PDA

View Full Version : Attaching whoopie sling?

ShadowAlpha
12-28-2010, 17:46
Is this a good way to attach a whoopie sling to the ENO?

I looped the none adjustable eye of the whoopie thru where the huge carabiner was then adjustable loop will connect to marlin spike on tree straps

thanks!

pgibson
12-28-2010, 17:52
Best way is to take the stock rope out of the channel of the hammock and pass the fixed loop though and loop it back on it self as you have there. The hammock is plenty strong for the whoopie alone in the channel.

rip waverly
12-28-2010, 17:53
you could ditch the stock black rope and just run the dead eye through the channel.

or, put a lighter weight biner (dutch biner) on the black rope and you can keep the suspension separate in case its wet or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYQMW9SHik

myles to go
12-28-2010, 18:32
I do exactly as you show in your picture. I didn't want to have to feed The whoppie thru the channel and the black rope also hooked directly to my wall hooks for indoor hanging. I also connect my ridgeline at this same point.

L.D. Cakes
12-28-2010, 18:44
Best way is to take the stock rope out of the channel of the hammock and pass the fixed loop though and loop it back on it self as you have there. The hammock is plenty strong for the whoopie alone in the channel.
That's how I did mine. It makes it much lighter and packable.

ShadowAlpha
12-28-2010, 19:00
Thank you thank you!!

Now to flip a coin.
What I did I figured was fine (its a gift)
yet , I thought about pulling out the black rope there & putting the whoopie thru the channel.

I'll do a test tmwr.
then I have to mail it for a late xmas gift! :o

SmokeBait
12-28-2010, 19:13
What you did will certainly work. All the others have said, my preferred way would be to run the whoopie sling right through the sewn end channel of the hammock and back through the fixed eye. Enjoy!

-FiveFiveSix-
12-29-2010, 17:18
I just did this yesterday. Iv been using ringbuckles and straps for a few months, however I got 50 feet of amsteel yesterday. My goal was was to replace the stock cord with some continuos loops of amesteel. Well long story short after finding out how easy it is to work with amsteel, made some slings and just fed them through the channel and back onto its self.. Both slings weigh less then one of the old cords and biner. Save time in feeding through the channel by using a coat hanger, bend a loop at the end, use some tape to pad the sharp edges push it through, hook the sling in the loop pull through..

SmokeBait
12-31-2010, 11:07
Good job there FiveFiveSix. Saved ya a bunch of weight and bulk. You can also just tie the stock cord onto the sling and pull the sling through as you pull the stock cord out.

-FiveFiveSix-
12-31-2010, 21:08
Good job there FiveFiveSix. Saved ya a bunch of weight and bulk. You can also just tie the stock cord onto the sling and pull the sling through as you pull the stock cord out.

Thats and even better idea, why didnt i think of this :confused: I think im going to try and splice a small continuos loop in the channel it self, leave just enough room for a biner, or a larkshead knot. This way Ill lever have to mess with it again, and no matter what suspenion I want to use, just attach the the loop..Its Kind of hard to explain with out pics, but basicly ill be building a continuos loop perminatly attached to the hammock. Im just worried about the burry, not sure what the minimun bury length should be on a loop, ill dig around for some info..

lyodom
12-31-2010, 22:46
I have a Grand Trunk Single that with channel, cord and biner. I removed the heavy cord and biner then whipped the ends to pull in some of the side floppiness. Put whoopies and ridge line....works well in the backyard, haven't had the opportunity to take it to the woods yet. weight=12.5 oz.