PDA

View Full Version : Who's thru-hanging the AT in 08?

Cannibal
12-14-2007, 09:24
So, who am I going to have for company next year? At least, enlightened (hangers) company.

I've been reading the 07 version of this thread and am wondering if the 08 class will be any larger.

From memory (not so good) I know:

Me. :D
Cerberus
Sgt. Rock
Johnny Quest (still in?)
Furtigan

and probably a host of others that I can't think of right now; no offenese intended.

Who's going, when, what. Let's hear it!

Nest
12-14-2007, 12:26
I've seen a couple hammockers in trailjournals. Just from reading their journals and seeing them mentioned.

job13_5
12-17-2007, 02:02
I'll be spending at least a couple months on the AT this season. Not thru-hiking, but I'll be out there for a while.

Undershaft
12-18-2007, 10:03
I hope to get back on the AT for at least a month this summer. I spent about 2 months on the trail last summer. Living in a hammock for weeks at a time is a lot of fun. During the warm months of July and August I used a ridgerest pad and a fleece sleeping bag liner as my sleep system. I only got cold a couple of times when it dropped to the low 50s right before dawn. I also found that the stock tarp that comes with the hennessy is plenty big enough. I survived many rain storms and downpours and never got a drop of water inside the hammock. I can't say the same for my tent. Hammocks are also a lot more stealthy than tents. I saw quite a few hammock hangers on the trail. I even converted a few people along the way.

Cannibal
12-18-2007, 10:10
Converts are good!
Looking forward to seeing job 13 5 and Undershaft doing some sections next year. Watch out for Cerberus, he's crazy; hide your daughters! :D

Sasquatch
12-18-2007, 13:44
I won't be thru but will be out and about. The joke right now is that I am a "ru" hiker in that I have half of a few states but none completed. I am not sure where or when but throughout the year as time allows. I am sure by spring my wife will kick me out of the house and tell me to go south and hike for a while if i keep driving her nuts and sticking my cold feet on her while she is trying to sleep. I have a method to my madness.

T-Dubs
12-18-2007, 17:14
My plan is to start April 15 on Springer and hike until my son' graduation in early June. Or I may come home in week. Pretty loose plans at this time. (-:

TWS

Nest
12-18-2007, 17:47
Converts are good!
Looking forward to seeing job 13 5 and Undershaft doing some sections next year. Watch out for Cerberus, he's crazy; hide your daughters! :D

There's room in my hammock to hide them if you need to.

Take-a-knee
12-18-2007, 23:11
My daughter and I plan to do a loop of the BMT and the AT (just the lower loop) starting at the end of May.

kohburn
12-19-2007, 15:06
unfortunately due to life restraints (money requirments which requires working) i may be some number of years before i am able to do a thru hike. i'll be out there for many a 4 day weekend

preprunner
12-22-2007, 10:26
I wont be doin a full thru hike, but a couple of friends and I are planning to do a month or so sometime around mid-May, June time frame.

Coffee
12-30-2007, 16:20
Just the AT? How about different trails? I'm eyeing a different trail or some sort for next year.

slowhike
12-30-2007, 16:47
Just the AT? How about different trails? I'm eyeing a different trail or some sort for next year.

not many of us could keep up w/ you man:D i know i couldn't:o

Cannibal
12-31-2007, 09:18

I gotta start somewhere. :D :o

pure_mahem
12-31-2007, 10:14
Canibal I saw this and thought of you for your thru hike, now all we have to do is find you a mask, lol!

http://cgi.ebay.com/63-CREEPY-WOODEN-SKULL-HIKING-WALKING-STICK-STAFF_W0QQitemZ260197294317QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2380 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cannibal
12-31-2007, 10:23
That is kind of neat. My little (younger) brother whittled me a small token about 3.5" long with my Trailname and a little skull on the top. It's a waste of grams, but I'm taking it to hang from my tarp with pride. :cool:

Coffee
12-31-2007, 12:42
That is kind of neat. My little (younger) brother whittled me a small token about 3.5" long with my Trailname and a little skull on the top. It's a waste of grams, but I'm taking it to hang from my tarp with pride. :cool:

It's not useless if you use or like it. Entertainment is priceless and worth every pound.

Just Jeff
12-31-2007, 20:05
The most useful trail tools are in your head - skills, attitude, etc. Everything else is just an enabler for you to use those tools better. So as Coffee says, entertainment is just another tool to enhance your experience.

Besides, stuff like this shows personality...and you can't buy a good personality!

