PDA

View Full Version : Side Sleeping

rasputen
12-16-2007, 17:20
I was poking around over on WB and noticed several references to poor side sleeping in the Hennessy. The question is: Are you a side sleeper?And if so, do you sleep comfortably in your Hennessy?

I am a side sleeper and sleep like a hibernating bear in my Explorer UL and Deluxe!

FanaticFringer
12-16-2007, 17:34
I was one of those that posted over there. Could never get comfortable enough in my Hennessy or other hammocks. That's the reason I bought a bridge hammock. I'm definitely in the minority around here about that but I would bet there are plenty of folks who are side sleepers that have given up on hammocks.
Side torque and fetal curl is bothersome to many.

hangnout
12-16-2007, 17:56
I have to pull my knees up some to lay on my side in the HH. I just made a bridge and side sleeping is really comfortable with it. The longer the HH or DIY the easier it gets.

P.S. You could hang a bridge hammock over the the creek and fish while laying on your stomach:D

Just Jeff
12-16-2007, 20:06
I can sleep ok on my side in the HH...just can't stretch all the way out when I'm on my side. Not quite fetal, but close. Still, it's a comfy hammock. I like my DIY ones better, though.

Cuffs
12-16-2007, 21:41
Side sleeper here. I have not paid attention enough to know if I pull my knees up or not... but I do sleep comfortably!

rasputen
12-16-2007, 21:54
P.S. You could hang a bridge hammock over the the creek and fish while laying on your stomach:D

Hehe, Talk about a lazy man's way of fly fishing.:D I sure would feel vulnerable from above and any sound of banjo's!:eek:

Just Jeff....
I can sleep ok on my side in the HH...just can't stretch all the way out when I'm on my side. Not quite fetal, but close. Still, it's a comfy hammock. I like my DIY ones better, though.

So, what is it that makes a DIY hammock better for side sleeping? Overall length, width, combo of the two or other factors?

Just Jeff
12-16-2007, 22:01
Probably a combo. I've only used the HH BULA, which isn't the longest model. Then I started experimenting with the DIYs and found them more comfy. Plus I like the top entry most of the time, especially in winter since I don't need the bug net.

My first DIY was a two-layer and my second was polyester - I think the lesser stretch made it more comfy for me, too.

hangnout
12-16-2007, 22:10
I think the whipping style has something to do with it too. I had a DIY whipped HH style that I could not find a good side spot. I re-whipped it using a method WBG suggested putting a string thru the hem and pulling it up evenly and it is my best DIY side sleeper before I made the bridge. The hammock is 11' x 58" so I can get almost flat when I lay on the asym. The HH style whipping creates a high center line which supports the knees when on your back but hinders side sleeping to a degree.

rasputen
12-16-2007, 22:16
Just Jeff.. Probably a combo. I've only used the HH BULA, which isn't the longest model. Then I started experimenting with the DIYs and found them more comfy. Plus I like the top entry most of the time, especially in winter since I don't need the bug net.

Ya, I really like my no-net Deluxe. It's very comfy and I have decided to sew the entry slit together. I toss and turn like I'm in a dryer and get tired of kicking my feet through the velcro. For some reason it's not a problem in my Explorer,hummm?

rasputen
12-16-2007, 22:25
I think the whipping style has something to do with it too. I had a DIY whipped HH style that I could not find a good side spot. I re-whipped it using a method WBG suggested putting a string thru the hem and pulling it up evenly and it is my best DIY side sleeper before I made the bridge. The hammock is 11' x 58" so I can get almost flat when I lay on the asym. The HH style whipping creates a high center line which supports the knees when on your back but hinders side sleeping to a degree.

Interesting points not considered initially. Good stuff... I'm looking forward to my hammock degree! Ok, maybe not, that's probably when the fun ends.:D

Hooch
12-17-2007, 04:54
I'm also a side sleeper, but don't use a Hennessy. I'm an ENO user, sleeping in an ENO DoubleNest. I sleep great on my side in it with no problems whatsoever. The extra width of the DoubleNest is great, allowing me to lay nice and flat in an asym position on my side. Comfy! :D

headchange4u
12-17-2007, 09:36
I sleep more comfortably on my side in a Speer or HAAB style hammock than I do in my HH. It's easier to stretch out.

Hector
12-19-2007, 18:57
I sleep in all sorts of positions. No problems on back, side or even stomach. I find a pillow is unnecessary in a hammock, even though I can't sleep well without one in a bed.

Hector
12-19-2007, 18:59
Sound of banjos? Ha ha!

"You sure got a pretty hammock."

FanaticFringer
12-19-2007, 23:11
Sound of banjos? Ha ha!

"You sure got a pretty hammock."

:D :p :eek: :o ......

kohburn
12-21-2007, 08:11
I was poking around over on WB and noticed several references to poor side sleeping in the Hennessy. The question is: Are you a side sleeper?And if so, do you sleep comfortably in your Hennessy?

I am a side sleeper and sleep like a hibernating bear in my Explorer UL and Deluxe!

side sleeper here and last time i was in my Deluxe i slept for 11 hours on my sides.

Take-a-knee
12-21-2007, 08:41
I often sleep in between side and back sleeping, on a forty-five, you can't do that in anything but a hammock. I find my Hennessy quite comfortable, but I've not tried another hammock yet.

traviso71
12-21-2007, 09:13
For a DIY hammock & side sleeping, can someone describe or link to a fold/whipping method that will (hopefully) create a hammock that is good for side sleeping? I can pretty much ONLY sleep on my side.

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 09:23
I'm lucky I guess because I can sleep comfortably on my side in all of my hammocks, including my HH.

traviso71, based on some of the earlier comments you might try using a cinch method. It's just a hemmed channel at the ends of the hammock that you run the cord through and tie a knot; simple.

southmark
12-21-2007, 09:24
I'm a side sleeper, sleep fine, in fact so well I don't notice whether I'm stretched out or not. I just sleep.

traviso71
12-21-2007, 10:16
Cannibal,

With this method the ends are not whipped, just run thru the channel & tied off? Seems like that is putting a lot of faith in the stitching????

Cannibal
12-21-2007, 10:28
Yes, and there has been some discussion about that. If you look at a Trek Light/ENO/Bliss etc., they have three lines of stitching to 'protect' the channel. I've been sleeping full time in a Trek Light for several months now with no issues at all. I can see daylight in the stitching on my Traveller (same design) after only a couple of weeks; I don't trust it anymore for sleeping and I'm already thinking of things it can be 'cannibalized' for. :)

traviso71
12-21-2007, 10:45
I like that cinch design, but I am working with 1.9 nylon & am at the upper end of the spectrum (i feel) for the weight it will hold up. I would be afraid in relying on the channel & stitching NOT to tear out. I have sent two emails to Magna Fabrics & they have so far been unresponsive. The heavier weight supplex nylon (i think) would hold the stitch better, but everyone wants liek $7 a yard for it.

I guess I will just do some standard whipping & experiment with different techniques to figure out what works best for me. Thanks for the suggestion though Can!

NCPatrick
12-21-2007, 10:55
I have sent two emails to Magna Fabrics & they have so far been unresponsive.

I'm not getting a warm feeling about this company. How did you find them, and do they have a track record with anyone here?

traviso71
12-21-2007, 11:04
I found them when doin a search for supplex nylon.

NCPatrick
12-21-2007, 11:16
There's going to be a group buy (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=41443#post41443) of Olive drab 1.9 nylon ripstop with Magnafabrics... I was just wondering if you knew of anyone who ordered through them or anything. I'm not hearing about them being very responsive to customers.

Edit: So far. This could change.