PDA

View Full Version : Top Quilt for hammock and Ground

packeagle
12-23-2010, 23:19
I'm 6' even 250lbs and I split my backpacking between my Hennessy for solo trips and my Tarptent for trips with the female hiking companion. What i am looking for is a sleeping bag / top quilt that will work for me on the ground and in the hammock. I know that most quilts will work in the hammock but I am specifically looking for a wide TQ for dual use. I want something three season. Warbonnet Wide Mamba 3 season is the only one i can find. I want got get a 3 season Phoenix eventually and a matching set would be nice does Hammock Gear make custom orders? I guess I just want suggestions on a good WIDE 3 season TQ. Thanks you guys are great.

packeagle
12-24-2010, 04:14
Looks like enLIGHTened Equipment makes a rather pricey TQ along with Nunatak.

Serious contenders are the JRB Sierra Sniveller, the Warbonnet Mamba, and possibly the Owyhee depending on its width as I cant find it on his site.

gargoyle
12-24-2010, 04:32
Going to the ground, your likely to have a pad and a ground cloth.
So most of the topquilts will work. They may be a little tricky, limiting how much rolling and turning you do at night. As you roll around, the quilt may expose some drafts, then you need to readjust to seal the open edges back down to the pad.

A regular sleeping bag can be used as a topquilt in the hammock and will perform as normal on the ground.

R3l@x
12-24-2010, 05:46
I prefer a wider quilt also and have the sierra sniveller with the full length omni-tape option. This allows me to put omni-tape on my sleep pad and connect the quilt to the pad when I do use a t#$t (censored):lol: They also offer quilt wings which I'm looking at right now.

The only other one I've found is the mamba, I'm emailing with Brandon right now on a winter long/wide version.

BreckDown
12-24-2010, 07:25
Look at the JRB line; the Sierra Sniveller (High Sierra Sniveller for winter). This line is wider at the shoulders than the rest of their line and meant for ground use. I'm 6'2" and I'm down to 220lbs (about a size 46-48 jacket) and this quilt proved plenty of room. I was worried about a narrow quilt and feeling pinned down. I'm also a side sleeper too. At one point in the night I had to get up and I actually go beck under the quilt with e Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket on (it was 7* and I wasn't taking off my jacket until I was under my quilt) and fit just fine....this jacket is puffy too.

I've only had my JRB HSS out once so I can't give you any longterm feedback but I am satisfied so far. I would say that their temperature rating is true to their statements. The only time I got cold was when I got up and left my bag.

BreckDown
12-24-2010, 07:27
Oh and if you want any pics or have any questions about details of how the quilt works, let me know and I'll try to get you whatever you need. I'm close to your body size so I may be able to clear up any questions.

Sorry for the double post.

MAD777
12-24-2010, 10:11
The only difference between a "hammock" quilt and a "ground" quilt is it's width.
The quilt on the ground has to cover you from the ground to your left to the ground to your right, plus something on each side to tuck in. Also, remember, if you sleep on an inflated mattress, that will lift you up off the ground and required a still wider quilt.

The situation is different in a hammock where the sides (and under quilt) of the hammock wrap up around you, sort of meeting the top quilt part way. Therefore, a true gram weenie will take advantage of this and use narrower quilts, but be at a disadvantage going to ground.

Since, you want a multipurpose quilt, simply size what you need for ground, and it will work in the hammock.

Since, everyone is built differently, lay under a blanket on the floor with whatever pad you will use. Make sure one edge of the blanket is just touching the floor on one side and have someone else place pins in the blanket on the other side where it touches the floor. Remember to lay the same way you sleep, on your side, back, fetal, etc.

Then don't forget to add to that width, something to tuck in under you or under the pad, depending on your preference. Again, true gram weenies would make the "wings" to tuck in out of a single layer of nylon.

As explained well earlier, Jacks-R-Better illustrates this principle in the different quilts they offer.

Mustardman
12-24-2010, 10:31
I have a GoLite 3-season ultralight quilt and I really like it. I haven't used it on the ground yet (thankfully), but it's pretty nice in the hammock. It was designed to be used on the ground so I see no reason to think it wouldn't work there. Picked mine up for a song at the seasonal GoLite factory store - wholesale prices, baby!

