PDA

View Full Version : Any 15x12 MacCat Photos Out There?

Moxie
12-23-2010, 09:06
Looking for photos of the 15x12 MacCat out there in the elements. Does anyone have one that has taken photos with hammocks set up under it? Been scoping this tarp out for a bit to set up for my GF and I. Tired of the overlapping tarps to get the configuration we want. So if any owners of this trap have pics, please post away or place a link where we can view them. Thanks guys!!!

I have seen the ones already posted here (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-tarps.html) at Brian's site.

cataraftgirl
12-23-2010, 20:50
I just received my 12 X 15 Cat cut tarp from Brian today. Not sure when I might get it set up, but I'll take pics when I do. I did find some pics on a post by cowtown carlton. Search under the post title Weather Shelter For Group.
I wanted a light weight tarp to use on river trips over our kitchen/group area when we have a small group (2-4 people). I had been using a 12 X 12 Kelty Noah that was just a wee bit small. The 12X15 should be a great size for a couple hammocks. I'm thinking this tarp may be good if I get into winter hammock camping at some point.
KJ

cataraftgirl
12-25-2010, 14:08
I did a quick set-up of the new 12X15 OES tarp in the backyard today. Not the most professional set-up job, but it was wet & messy and I wanted to be quick. Tarp looks good. Lots of extra tie out points along all the edges. Really a nice piece of craftsmanship. Thanks Brian.
KJ

Moxie
12-28-2010, 10:22
That is huge...with the comparison with your dog near it...so many tie outs!!!...don't know if I can commit myself to carrying 18 stakes...thanks for the pics...appreciate it...I just got my 3 season incubator...so **** nicely made...my crowsnest needed a friend...so now both my gf and I can stay warm...cheers!!!

cataraftgirl
12-28-2010, 16:56
That is huge...with the comparison with your dog near it...so many tie outs!!!...don't know if I can commit myself to carrying 18 stakes...thanks for the pics...appreciate it...I just got my 3 season incubator...so **** nicely made...my crowsnest needed a friend...so now both my gf and I can stay warm...cheers!!!

I don't think I'll carry 18 stakes either, but I'm carrying the tarp on a raft, not in a backpack. I got this tarp to replace a 12x12 Kelty that was used as our rivercamp/river kitchen tarp for when we have a group of 2-4 people. With the kitchen, tables, chairs, four humans, and a dog, the Kelty was getting a bit tight on space. Plus we could never get that Kelty Noah taut, not matter what we did. Seems the Kelty lends itself more to being pitched in a diamond or A-frame confirguration. This tarp looks like it will work out great. Lots of options for tie-outs. I'm thinking it might be a good winter tarp as well, with the ends pulled down as doors????
My 3 Season Incubator & Burrow are winging their way to me as we speak. Yipee!!!!!!
KJ

cliff355
01-05-2011, 15:07
Here's some. Pics taken in the BWCA this Sept. It was a wet trip and the tarp did a good job.

cataraftgirl
01-05-2011, 20:44
Here's some. Pics taken in the BWCA this Sept. It was a wet trip and the tarp did a good job.

Thanks for those pics with the end "doors" closed. I've been wondering if this might make a decent winter tarp. I figured I could close up the ends, but had never seen any pictures showing it. Also glad to hear that it did a good job for you in wet weather. I can't wait for spring to give this baby a test on the river. I think we're going to like it. Our larger MSR tarp weighs over 10 pounds. I better keep a close eye on this tarp or it might "accidentally" go home with my river buddy.
KJ

cliff355
01-07-2011, 10:32
In the winter you could close the ends up completely and still have more room inside than you needed. A tarp this size is probably overkill for some, but I like alot of manuvering space and this thing pretty much turns a campsite into an open-air hotel room.

Also, rain storms don't get any worse in Minnesota than the ones we had on this trip. The boat on shore filled all the way up to the gunwales one night. The only problem I had was a 1" section of seam that leaked a bit when the tarp was under tension. So, I am going to set it up tight this spring and re-seal even though the leak wasn't bad.