PDA

View Full Version : Nunatak 3/4 thru-hiker's bag

Just Jeff
11-20-2006, 17:15
Have you guys seen this?
http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Arc_AT.htm

It's a 3/4 bag that you use with an insulated jacket - they recommend their Skaha down sweaters. They call it the thru-hiker's dream...weighs only 8 oz for 40F!

Could also be useful in a hammock.

headchange4u
11-20-2006, 20:38
Nice concept and at 8oz in weight! Wow. If the temp range was better this great winter addition.

Just Jeff
11-20-2006, 20:51
I think they do custom jobs - I'm sure they'd make the same design thicker if you wanted to pay for it. All of their stuff is pretty spendy, though.

Johnny Swank
11-22-2006, 13:13
The concept is fine and everything, but I'd hate to HAVE to sleep in a down jacket every night on the AT. I prefer to keep my sleeping gear and outer clothes seperate for the most part. That's not to say that I don't sleep in my jackets and stuff to stretch out the lower range, but it worse comes to worse, I know my sleeping bag is going to be dry, whereas I can't 100% guarantee my jacket will be.

Granted, I almost always just use my jacket as a pillow, and my down gear hasn't been wet in 15 years, but you never know. Now that I'm slowly converting to the hammock thing, I might start ditching the jacket in favor of draping my underquilt over me or sewing a "head hole" slit ala a No Snivller.

If I thru-hiked again, I'd consider going that route, pairing that with my Marmot DriCime shirt. The DriClime's a little heavier than a windshirt/undershirt combination, but it's probably my most-used piece of gear overall.

Cannibal
12-14-2007, 09:04
Anybody ever try this thing? It looks kind of interesting, but a year later I haven't heard anything about it.

Just Jeff
12-15-2007, 07:45
Hrm...I haven't seen any comments on it either. Looks like a great kid's quilt, though. Maybe someone could buy it for their kids and give it a try themselves!

Fiddleback
12-15-2007, 13:00
My understanding is this concept came from the mountain climbing community. I've seen such 'bags' referred to as an "elephant foot."

One I decided I wanted a quilt I eventually went with Nunatak's Arc Alpinist and I agree that their goodies are pricey -- but the quality is superb! The Alpinist was one of the best presents I ever bought myself.:)

I use the quilt for those warm summer nights (40+) when I'm not sleeping in my parka...

FB

kohburn
12-19-2007, 15:17
40+ is a warm summer night? thats late fall temps for me

Perkolady
12-19-2007, 18:33
Gee, for me at 5ft tall, this would be about like a regular quilt, lol.
Might be worth looking into for warmer weather at that weight!

Perkolady

scoutdad
02-14-2008, 15:28
This is indeed a concept growing out of the climbing group. I have a very good friend who has had a custom made bag like this for years which he uses when on climbs together with his insulated parka.

Drop
02-14-2008, 16:09
Heres a version of a Pied d'Elefant bag on sale in the UK
http://alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16329&category_id=253
More weight (460g) but rated below freezing (-3C 26/27F?). Note that the fill is on the EU scale which makes this closer to a 900 (I believe).
It appears that the actual insulated section might be shorter than the Nunatak bag but it does envelop 360deg, it also has a zip at the base of the footbox.
Priced at £65 ($128) which includes postage within the UK.
No connection with Alpkit myself other than having bought some nice stuff from them before.

slowhike
02-14-2008, 19:01
hey Drop, i like that. that's taking the idea to much better level, having an uninsulated, sleeveless smock top attached.
that would enclose the person w/ their insulated jacket in a draft free environment.
i like it!!!

Take-a-knee
02-14-2008, 23:05
There was a Nunatak quilt on WB today.

Oms
02-17-2008, 20:36
Here is one for sale on Backpacking Light http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/11959/index.html