PDA

View Full Version : Trek light bug netting

Indy
12-22-2010, 12:00
Hey guys !

Kind of looking at this one ..I got a 15% off coupon but I'm wondering if I should get it or not ....From the specs they say its about 10 ft long and have lots of space on the bottom .What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance !:thumbup:

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=219

fishike
12-22-2010, 12:31
If you have a coupon and you're not gonna get a new hammock then I'd say go ahead. I'm just not a big fan of the white.

Also if you are going to be in a buggy area then of course this is a good thing to get. If you camp in areas with no bugs, then you probably don't need it.

fishike
12-22-2010, 12:32
I don't know if that helped or made the decision harder.

Cannibal
12-22-2010, 12:33
I have one, can't say I'm thrilled with it. :(

It is basically a netting tube with cinch cords at the ends. There is a steep learning curve to getting in and out while keeping it well sealed. It's also fairly heavy if memory serves. The light colored netting also does a magnificent job of obscuring one's view from inside. I didn't give the net much of my time, so it might get better with use. For a hiking net, no way! Then again, Trek Light's line-up is generally more suited/geared towards campers, not hikers.

I'm a fan of Trek Light and I think Seth is a pretty top-notch fella, but on the bug-netting, IMO, it was a swing and a miss.

eflat7
12-22-2010, 12:41
I like discounts. If you don't have one already and aren't going to DIY, I would go for it. I haven't used it, but I do know that white is supposed to repel mosquitoes. Unless you DIY, there isnt a whole lot cheaper choices out there.

fishike
12-22-2010, 12:42

It is basically a netting tube with cinch cords at the ends. There is a steep learning curve to getting in and out while keeping it well sealed. It's also fairly heavy if memory serves. The light colored netting also does a magnificent job of obscuring one's view from inside. I didn't give the net much of my time, so it might get better with use. For a hiking net, no way! Then again, Trek Light's line-up is generally more suited/geared towards campers, not hikers.

I'm a fan of Trek Light and I think Seth is a pretty top-notch fella, but on the bug-netting, IMO, it was a swing and a miss.

:thumbup1: You said what I wasn't going to. But agreed on all points.

What I ended up doing is ordering bugnetting fabric and I sewed onto my trek light a bug net. I notice you did a DIY hammock. If you feel confident about it then maybe you want to try the same. You can find fabric online that's 160 inches wide so you can run it with no seams.

Indy
12-22-2010, 13:22

Thanks for that....I am going to hike ...and I do have a dyi hammock I would make my own but I think with shipping would cost me just as much ...do you have any recommendations?

Thanks gain!!;)

Indy
12-22-2010, 13:24
:thumbup1: You said what I wasn't going to. But agreed on all points.

What I ended up doing is ordering bugnetting fabric and I sewed onto my trek light a bug net. I notice you did a DIY hammock. If you feel confident about it then maybe you want to try the same. You can find fabric online that's 160 inches wide so you can run it with no seams.

Thanks Red no worries this is a whole new thing for me ...Just because its a deal doesn't mean its great :)

Cannibal
12-22-2010, 13:31
do you have any recommendations?
My biggest complaint about it is the manner in which it closes/opens. I simply don't like it and I feel like a mentally handicapped Yoga instructor trying to get it to work. If you've got the skills, a zippered entry/exit would be much more convenient. The low visibility is going to be something you just have to deal with; it isn't as terrible as I made it sound. ;) The weight, well it just makes you stronger!

It does a fine job of keeping the bugs out. A few tweaks and it would be at least functional and at a very good price.
Off the shelf, I'd save pennies for another option. Particularly as a hiker!

Indy
12-22-2010, 13:59
My biggest complaint about it is the manner in which it closes/opens. I simply don't like it and I feel like a mentally handicapped Yoga instructor trying to get it to work. If you've got the skills, a zippered entry/exit would be much more convenient. The low visibility is going to be something you just have to deal with; it isn't as terrible as I made it sound. ;) The weight, well it just makes you stronger!

It does a fine job of keeping the bugs out. A few tweaks and it would be at least functional and at a very good price.
Off the shelf, I'd save pennies for another option. Particularly as a hiker!

Thanks I was also looking at the eno bug net as well ....Looks a bit better ...I don't want to spend to much money but I don't like yoga either LOL so having said that I might move on .I might get this instead .

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html

Law Dawg (ret)
12-22-2010, 14:24
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html

Looks to be high maintenance...the hammock and netting ain't bad either. :cool:

Why not consider a WB Bug Net?

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

fishike
12-22-2010, 14:27
One I'd prefer over this would be the Warbonnet Bug Net. Simply due to the location of the zipper. Seems easy to reach, no reaching below you while in the hammock. I've never tried this one, someone else would have to attest to it's ease of use. But it might be out of your price range.

Cannibal
12-22-2010, 14:52
Gotta agree with the others, Warbonnet makes the best, IMO, bug net out there. Very easy to get in and out of and lighter than anything else that I know about.

Indy
12-22-2010, 19:35
Seems like WB is the way to go ....I would love to get one but it would cost me over 100smackers with the shipping ..I wish I could justify the price but the Wife would KILL ME . (;

Cannibal
12-22-2010, 20:14
Can't have you getting killed!

Like I said, practice may go a long way with getting in and out. I've got a gnat sized attention span, so I didn't give it much time. A zipper install would fix it if it failed to get easier. If it's what can be afforded, it's what will work. Still keeps the bugs out, which is the important bit. :cool:

myles to go
12-22-2010, 20:47
maybe you could place a "want to buy" add for the WB or ENO and see what comes up . I'v seen them both sell before here for 30 to 40 bucks . You got some time before bug season:)

Indy
12-22-2010, 22:11
maybe you could place a "want to buy" add for the WB or ENO and see what comes up . I'v seen them both sell before here for 30 to 40 bucks . You got some time before bug season:)

That's true ..I just want to be gear ready I am probably going to do the Dobson trail up to blackwood lake ..are camp is about 5km from there so I'm already pumped up! :woot:

Indy
12-23-2010, 16:59
Thanks everyone I ended up getting a good deal on a eno :)

Mustardman
12-23-2010, 17:23
One thing I liked about the eno is how far it hangs down. I've seen guys using the eno bug net letting hang down low enough to touch the ground (with the hammock slung appropriately low too, obviously. In that setup, they were able to set a pack on the ground, inside the bug net, to keep at least some critters out of the pack. Boots inside the bug netting would be pretty nice, too - spiders in between your toes in the morning aren't fun. :scared:

myles to go
12-23-2010, 18:20
I'v used my ENO net with great success. It is a well made piece of gear even if it is heavier than some . I have clipped the stuff sack off and the little ridgeline clips and instead I use the sewn in ridgeline that it has to suspend it (there is a picture in my album showing how I tension it)

Indy
12-23-2010, 20:59
I'v used my ENO net with great success. It is a well made piece of gear even if it is heavier than some . I have clipped the stuff sack off and the little ridgeline clips and instead I use the sewn in ridgeline that it has to suspend it (there is a picture in my album showing how I tension it)

Ya I'm super excited ! I cant wait to try it out ...Wont be hard this summer as you know the mosquitoes are like little airplane vampire thingy's:laugh: So this is a necessity around here.

I'm for sure checking out your pics Myles ;)