Cannibal
01-02-2008, 08:53
Well my first real step towards the Trail just took place; I just handed my CEO my resignation. Very surreal and I thought I'd feel more relief than I do right now. Maybe it just takes a while to set in. Feeling very sheepish at the moment, but I know I'll wake-up tomorrow feeling lighter. Plus, we have high 20s forecast for tonight so I'll be snugglin up with my RMS outside tonight! :D

Just Jeff
01-02-2008, 09:53
Probably won't really feel that relief until you make it out of GA. I know I wouldn't! Resignation is a big step!

Mine's coming in 10 more years! I'll hang vicariously through you this year, though - gonna keep a good journal like Coffee?

Cannibal
01-02-2008, 10:05
Probably won't really feel that relief until you make it out of GA. I know I wouldn't! Resignation is a big step!

Mine's coming in 10 more years! I'll hang vicariously through you this year, though - gonna keep a good journal like Coffee?

Yeah it's a big step, but I needed to do it even if I wasn't going hiking. Ten years at one place in the financial field is pretty close to career suicide paycheck wise.

Oh yes, I will certainly be keeping a journal. I'm an avid writer in normal life, so keeping a Trail Journal will be a good connection to normality while I'm out there. I can only hope it will be of Coffee Caliber. :)

GrizzlyAdams
01-02-2008, 10:22
Yeah it's a big step, but I needed to do it even if I wasn't going hiking. Ten years at one place in the financial field is pretty close to career suicide paycheck wise.

Oh yes, I will certainly be keeping a journal. I'm an avid writer in normal life, so keeping a Trail Journal will be a good connection to normality while I'm out there. I can only hope it will be of Coffee Caliber. :)

Change can be good. Much to my wife's chagrin, I've not stayed in the same job for more than 9 years. And the 9-year stint was in her hometown. Note to anyone who is interested : you may never be forgiven for dragging your wife away from family and friends at home, merely for the sake of your sanity at work. Tradeoffs. In year 5 at the current place, might actually finish out the career here. Except it's so much overhead to get to interesting outdoor recreation :(

Coffee taps out his postings on a PDA or smartphone with those tiny keyboards. I can't imagine doing that, I especially can't imagine doing that if the keyboard isn't QWERTY. If that resonates with you, check out something like the iGo bluetooth keyboard. (http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Blackberry-Handhelds/dp/B0002OKCXE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FG44BA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PYZ6RR9VWD7373BF61X) . 6 oz. $60 at Amazon. One reviewer said he can type with it on his lap...

Grizz

Cannibal
01-02-2008, 10:33
At this point I'm planning on going 'old school'. I truly enjoy the feel and 'vibe' of writing my thoughts. Not to mention the fact that many of my thoughts will not be available for public consumption. :eek: I really don't want to keep two separate journals so I plan to post edited versions of my written journal when I'm in town.

I tried a PocketMail thing-a-ma-bob; my fingers are way too chubby for that tech. and I don't know if the cheapo prepaid phone that I'll get will be bluetooth capable. However for $60, if it is I might try it. Beats waiting for the library to open. Thanks for the link!

Coffee
01-02-2008, 12:27
I looked at a couple diffferent journal options. Pocketmail is the best I came up with at the time. The problem with the cell phone that I had is that I had to have a cell phone signal to compose anything. Plus battery life is more of an issue on that. I get 3 to 4 weeks out of a set of pocketmail 2 AA batteries. Ebay has good deals on them, I think i paid $25 for mine. It also made keeping up with people a lot easier. You might want to pick up a cheap phone card. There was a couple places including where I got off that I had to make a phone call and did not get cell phone service. No cell phone service in towns like Fontana ****, Hot Springs, Damascus. Good call on the prepaid. I think that is the way to go if you are going to use it sparingly.

Like everything else do what will make you happy when you get home and think back on your hike. Outside of the Cyber relm I only saw a few people that were diehard about anything. Everyone else just seemed to go with it and have fun.

On a related note, if everything keeps up on my end I am going to head back out on Monday. The ankle is feeling a lot better. Going to go for a walk around the hometown tomorrow.

Nightwalker
01-02-2008, 17:58

My trailname toy is at least not a waste of weight. Skidsteer made me a stove with the AT symbol on the bottom of it and a from/to thingie.

Those of you who don't know Skids should find a way to meet him. He's one of the real good guys out there, and makes some killer stoves.

T-BACK
01-05-2008, 11:06
I'll be on the At in 08 but if I'm on schedule, I should be ahead of the mass exodus from Springer. I feel you pain about the resignation. I thought I was going to throw up as I was handing mine in to my supervisor. Almost as bad as when I proposed to my wife, though not quite. You'll be fine and there are always jobs to be had. I'm not above doing much of anything until the right job comes along at the end of my hike. That thought has given me a lot of comfort in the past few months. Hang in there! (pun intended).

job13_5
01-05-2008, 15:05
Can anyone recommend a good section hike for the late May to mid July time frame? I've never been in the east so I don't know much about the trail. Just looking for some quality in-the-woods time. I look forward to seeing folks out there!

kayak karl
01-05-2008, 22:16
im going SOBO in 2008 after june 1st.

eyewall
01-05-2008, 22:52
I'm planning on leaving Springer in early April for a month or so section hike north. Hope to see some of you fine hangers...

