PDA

View Full Version : Switchback Light Hiker fans

MrTiles
01-05-2011, 14:17
who all has one? Real close to pulling the trigger. Not a lot of reviews out there. Looking for people's long term reviews and such. Pics in use would be nice too.

MrTiles
01-10-2011, 22:46
Ordered a light hiker today. Hopefully will have it in the next week or so. Full review and pics coming. I've researched this pretty intensely and I'm looking forward to taking delivery of this core piece of gear.

pizza
01-10-2011, 22:54
Congrats, that hammock looks full of win!;)

Scottybdiving
01-11-2011, 07:16
Can't speak for the light hiker but love the Switchback. Looking forward to your review.

millarky
01-11-2011, 09:33
Can't speak for the light hiker but love the Switchback. Looking forward to your review.

Agreed. Love the Switchback. A+ craftsmanship.

MrTiles
01-19-2011, 15:39
hammock should be shipping today. suspense is building. trying to find a mock/faux hang in the house so I can bust out some pictorials. I'm eventually going to build a hammock stand...

MrTiles
01-21-2011, 11:34
Took delivery today. Some teaser shots. I won't get to really mess with it till this evening. This whole weekend is crazy with a mtb trip to hills and such so I won't have more pics until Sunday or so. So far, I'm ecstatic!

Always a good day when you get a box from TTTgear!
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MR_TILES/Hike-Camp-get%20yer%20boots%20on/IMG_0540.jpg

Glad I didn't cut too deep in the box!
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MR_TILES/Hike-Camp-get%20yer%20boots%20on/IMG_0544.jpg

Wrapped up in a nice silnylon stuff sack
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MR_TILES/Hike-Camp-get%20yer%20boots%20on/IMG_0545.jpg

All you need is included, ready to hang!
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MR_TILES/Hike-Camp-get%20yer%20boots%20on/IMG_0546.jpg

MrTiles
01-21-2011, 18:48
31.45 ounces packed with tree straps, stuff sack, and whoopies. NICE!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x90/MR_TILES/Hike-Camp-get%20yer%20boots%20on/IMG_0548.jpg

MrTiles
01-21-2011, 23:03
I messed around this evening and swapped out the stock tree straps with some AHE ones which are slightly narrower and got the overall weight to 29.1 oz. After looking over this hammock a bit, it's built like a tank. Construction and attention to detail are amazing. Can't wait to get out in the NC woods with it. Kudos to Dale and Co.!

Shug
01-21-2011, 23:22
Yeah man!!! You sound happy....
Shug

MrTiles
01-22-2011, 19:25
uhhh, yeah. WAY happy. NEED TO HANG!

btw, shugster, was in your old stompin' grounds ALL day today...Good ol' Wilson Creek area. Tons o' fun!

Darby
01-23-2011, 19:47
uhhh, yeah. WAY happy. NEED TO HANG!

Happy Hanging ! Let me know what you think once you get some time in it.

Cheers, Dale

MrTiles
01-24-2011, 10:50
Roger that Dale, thanks buddy!

pizza
01-24-2011, 11:15
I watched MacEntyre's videos on this hammock and am wondering if you need drip strings attached to the shock cords that hold up the bug net since they extend out beyond tarp coverage? I'm really tempted to order one of these. Looks like a great hammock.

Darby
01-24-2011, 11:31
I watched MacEntyre's videos on this hammock and am wondering if you need drip strings attached to the shock cords that hold up the bug net since they extend out beyond tarp coverage? I'm really tempted to order one of these. Looks like a great hammock.
Hey Pizza,

I have never had a problem with rain water seeping down the shock cord. I actually hook my SC to the tarp ridge line right at the tarp. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dale

pizza
01-24-2011, 12:24
Hey Pizza,

I have never had a problem with rain water seeping down the shock cord. I actually hook my SC to the tarp ridge line right at the tarp. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dale

Thanks Dale, hooking to the tarp ridgeline seems like a good idea. I'm thinking of getting one of these for a summer hammock. Seems like it would breathe really well since the bugnet goes down to the edge of the hammock.

millarky
01-24-2011, 13:00
Thanks Dale, hooking to the tarp ridgeline seems like a good idea. I'm thinking of getting one of these for a summer hammock. Seems like it would breathe really well since the bugnet goes down to the edge of the hammock.

I've never had issue with water running down netting suspension either. I did however mod them. SC > adjustable length dyneema and I clip into hammock suspension right at the tree.

JaxHiker
01-26-2011, 10:04
At the recent FL hang last weekend sandykayak had hers. Several of us had never heard of it and were eager to try it out. The consensus was that it was more comfortable than the Hennessy and the Warbonnet. I was surprised with how flat the lay was and I like the spreader bars on the bug netting. It seemed very nice and I'm half tempted to buy one myself.

MAD777
01-26-2011, 11:54
I'll second that! As a side sleeper that tosses & turns, I found Sandykayaks' Switchback to be more comfortable than my WBBB.

However, hers was the Switchback 1.9DL not the Light Hiker.

pizza
01-26-2011, 12:20
The Light Hiker model is shorter length but the same width as the Original Switchback.

mountain_man_mike
01-26-2011, 12:57
Darby, I wasn't familiar with your products until seeing this post and they look like some really fine gear. Congrats and thanks for helping us hang!

Darby
01-27-2011, 14:31
Darby, I wasn't familiar with your products until seeing this post and they look like some really fine gear. Congrats and thanks for helping us hang!

You are quite welcome. Happy Hanging !

Cheers, Dale

MrTiles
02-12-2011, 14:08
One of these days I'll get around to hangin' in my lighthiker and give a decent review. B/w sick kids and a crazy schedule, I've yet to give a go. I have swapped out the stock whoopies for DG ones I just made today. Not a big weight savings, maybe 20 grams tops BUT the DG ones I made are long - 6 footers whereas the ones that came with the hammock are REALLY short in comparison, maybe 4' or less. I reckon I'll gain a smidgen of adjustability with the longer and lighter whoopies. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET THIS HAMMOCK BETWIXT TWO TREES!

MrTiles
07-05-2011, 07:44
wow, talk about a delay. I FINALLY got around to hangin' in the SBLH this weekend. All I can say is WOW! Slept great all night. Laid very flat. Woke up around 0830 and did NOT want to get out...I'm 6' tall so I was worried at first about the hammock length (before I purchased it back at the first of the year). Total non-issue. It's fantastic. Several people have stopped in at my shed and checked it out. Their reviews are nothing less than stellar. Nice work guys. Keep it up. I think I sold at least a couple more for you in my less-than-virtual showroom ;)

Bubba
07-05-2011, 07:59
I like mine. Well made piece of gear. Very comfy as well.