Trooper
12-24-2010, 10:36
I have a Hammock Gear Burrow and just received the JRB No Sniveller. I think either would work fine on the ground, and I often sleep in front of the TV using these. The three-season Burrow is warmer, but the JRB No Sniveller is more versatile as it can be a UQ, TQ, or as a garment.

I know some folks have extra-wide Burrows, so Adam was doing custom orders.

ringtail-THFKAfood
12-24-2010, 10:47
They have a 52" wide quilt.

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/

MAD777
12-24-2010, 10:48
I have a GoLite 3-season ultralight quilt and I really like it. I haven't used it on the ground yet (thankfully), but it's pretty nice in the hammock. It was designed to be used on the ground so I see no reason to think it wouldn't work there. Picked mine up for a song at the seasonal GoLite factory store - wholesale prices, baby!

What song did you have to sing? :lol::lol::lol:

Mustardman
12-24-2010, 11:00
What song did you have to sing? :lol::lol::lol:

"I'm a little teapot" :crying:crying:crying :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Wags
12-24-2010, 11:05
i hammock with a golite ultra 20 as well. it is definitely a nice wide quilt. it would work fine for you when ground sleeping... they go on sale down into the $150's from time to time, so that's about 1/2 the cost of other quilts you are looking at. if that matters

joggerjohn
12-24-2010, 11:26
The Kattahdin or Mount Rogers underquilts from Jack R Better are pretty big. They are made for hammock and ground usage.

lori
12-24-2010, 11:48
There is no difference between a hammock quilt and one you use on the ground.

I use a regular JRB on the ground. The trick for me was to find a pad that made me comfortable enough that I stopped thrashing in my sleep. I can sleep an hour or two before waking up now that I use a NeoAir that puts sufficient air space between me and the ground. On a regular self inflating pad I get maybe fifteen minutes at a time before I kick or roll in my sleep, slide off, get cold and wake up.

My usual night temps are right around freezing, sometimes a little lower. In warm temps (50-60) I use the same quilt with the sides open wide, like a blanket. Works great.

JRB has a line of large (two person, or one large person) quilts as well as the regular/long sizes. For me, a larger JRB with full length omni tape would be a sleeping bag...

Roadtorque
12-24-2010, 12:19
I have been thinking about how nice it would be if one of the cottage guys made some quilt wings that would turn a hammock tq into a wider ground tq

packeagle
12-24-2010, 21:40
Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't want to use wings. Most quilts are about 48" Wide. This doesn't seem to be the wide enough and I would prefer something close to the 55" wide quilts.

I just want a wide quilt. Breck I am also a 46 jacket so your size probably very close to mine. If it wouldn't be much trouble I would like to see the coverage. Possibly with a side sleeping position.

BreckDown
12-24-2010, 22:16
I'll have pics for you by lunch tomorrow. Sorry I'm a little busy tonight and I have to get my son through the Christmas morning fun.

packeagle
12-24-2010, 22:21
Oh no problem I'm not in any rush. Its Christmas after all. I probably won't be ordering for a while just want to have something tangible to save up for. Just acquired enough for my ULA Catalyst.

Take-a-knee
12-24-2010, 23:29
JRB Sierra Sniveler for you and let the wench carry her own sleeping gear.

packeagle
12-24-2010, 23:58
That is the idea. Although I take offense to the term wench.

lazy river road
12-25-2010, 00:42
I want got get a 3 season Phoenix eventually and a matching set would be nice does Hammock Gear make custom orders?

The Jacks have a family wide quilt The Mt. Rogers and The Katahdin. THose things look like their a beast.

And I consider all my quilts from Hammock Gear custom. Both my winter and summer set Adam helped me create a quilt to fit my needs. For the 3S incubator and 3S Phonix I'm waiting for I liked the specs he had on his site so I dident need any changes. After ordering my first two sets I finally understood what all that stuff meant so It made ordering so much easier. But any ways. SO I cant promise but I'm sure if you PM, Email or Call him (all this information you can find on his site) he's a really nice guy and could probably help ya out.

