PDA

View Full Version : Poncho liner versus military wool..

Mountain Gout
12-14-2010, 15:38
I have seen a couple or so replies that you thought the poncho liner was indeed warmer than a military wool blanket? Please give your opinions, I might be askin santa for one..:) Thank you in advance!!

Muskrat
12-14-2010, 17:04
Not sure I would say the PL is warmer than the wool blanket but it's definitely lighter and compresses smaller. For car camping, I'd use the wool blanket in colder months. Wouldn't consider the wool blanket for backpacking use though.

ShadowAlpha
12-14-2010, 17:17
Not sure I would say the PL is warmer than the wool blanket but it's definitely lighter and compresses smaller. For car camping, I'd use the wool blanket in colder months. Wouldn't consider the wool blanket for backpacking use though.

Agreed. we keep a wool army blanket in car. Thats where it stays for emergencies

MacEntyre
12-14-2010, 17:37
They get a pretty penny for real wool blankets at the local surplus store. Stairguy puts one between the layers of his hammock in Minnesota, but he's pulking, not backpacking.

I thought about buying one to make a frontier shirt, but I found some grey wool upholstery by the yard that is a little lighter.

bugman0914
12-14-2010, 20:14
Mac,
do you have a pattern for a wool frontier shirt or a link for a pattern?

Mountain Gout
12-14-2010, 20:37
http://www.shrewbows.com/ Try a look see at this site... Might give you some ideas.. Not to mention I love archery as much as hammock camping..:shades: They seem to go together very well.. I must admit I love my wolly blanket.. I found it hard to believe the p.l. was just as warm, but I have been wrong before..

gunner76
12-14-2010, 21:29
Military Wool blanket warmer but a lot heaver (approx 3 pounds)

Poncho liner, not as warm, aprox 1+ pounds, bigger in size

I perferr poncho liner

MacEntyre
12-14-2010, 21:31
From this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=358746#post358746):

You can get a great pattern for a wool shirtjac from www.nwtrader.com .
The orginal blanket shirt for Empire Canvas was first made from that pattern.
I thought I would start there.

- MacEntyre

GingivitisKahn
12-16-2010, 15:14
http://www.shrewbows.com/ Try a look see at this site... Might give you some ideas.. Not to mention I love archery as much as hammock camping..:shades: They seem to go together very well.. I must admit I love my wolly blanket.. I found it hard to believe the p.l. was just as warm, but I have been wrong before..

Great stuff - I've got one of Ron's Longhunter shirts (and the hood) and love it. That's my primary garment for hunting once the mercury dips below 30* or so.

Spire
03-18-2011, 16:35
For weight Vs. warmth I'd go with a woobie(poncho liner).

termite
03-23-2011, 11:09
I have a couple of each lying around the house. The blankets sre much warmer, but unless you are car camping I would not even think of packing one, way to heavy and bulky. Liner VS blanket for warm really depends in my opinion to how old and washed the blanket is, or whether the liner is an actual issue one or a knock off.

oldsoldier
03-23-2011, 11:13
Wool isnt practical to carry, as others pointed out. The upside is, it will not compress. For my money, go with the poncho liner. I have a "woobie" made by Kifaru, which is MUCH better than my original woobie, that has seen service since 1988 (now semi-retired as a couch blanket)-its a little more expensive, but they are much warmer.

Mountain Gout
03-23-2011, 11:17
I have since acquired a pl.. I like.. goes into a relatively small stuff sack, good to about 50 degrees for me.. Glad I bought one..

Bulldawg
03-23-2011, 13:05
Nothing like a good pancho liner!

Law Dawg (ret)
03-23-2011, 13:56
Cage (car) camping means the wool blankets go with every time...no question. Moto camping means a struggle between needed stuff and carrying one anyway (space being the prime mover). Love my US wool blankets and once upon a time had a wool sleeping bag liner with zipper and all! Regret letting that one go.:(

I don't backpack but still am looking at a couple of PLs for those times when the moto kit just will not allow for the extra bulk of the wool.

Owl
03-23-2011, 14:12
It really depends on how you want to travel, and what the weather conditions are going to be like.

A wool blanket has a lot of advantages. It's warmer, much more water repellent, and retains a higher insulation value even when wet than a poncho liner does. If you do it right, you can wear one as a coat/poncho/cloak, as well as use it for sleeping at night.

It also weighs a ton, compared to a PL. Especially once that sucker gets wet.

A poncho liner is much, much lighter and more "airy". It's a lot more comfortable and breathes better during a summer hike. It's far lighter, but takes up a pretty hefty amount of space even when you try to pack it down. It's also harder to "wear" as an outer garment on it's own, and it's not water repellent nor is it easy to treat to become so.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I'm carrying both a PL and a thin fleece blanket along with my sleeping bag for cold weather right now. When it's REALLY cold I'll swap the fleece blanket out for wool, and use both it and the PL as needed.

Derek81pci
04-10-2011, 12:58
I have an issue PL, and I have used wool blankets in the past. I prefer the PL, mainly because it's lighter and dries MUCH faster than a wet wool blanket. If you do decide to go wooly, I'd strongly advise on getting a blend, and not a cotton blend (if that's even possible). But yeah, PL for me.

ibgary
10-12-2012, 08:41
What is the insulation in a poncho liner?

Troop2011scoutmaster
10-12-2012, 12:21
If you use a poncho liner with a poncho it beats a wool blanket hands down.

I have spent many a night in below freezing temperatures with just a poncho and liner.

Troop2011scoutmaster
10-12-2012, 12:24
I guess I should pay more attention and check the date on the OP because this is almost two years old.

Riddled
10-12-2012, 14:07
I wouldn't worry about calling this one from the ashes scoutmaster. A discussion on wool and woobies is timeless and will probably come up many more times. I have carried both backpacking, but not for long trips, because of the weight, and even the short hikes got awful rough. It's all a question of priorities. If you are on a limited budget wool may be the way to go, but you will have to trade the weight off in other areas, or tough it out(which is rarely fun). I use the poncho liner, woobie, and wool blanket for ground camping, which i haven't done since discovering hammocks. Putting wool between the layers is a good idea. Now that I have a double layer hammock I may have to try this sometime.

Yojimbo
10-12-2012, 17:50
I have a couple old wool mexican ponchos. I hadn't thought about putting the in a double layer hammock. I like it. What kind of temp rating do you think that could get? They are pretty thickly woven. Also would adding a pluq underneath be feasible?