Iafte
01-06-2008, 10:56
I am thinking of doing a few weekend hikes with my boys this year. Might work on New Jersey or PA sections this year.

bobcat13
02-13-2008, 21:33
I'm leaving from Springer March 26 and heading NOBO for an attempting thru-hike. I'm carrying a Clark UL. Any suggestions on Sleeping Bag type/temp rating. I'm new to this hammock thing and I am worried about the cold temps from below. I will be carrying a foam pad.

Coffee
02-13-2008, 23:39
I'm leaving from Springer March 26 and heading NOBO for an attempting thru-hike. I'm carrying a Clark UL. Any suggestions on Sleeping Bag type/temp rating. I'm new to this hammock thing and I am worried about the cold temps from below. I will be carrying a foam pad.

I have faith in you dude. You are not going to attempt anything. You are going to hike. Have fun and remember everyone is a section hiker until they hike from one end to the other.

Foam pads are cheap and light-ish. Nothing wrong with starting more than you need and ditching as you figure it out.

mozzie
02-14-2008, 03:42
yes i am ,not planning to go to the ground at all,never i say.i leave in 6 days.i know is early,but i am old ,walk slow(mozzie along).i figure i will be ahead of the herd.i have 8 months ,is that enough time i hope so.

slowhike
02-14-2008, 15:08
yes i am ,not planning to go to the ground at all,never i say.i leave in 6 days.i know is early,but i am old ,walk slow(mozzie along).i figure i will be ahead of the herd.i have 8 months ,is that enough time i hope so.

that sounds like a good plan to me... all ways hanging & traveling slow:D

Doctari
02-14-2008, 17:40
I'll be sectioning from Hughes gap (just N of Greasy creek friendly) to Atkins or beyond starting April 18th - May 10th ish. The PLAN is to hang every night except for one at Kincora. After all, I may as well be comfortable & sleep in the bed I use at home :p

Birchbark
02-24-2008, 19:26
I plan on arriving at Springer on the 16th of March. HH, JrB Nest & RMS, 9x9 SG camo tarp, Zip Stove.

Made it to Waynesboro last year, this year I plan on going all the way.

Good luck to everyone on the A.T. or elsewhere.

B.B.

slowhike
02-24-2008, 21:28
I plan on arriving at Springer on the 16th of March. HH, JrB Nest & RMS, 9x9 SG camo tarp, Zip Stove.

B.B.

sounds like a good cold weather set up. do you plan to switch the RMS for a lighter quilt during the warmer months?

Cannibal
02-24-2008, 23:28

B.B.

Looking forward to seeing you on the Trail Birchbark! You'll make it all the way, we all will.

Birchbark
02-25-2008, 08:31
I don't have any strict plans regarding switching quilts when it gets warmer, other than my general intent to "play it by ear."

I've never been the warmest sleeper, but by using layers of fleece sleepwear and incorporating more intelligence in site selection this time around, everything should work out just fine.

My packing will be minimal, very much as it was at the end of last year. Only change this time around will be the inclusion of rain gear. Will probably go with Frogg Toggs simply because I don't want to spend $80 on an item that will be mailed home once the weather warms. My thinking was always that if it is so cold and rainy that continued hiking could endanger my life, I'd just sling the hammock and read in comfortable warmth. I'm not confident that this thinking will be approprate for mid-March in NW Georgia.

I look forward to meeting as many of you as I am able,
B.B.

FanaticFringer
02-25-2008, 08:50
I don't have any strict plans regarding switching quilts when it gets warmer, other than my general intent to "play it by ear."

I've never been the warmest sleeper, but by using layers of fleece sleepwear and incorporating more intelligence in site selection this time around, everything should work out just fine.

My packing will be minimal, very much as it was at the end of last year. Only change this time around will be the inclusion of rain gear. Will probably go with Frogg Toggs simply because I don't want to spend $80 on an item that will be mailed home once the weather warms. My thinking was always that if it is so cold and rainy that continued hiking could endanger my life, I'd just sling the hammock and read in comfortable warmth. I'm not confident that this thinking will be approprate for mid-March in NW Georgia.

B.B.