Their is also always the DIY route.

pig.slayer
12-25-2010, 01:05
I ordered a quilt just like your after from hammock gear.

3 season burrow, 6 inches extra width, 2 extra snaps on the foot box so I can close it up a bit higher and a few loops on each side so I can wrap it / bungie strap it around a ground mat.

Haven't got it yet but from what measuring I did the extra width should be enough for me on the ground.

Just email them or a PM, I know they would be able to help you out for sure.

Good luck

Take-a-knee
12-25-2010, 01:10
That is the idea. Although I take offense to the term wench.

Probably 'cause you ain't ever been married. I was bein' charitable. You should hear me when I'm pissed. After raising kids my wife of 27 years plans to take up hiking again. I just bought her a ULA Circuit and I'm shopping for a Rock Wren on ebay that she can shorten to fit her five foot frame. I will carry the tarptent, SHE will carry her own bedding. A woman too weak to carry state-of-the art 3-season sleeping gear is a liability, not an asset.

packeagle
12-25-2010, 09:07
Yeah, I never said I was going to carry her bedding. She gets half the shared equipment. With my base weight coming in at under 25 lbs with the same equipment we will use together for solo use. I think she can manage more than just her portion of the sleep equipment. I only mentioned her in reference to my need for a gound setup as I figured this being a hammock forum I would get a lot of "ditch the tent, problem solved" type answers.

I think I will contact hammockgear at some point but I don't feel like I should take up his time until I'm ready to pull the trigger. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a price quote but I know hes busy.

Pak-Man
12-25-2010, 10:56
The bad attitude is getting old. Just saying.

Pak-Man
12-25-2010, 10:58
Yeah, I never said I was going to carry her bedding. She gets half the shared equipment. With my base weight coming in at under 25 lbs with the same equipment we will use together for solo use. I think she can manage more than just her portion of the sleep equipment. I only mentioned her in reference to my need for a gound setup as I figured this being a hammock forum I would get a lot of "ditch the tent, problem solved" type answers.

I think I will contact hammockgear at some point but I don't feel like I should take up his time until I'm ready to pull the trigger. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a price quote but I know hes busy.

Stormcrow makes a fine Top Quilt. He made my burrow wide on a special order and it more than covers my shoulders when on the ground.. Excellent gear. IMHO

Take-a-knee
12-25-2010, 11:07
I only mentioned her in reference to my need for a gound setup as I figured this being a hammock forum I would get a lot of "ditch the tent, problem solved" type answers.

Yeah, you probably will, but not from me. A tarptent for two is lighter than two complete hammock/tarp setups. My daughter LOVES her hyperlite/Macat setup. My wife doesn't like hammocks, so it'll be a tarptent/neoair setup when she and I hike together. When hiking with my daughter, it has occasionally been an issue to find TWO adjacent places to hang, especially in the summer on the AT once the undergrowth gets tall.

McSpartan
12-25-2010, 12:13
I asked the same question of Stormcrow, and yes, he offered to make a wider TQ for going to ground. I think he even adds more straps so that it can be tied for wrapping similar to a sleeping bag.

That said, the width of the new large, wide Mamba will do the same. That's the route I went as I wanted a permanent footbox without having to pay extra for wide + sewn foot box.

BreckDown
12-25-2010, 16:51
Packeagle, here are a few pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/stbreckenridge/JRBSierraSniveller#).

Let me know if you need any others to help you out.

packeagle
12-25-2010, 22:25
Breck thanks a lot. It was most helpful I now know I want something of that size. I'm between the Black Mamba and the Sierra Snivller and Custom Burrow if he'll do it i have contacted him and waiting for response.

BillyBob58
12-25-2010, 23:44
The Kattahdin or Mount Rogers underquilts from Jack R Better are pretty big. They are made for hammock and ground usage.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really don't want to use wings. Most quilts are about 48" Wide. This doesn't seem to be the wide enough and I would prefer something close to the 55" wide quilts.

