PDA

View Full Version : Top insulation help

JCK
12-20-2010, 07:14
Hello everyone, I have a question, and I'm no't sure of the solution.

I currently don't have enough money for a topquilt. I'm planning on buying a HG 3S burrow, but until I've saved enough, I'd like to have a temporary solution to provide some top insulation, as from what I've read here, its needed.

Are there some cheap options, that would provide decent warmth (I want to go down to temperatures around 5*C (roughly 40*F). But it needs to be fairly light, so if I go on a few short hikes before I get my TQ, I dont have to carry around 3 kg of warmth.

I'd be willing to spend about 30 bucks (I know this is pretty low, and I'm not too sure what I can use atm). I've really no idea what I should use. old blankets? something synthetic (cheaper I'd imagine).

I'm no good with DIY, but if you'd like to suggest it, I may look into it.

any suggestions or advice you have, would be great.

titanium_hiker
12-20-2010, 08:32
do you have a sleeping bag already? They work great as top quilts.

G.L.P.
12-20-2010, 08:58
$30 is not alot to work with.....
the only think your going to find for that is a cheap walmart bag
sometimes yousee cheap bags come up in the for sale section ... keep an eye out there
also check campmor.com ... they might have a sale going on

mountaingoat
12-20-2010, 09:03
It would help to know what you do; do you car camp or backpack? If you don't have to carry your gear on your back for a long distance, then the sky is the limit. You can buy all kinds of blankets at a thrift store and they will work just fine. If you backpack, then money becomes an issue because light gear is expensive.

bigbamaguy
12-20-2010, 10:11
JCK:
I would recommend a Poncho Liner from Cheaper than Dirt dot com or SportsmanGuide dot com. The PL's can generally be purchased for around $20 (US), and sometimes you can find them cheaper than that. I have used one down to 40 degrees and been comfortable with a lite weight base layer on. Check some of the Military Surplus shops, if you have any there, as another possible location for PL's.

Trooper
12-20-2010, 10:30
If you don't have a sleeping bag or a blanket that you can use, it will be difficult to find something light for $30. Someone has said that you can have two out of three: Light; Inexpensive; Warm, but never all three.

Worst case scenario, you may have to go Han Solo on a Kangaroo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVJ3dhb9NA&feature=related)...

BillyBob58
12-20-2010, 10:41
Start by looking around at this site as already suggested:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43144

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___42081

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85248

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68537

wisenber
12-20-2010, 10:58
5° C is not too much of a stretch. A thick fleece or wool blanket combined with a healthy amount of clothing warn could probably get you there. I'm not sure which retailers are available in Australia, but I'm pretty sure shipping and tariffs might eat up most of your $30.
You might try bringing some long-johns, a an extra couple of layers for your torso and some good insulation for your head. That alone will get many campers into the 10° C range. Adding a thick blanket should easily get you to 5° C. It is not the most elegant solution, but it may make you appreciate your TQ when it arrives. That's how many trappers and long hunters managed for centuries before we had all of these down things to spoil us.

dakotaross
12-20-2010, 11:20
At 40F with the UQ you have, you really don't need that much on top. You could probably get away with a JRB quilt liner which is on sale for $20 - not sure what it cost to ship to you - with a full complement of clothing, of course. Otherwise, an el-cheapo bag which will likely be very bulky.

JCK
12-20-2010, 19:31
Thanks for all the suggestions.

MountainGoat - I do intend to backpack with it, so I will be carrying it on my back and not in a car. I know 30 bucks is pushing it, but thats all I can really afford. So no qualms with second hand gear.

TitaniumHiker & GreenLesPaul - I do have a really old synthetic sleeping bag, but it weighs around 2.5kg, and is massive pack size, about 17" high, and 6" diameter. I did consider a cheap sleeping bag, which are available in some stores in Aus, but so far I'm still looking for a decent sized one.

I would take the weight penalty, as its only for a short time I will be using it for, so I'd be happy to lug around up to 1 kg for a top insulation layer.

BigBamaGuy & DakotaRoss - thats a good idea about the poncho/quilt liner, I'll have to see what I can find locally, there are a few disposals shops that may have something. I'm thinking this may be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll have a look around some stores today.

TiredFeet
12-20-2010, 20:08
If DIY is an option I would suggest buying 5 yards of Insultex and cutting 2 80" lengths or cut to 160" and fold. Sew the edges together to form a double layer top quilt.

That'll give you an 80" x 62" top quilt. More than enough in length and width to even use on the ground if you have to. Wrap the sides around you to seal. You could could add a channel on one end for cord with 2 cord locks - one on each end of thecord. If you fold the 160" to get the 80" length, then sewing the channel is trivial on that end. Pull the cord and snug it tight using the cord locks to form a foot box.