Hard to beat this price for the Dri-Ducks. Get a second pair just in case you need to mail it to yourself and it will still be cheaper than the Frogg Toggs.
I'd say you could live without the pants.
Works great as a wind jacket and to add extra warmth.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frogg-toggs-driducks-rain-suit-khaki-gear-dri-ducks_W0QQitemZ230224041536QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1370 07QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

FanaticFringer
02-25-2008, 08:51

B.B.

Hard to beat this price for Dri-Ducks. Get a second pair just in case you need to mail it to yourself and it will still be cheaper and lighter than the Frogg Toggs.
I'd say you could live without the pants.
Works great as a wind jacket and to add extra warmth.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Frogg-toggs-driducks-rain-suit-khaki-gear-dri-ducks_W0QQitemZ230224041536QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1370 07QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
Any holes that need repairing use duck tape placed on the inside of the tear.
Good luck on your hike.

Cannibal
02-25-2008, 09:42
DriDucks are Frogg Togg products now; they were aquired. Their online store is down right now, but I think I paid $59 or $69 for the classic Frogg Togg suit (top & bottom). The weight is 17oz with the stuff sack. I don't know what the Dri Ducks run in price.

angrysparrow
02-25-2008, 09:45
I don't know what the Dri Ducks run in price.

They used to be between $20 and $25, depending on the vendor. FF's link above is even cheaper.

Cannibal
02-25-2008, 09:49
That would be a heck of a deal for less than half the price of the FT suits!

I bet being part of the corporate family messes up that kind of pricing. :(

angrysparrow
02-25-2008, 09:53
Frogg Toggs is based out of Guntersville, AL. And, the ebay seller linked above is also from AL. Kind of makes me wonder if they aren't informally selling off stock, or if someone local bought a bunch at a discount. *just thinking out loud*

headchange4u
02-25-2008, 10:17
I like my Dri-Ducks (aka Drop Stoppers) better than my Frogg Toggs. The DD fit better, looks better, and are lighter. They are also cheap enough you can buy a couple of sets to have a spare.

The price listed in the Ebay auction is what I paid for mine over a year ago, 4.99 Buy It Now with 9.99 shipping and handling.

Shiloh
02-25-2008, 10:46
I am starting my thru-hike on March 10th from Amicalola with a Speer III, winter tarp, and Peapod.

Destination - Katahdin.

~Shiloh~

angrysparrow
02-25-2008, 10:52
I am starting my thru-hike on March 10th from Amicalola with a Speer III, winter tarp, and Peapod.

Any top quilt?

FanaticFringer
02-25-2008, 11:23
Frogg Toggs is based out of Guntersville, AL. And, the ebay seller linked above is also from AL. Kind of makes me wonder if they aren't informally selling off stock, or if someone local bought a bunch at a discount. *just thinking out loud*

I've thought the same thing.

Shiloh
02-25-2008, 17:04
Any top quilt?

To Be Determined. (soon)

I'm thinking a UL 30* sleeping bag as a top quilt. Then send the Peapod home around Pearisburg, VA.

I am open to any sage advise.

~Shiloh~

Shadowmoss
02-25-2008, 20:36
Shiloh:

Any more thoughts on changing out to ring buckles or cinch buckles on your hammock? How about the Figure 9's on your tarp? Anything else you saw at my place that looked like it might work?

FeO2
02-25-2008, 21:46
Hey Cannibal,

I can't do the whole thing until I retire, but I'm looking at doing 120 miles through The Whites this summer.

Do you guys post your progress somewhere accessible to those who dream of thru-swinging the whole AT?

My vacation time is flexible, but I need to give early notice for a two week chunk.

I can always drive up and "magic the trail a bit" :D if the timing is off.

FeO2

Cannibal
02-26-2008, 01:27
Do you guys post your progress somewhere accessible to those who dream of thru-swinging the whole AT?

Yes; my trail journal (http://trailjournals.com/Cannibal). I will be updating when in town so it will be about a week or so behind, but it'll give you a rough idea where I am. Of course, I'll be logging into the forums from time to time (gotta keep my eye on these folks :rolleyes: ).

Public Service Announcement:
Anybody that's feeling fiesty and wants to hike a day or two with me would be welcome! I can't think of a better way of meeting you folks than on the Trail where we belong. :cool:

slowhike
02-26-2008, 06:30
Yes; my trail journal (http://trailjournals.com/Cannibal). I will be updating when in town so it will be about a week or so behind, but it'll give you a rough idea where I am. Of course, I'll be logging into the forums from time to time (gotta keep my eye on these folks :rolleyes: ).

Public Service Announcement:
Anybody that's feeling fiesty and wants to hike a day or two with me would be welcome! I can't think of a better way of meeting you folks than on the Trail where we belong. :cool:

i'd like to hook w/ you at some point if it works out. i'll send you my cell#.