I just want a wide quilt. Breck I am also a 46 jacket so your size probably very close to mine. If it wouldn't be much trouble I would like to see the coverage. Possibly with a side sleeping position.

The JRB Katahdin/Rogers are 61" wide. Boy, that ought to do it! If that is not enough, I guess the next step is a Pea Pod at 72" wide. :scared:

Trooper
12-25-2010, 23:51
Breck thanks a lot. It was most helpful I now know I want something of that size. I'm between the Black Mamba and the Sierra Snivller and Custom Burrow if he'll do it i have contacted him and waiting for response.

All good choices, but something to consider if this is your first quilt: I'd suggest the No Sniveller because it works well as a UQ or TQ.

I'm very satisfied with my Crowsnest/Burrow, and they fell softer and loft more than the No Sniveller, but they are more dedicated to their roles. A Phoenix or Incubator is a tremendous value when you consider the temperature ratings ad loft per dollar, and you'd already have a TQ.

I haven't tried a Black Mamba, so I can't comment on it.

BreckDown
12-26-2010, 05:22

One question you need to answer is what type of foot box do you want? Do you want one that is sewn closed or do you want one that cinches shut and can be opened for laying the quilt flat like a blanket?

The second one has bee mentioned. Would you even consider using this TQ as a UQ? I bought my quilt for ground sleeping. I wanted the UQ option for winter car camping when i felt like using a hammock. I have an Army sleeping bag system that I refuse to carry hiking but for care camping I'm up to using it and my quilt shifts to an UQ.

I guess another good question is, do you see the poncho option of the JRB SS as a must have?

After these 3 questions you should either be sold on the JRB or have it completely ruled out. I own or have seen products from all 3 vendors and I don't thin you could go wrong with choosing any of those companies. Just make sure you clearly define what your needs and expectations are of the product you are buying.

Wags
12-28-2010, 00:03
just get any of them and don't overthink it. any one of those 3 choices is goign to be an awesome piece of gear that you will love... /in a deep, deep, deep voice "I guarantee it"

packeagle
12-28-2010, 04:39
I've decided on the custom 900 fill 3 season burrow. I once the funds roll in I'll be placing my order. BTW, customer service from hammock gear top notch!

Big Papi
12-28-2010, 11:50
I have spoke with Adam from hammock gear as I too am looking for a wide custom TQ and maybe UQ (I am a big boy). He has been great to work with. Looking forward to buying from him.

TNhitman
12-28-2010, 13:37
Probably 'cause you ain't ever been married. I was bein' charitable. You should hear me when I'm pissed. After raising kids my wife of 27 years plans to take up hiking again. I just bought her a ULA Circuit and I'm shopping for a Rock Wren on ebay that she can shorten to fit her five foot frame. I will carry the tarptent, SHE will carry her own bedding. A woman too weak to carry state-of-the art 3-season sleeping gear is a liability, not an asset.

So I guess when I take my kids and they cant care all there gear there a liability. Let me answer that for you NO. And I am married and I will carry ALL my wifes gear if that means I can enjoy a night out in the woods with my wife.

Sorry guys that just struck a nerve.

Mustardman
12-28-2010, 14:01
Sorry guys that just struck a nerve.

Wouldn't be the first time T-a-K has accomplished that particular task.... :lol:

Bradley
12-28-2010, 14:05
Probably 'cause you ain't ever been married.
I was bein' charitable.
You should hear me when I'm p***ed.
A woman too weak to carry state-of-the art 3-season sleeping gear is a liability, not an asset.
Personaly I think your words and attitude belong on a different forum . . . :huh:
My daughters like to look and read these forums and I let them because it is civil . . . mostly.
So I thought I would take this opportunity to let you know that I am about to block your posts, in the user CP.

I wish you well, and GOOD times with your wife and who ever else will be near you.

PS. If your wife becomes a libility . . . would you leave her for the gaters :confused:

PPS. Oh . . . Just so you understand;
that was a rhetorical question (means you don't need to answer)
as you are now blocked and I will not see any response.

AZMike
01-08-2011, 21:06
I'm 6' and 175lbs. The WB Black Mamba is just an awesome top quilt. I actually bought the long version.