Nothing fancy, but it'll will work.

Don't know the exact price of Insultex by the yard, but $30 should be close to the price of 5 yards with shipping.

You also get a bonus in that if you desire to go lower some time in the future, then all you need is another 80" length to add a third layer to the quilt.

Also, it will function as good as any top quilt you would pay hundreds of dollars for and could become your permanent top quilt

You can get fancy in the future and add an outer shell of ripstop, but the outer shell is decoration only and not really functionally needed.

BillyBob58
12-20-2010, 20:40
5° C is not too much of a stretch. A thick fleece or wool blanket combined with a healthy amount of clothing warn could probably get you there. I'm not sure which retailers are available in Australia, but I'm pretty sure shipping and tariffs might eat up most of your $30.................

OOPS! I missed the Australia part! Yep, shipping would probably cost more than the bag. So have to go to plan B.

Wags
12-22-2010, 00:10
If DIY is an option I would suggest buying 5 yards of Insultex and cutting 2 80" lengths or cut to 160" and fold. Sew the edges together to form a double layer top quilt.

That'll give you an 80" x 62" top quilt. More than enough in length and width to even use on the ground if you have to. Wrap the sides around you to seal. You could could add a channel on one end for cord with 2 cord locks - one on each end of thecord. If you fold the 160" to get the 80" length, then sewing the channel is trivial on that end. Pull the cord and snug it tight using the cord locks to form a foot box.

Nothing fancy, but it'll will work.

Don't know the exact price of Insultex by the yard, but $30 should be close to the price of 5 yards with shipping.

You also get a bonus in that if you desire to go lower some time in the future, then all you need is another 80" length to add a third layer to the quilt.

Also, it will function as good as any top quilt you would pay hundreds of dollars for and could become your permanent top quilt

You can get fancy in the future and add an outer shell of ripstop, but the outer shell is decoration only and not really functionally needed.

i think this is good advise for someone in your situation. if you can't find insultex, try to find some synthetic insulation online that delivers to your area on the cheap...

pig.slayer
12-22-2010, 02:17
Hi JCK

Not sure if it would get you to 5 C but I've used a Big W polar fleece throw down to about 12 C without any trouble. (with a summer UQ)
Especialy as you will have a nice 3 Season crowsnest UQ (mmm wonder where you got that from)
I have done this in a pinch last month. I just cable tied the base of the blanket together in a bunch and used two large bobby pins to make a sort of foot box.
Like I said, fine for reasonable temps.
I find that you get a lot of warmth from the 3 S UQ and if you layed your clothing right you would probably get a system like this down close to 5 C. I get cold from the bottom in a hammock anyway, so your covered there.
Also the polar fleece Big W throw's are not all that heavy and roll op into an okay sized package. I think the one we have is maybe 5'-6' high and about 4' wide. Only weigh's about 500g off memory.

Pretty cheap too but might be hard to find this time of year in OZ.

Try the cheap shops etc.

Goodluck, might get you out of trouble until April next year in most area's. Then you'll have saved up for a good TQ.

JCK
12-22-2010, 04:32
Quick update, I looked at a few military surplus stores, the poncho/quilt liners that they had were either in really bad condition or too expensive (one place wanted 80 bucks), but there is one more place near me that might have one for the right price.

Big W fleece - thats a good suggestion. The local op shop was shut today, but I'm sure they'll have something that I can use, they normally have lots of decent quality stuff alot cheaper than its worth.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Also got a question - Would I be able to use a space blanket? I saw another member here use one, and I'd imagine if I set it up right, condenstation wouldn't be too much of an issue.

PoundTown
01-09-2011, 23:49
I had the same problem when I first started camping. I would sleep fine for a few hours and the early morning hours I would wake up to "drafty" conditions.

I bought and older style sleeping pad which did the trick. I found an old "egg crate" foam pad that had an dense foam bottom. It weighs less than a thermarest and and twice as warm when I sleep in my hammock. It protects from the wind and drafts while the eggcrate foam forms to my body and holds to my sleeping bag to prevent it from slipping out from under my body during the night. These pads can be purchased for less than $20 bucks.

Recently, I went to badin lake, NC and the temps were in the teens at night. I slept in my Marmot Never Summer 0degree bag and did not wake up once. There were 20mph winds and there was freezing rain all night.

Bradley
01-10-2011, 00:49
I haven't seen anyone suggest a thrift store, second hand civy clothing store.
might score an awesome find there . . . :D

Rikall
01-10-2011, 03:06
Hey JCK, I have a mate who is a sales rep for Black Wolf camping equipment. He has a garage load of stuff that he needs to get rid of so I will ask him on your behalf if he has a down sleeping bag he is prepared to sell within your budget.