes, the two layers are both taut". For a pad to be giving you insulation, it needs to be flush up against the upper body with you flush down on the upper body.

Grizz

Manach
12-12-2007, 12:53
There's no space between the layers.

The Claytor has a real simple design. I think it would be real easy to make one at home.

It's essentially three rectangles of material, all the same size. The actual hammock, the camo material, is on bottom, then a rectangle of a thinner material (some sort of nylon I'm thinking) on top of that, then a rectangle of no-see-um on top of that. The layers are sewn together on three sides, a zipper is attached to hold the no-see-um to the camo material on the fourth side, and a channel is sewn into the ends (that's where the straps, or rope if you use a ring buckle system, go through).

Try using a pad for insulation before you lay down the cash for an underquilt, especially if you already have a pad lying around the house. With the two layers it's easy to use a pad because you don't stick to the darn thing. If you go with an underquilt, I think the JRB Nest would work with the Claytor. I believe the Jacks have a picture on their site of the Nest attached to a Jungle.

I've considered giving the Kickass Quilt Potomac a try. It's cheaper, and with a DIY you could make it in camo... :D

ame
12-14-2007, 21:17
It arrived today! What excellent service. Now the adventure begins...

neo
12-16-2007, 22:44
It arrived today! What excellent service. Now the adventure begins...

:) i hope you get the most out of your jungle hammock,i really love mine:cool: neo

ame
12-28-2007, 02:18
Ok, so I have had my first "hang", which was momentous for being first, but for no other reason. I had to take it to work since I have no trees in my apartment and then explain (in Japanese) what I wanted to do. I am sure that it caused much merriment (not least because my Japanese is dreadful).

Anyway, I now know how far apart the trees must be, and how much trouble it is to hang the hammock. I am sure it will get better over time, and I have identified that I need to modify the stock straps for something longer and less fiddly. I knew that already, but I needed to see how things were so I could see what was required. I also ended up lying with the zipper on the left, which felt quite appropriate. Maybe I should have tried the other way too.

Oh, and it was very comfortable.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the forum. I am happy with my decision, but I still have a lot to learn (and a lot of fun to have).

A

neo
12-28-2007, 09:10
Ok, so I have had my first "hang", which was momentous for being first, but for no other reason. I had to take it to work since I have no trees in my apartment and then explain (in Japanese) what I wanted to do. I am sure that it caused much merriment (not least because my Japanese is dreadful).

Anyway, I now know how far apart the trees must be, and how much trouble it is to hang the hammock. I am sure it will get better over time, and I have identified that I need to modify the stock straps for something longer and less fiddly. I knew that already, but I needed to see how things were so I could see what was required. I also ended up lying with the zipper on the left, which felt quite appropriate. Maybe I should have tried the other way too.

Oh, and it was very comfortable.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the forum. I am happy with my decision, but I still have a lot to learn (and a lot of fun to have).

A

:) yabadabado i am a claytor jungle hanging fool:cool: neo