PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt Choices

aboyd
12-27-2010, 20:36
I was lucky enough to receive some cash for Christmas and want to move forward with the purchase of an UQ. I believe I have narrowed it down to a Phoenix or a KAQ New River. I am trying to decide between 3/4 and full length and down vs. synthetic. I live in the south, so would likely not hang in temps below 25 degrees. I have experienced the occasional rain storm on some camping trips in the past, so I have a little concern with the down. I of course want to get the most warmth to weight ratio, so that points me at the Phoenix. I want to be able to start working towards getting my pack weight down. I am also 6'4", so want to be sure that the 3/4 will cover me adequately.

I have seen the KAQ and the Crowsnest/Phoenix and I am currently leaning towards the Phoenix. But before I pull the trigger, I want to get a few opinions....so bring 'em on, what are your thoughts?

lilricky
12-27-2010, 20:55
I would vote for Stormcrow's Phoenix. Mainly because of the care and quality he puts into his products. A buddy of mine has one, and he is in love with it. Perfect seams, fully lofting down, and toasty! Spent my hammocking budget on gifts this year, but am going to get an underquilt from Stormcrow soon.

te-wa
12-27-2010, 21:38
just out of curiosity, what UQ's have you been looking at?
Have you seen the Yeti, or the Mt. Washington?

mike

Dudorino
12-27-2010, 21:43
I prefer the synthetics to down. They scrunch down well and you don't have to worry about getting them wet.

Check out the UQs from Arrowhead. Paul makes excellent quilts and has fantastic customer service.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm

aboyd
12-27-2010, 21:49
just out of curiosity, what UQ's have you been looking at?
Have you seen the Yeti, or the Mt. Washington?

mike

I looked at the Mt. Washington, but I am trying to stay under $200.

1Poet
12-27-2010, 21:50
I am certainly no expert,:(but I was faced with the same decision. I also live in the South with the same temps and rain with humidity. Stormcrow makes a superior product and I hope to own one. But for me, I chose the AHE Potomac because it is good to thirty degrees (or lower with some tweeking) and it's full length, which I wanted. When it arrived, I was surprised at how light it was!:D
I tried it last night in 20* weather (Okla.) and was toasty with my MSS cold weather bag alone. Just my 2 cents. Both vendors are great. Hope this helps.:)

aboyd
12-27-2010, 21:52
I prefer the synthetics to down. They scrunch down well and you don't have to worry about getting them wet.

Check out the UQs from Arrowhead. Paul makes excellent quilts and has fantastic customer service.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm

I looked at the New River, and that is currently my synthetic of choice if I go with a synthetic full length, but was concerned with how well it would compress for packing.

Tbull55
12-27-2010, 23:31
I just recieved my KAQ new river this week and plan on trying it out tomorrow night. It is 20* outside right now with snow on the ground from three days ago, tomorrow night should put it to the test. By the way the quilt looks great, shipping was super fast, and customer service was AWESOME!

Tbull

aboyd
12-27-2010, 23:35
Well, I was on the fence, but decided on the New River for AHE. I would love the light weight of down, but feel a full length would be best for me, and could not swing the price on the full length down quilt just yet. I think synthetic will be best for me anyway down here in the rainy south.

Tbull, how fast did you receive it?

MuseJr
12-28-2010, 01:36
Well, I was on the fence, but decided on the New River for AHE. I would love the light weight of down, but feel a full length would be best for me, and could not swing the price on the full length down quilt just yet. I think synthetic will be best for me anyway down here in the rainy south.

Tbull, how fast did you receive it?

The New River is a nice UQ. It does not pack like down but it is a nice piece especially if you get cold feet. I received mine about 10 days after I placed the order. Enjoy your new UQ...

NCPatrick
12-28-2010, 07:27
I would love the light weight of down, but feel a full length would be best for me, and could not swing the price on the full length down quilt just yet.
That's one of the main benefits of making your own. You only pay for materials needed, and your labor is free (and fun). That was my reasoning, anyway. Congrats on finding one you like!

bigbamaguy
12-28-2010, 09:59
aboyd:
You will love the KAQ New River. I have several of them, use as a TQ and UQ, and they work great in the Sothern "winter" weather.

aboyd
12-28-2010, 11:25
aboyd:
You will love the KAQ New River. I have several of them, use as a TQ and UQ, and they work great in the Sothern "winter" weather.

I was on the fence and really thought I would like the light weight down, but I was afraid it would not give me the coverage I wanted to stay warm. Now to start saving for a TQ to replace my heavy and bulky sleeping bag.

eflat7
01-04-2011, 20:50
I was on the fence and really thought I would like the light weight down, but I was afraid it would not give me the coverage I wanted to stay warm. Now to start saving for a TQ to replace my heavy and bulky sleeping bag.

I have have the New River and a Winter Incubator. I just sold the Phoenix to get the Incubator. I tried the 3/4 UQ thing and hated it. I have to have a full length! I am also 6'3.

I haven't taken the Winter Incubator out yet, but let me just say one thing. I know people probably think Paul from AHE pays me, but let me tell you he doesn't, and I will still vouch the KAQ New River. I have used it at least 30 nights on the trail and it has never let me down. I have had it at 24 degrees and was perfectly warm (when used with a sock). I haven't had any issue with it, no probs with bungee cord, fasteners, etc.

I am so scared of being cold I wouldnt dare camp lower than 35 before I got the KAQ. Now i'm routinely in the 20's.

Paul is very responsive to emails, the price is very fair, and it ships very quickly.

I bought the incubator simply because I wanted down to match my bag/TQ. Don't get me wrong, hammockgear.com is great also, I just haven't dealt with them as much.

Good purchase. You wont be sorry.

AZMike
01-08-2011, 16:01
Down is the only way to go, IMO. I really like the quilts by Stormcrow. I have no problems with the stormcrow slipping out from underneath me in my Traveler. I have a 3/4 for summer and a full length for winter.

Dutch
01-08-2011, 16:14
Maybe Paul and Storm should have an arm wrestling match or a chili cook off. I think your only consideration is do you want down or synthetic because they are both great quilts. I own both the Phoenix and a KAQ and both work great. I only have room for down in my pack though.