PDA

View Full Version : the neo hammock kayak challange

neo
12-23-2007, 18:34
i am looking for a few people that want to do the harpeth river with me this summer in june,it is a one week paddle averageing 10 to 12 paddling a day
i have paddled the harpeth in two 3.5 day trips,i want to do it in a one week trip.i know this river well,it is very scenic.this trip will be great i promise:cool: neo

neo
12-23-2007, 18:36
i am looking for a few people that want to do the harpeth river with me this summer in june,it is a one week paddle averageing 10 to 12 paddling a day
i have paddled the harpeth in two 3.5 day trips,i want to do it in a one week trip.i know this river well,it is very scenic.this trip will be great i promise:cool: neo

http://www.harpethriver.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpeth_River

neo
12-23-2007, 18:44

i left out paddleing hour 10 to 12 a day

Alan
12-23-2007, 21:51
I would love to do this and will be envious of those who go with you. I absolutely love to kayak and have just recently stumbled upon hammocking. I'd love to combine the two activities in a week long excursion down a river in beautiful Tennessee.

I will have to keep this in mind and see what I can do when June draws closer to us.

neo
12-23-2007, 21:58
I would love to do this and will be envious of those who go with you. I absolutely love to kayak and have just recently stumbled upon hammocking. I'd love to combine the two activities in a week long excursion down a river in beautiful Tennessee.

I will have to keep this in mind and see what I can do when June draws closer to us.

know this river well,less than a dozen places you can hammock and i know them all:cool: neo

neo
12-23-2007, 22:00

this will be a one of a kind adventure like this on hammock forums,extreme adventure for extreme hammockers:cool: neo

Cannibal
12-24-2007, 11:03
neo- you can come pick me up on the Trail and shuttle me to Tennesse. :D

Ewker
12-24-2007, 11:31
Neo, I might be able to do a day or so on the river. I can't do a week though. My vacation days are already taken up for next yr. I have week on the JMT and another week on the AT planned.

neo
12-24-2007, 12:03
Neo, I might be able to do a day or so on the river. I can't do a week though. My vacation days are already taken up for next yr. I have week on the JMT and another week on the AT planned.

thats cool eddie,i do shorter tripps every weekend from mid march to mid october:cool: neo

Ewker
12-24-2007, 12:08
thats cool eddie,i do shorter tripps every weekend from mid march to mid october:cool: neo

I do need to get out more in my kayak..hopefully I can join you on this and on Priest

neo
12-24-2007, 12:13
I do need to get out more in my kayak..hopefully I can join you on this and on Priest

:) island camping at priest is awesome,about 2 dozen islands total:cool: neo

BillyBob58
12-24-2007, 12:32
For any one who knows how to Kayak ( which is not me ), this sounds like a sweet trip!

neo
12-24-2007, 16:04
For any one who knows how to Kayak ( which is not me ), this sounds like a sweet trip!

:) its kick butt dude:cool: neo

Mule
12-24-2007, 17:11
I am interested in this too. Will see how it developes. Mule

neo
12-24-2007, 17:51
this trip is not for the faint hearted,but it is do able,i only know of one other person other than me that has done the entire length of the harpeth river:cool: neo

hangnout
12-24-2007, 18:24
this trip is not for the faint hearted,but it is do able,i only know of one other person other than me that has done the entire length of the harpeth river:cool: neo

Quote from article on the Harpeth River

you are eager to get the canoe out and get going you might try the Harpeth River just west of Nashville. It offers over 100 miles of floating pleasure. The route, which begins at the Narrows, is about five miles long, and has the advantage of put-in and take-out within easy (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6478/theme/1546/easy.html) walking distance of each other, which eliminates the need for a shuttle driver. The Harpeth is a Class I river, with a few Class II rapids tossed in. Along the river are a few U.S. and Native American (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6478/theme/1518/american.html) historical sites, as well as beautiful scenery. The river is usable all year long and is excellent for families, as well as novice and intermediate canoers.

Neo, I used to whitewater canoe as my main hobby. In fact that is one of the reasons I got my first hammock. It is easier to find a place to hang on the side of the river. River trips are much different than a hiking trip or hanging out in a campground. It is best to be very descriptive and detailed about what is going to take place. "Not for the faint hearted" probably needs to be detailed some more. Someone expecting some Class III-IV action could be dissappointed on this river :D while someone who had never seen a Class II may be scared. The Harpeth sounds like a great adventure due to the length of the trip and sounds like most people with some experience would be just fine.

Then again "not for the faint hearted" could be the NEO experience:D :D

slowhike
12-24-2007, 21:02

sounds like the mother of all hammock adventures:D
you may be setting a new bar for all other hammockers!!!

neo
12-24-2007, 23:33
Quote from article on the Harpeth River

Neo, I used to whitewater canoe as my main hobby. In fact that is one of the reasons I got my first hammock. It is easier to find a place to hang on the side of the river. River trips are much different than a hiking trip or hanging out in a campground. It is best to be very descriptive and detailed about what is going to take place. "Not for the faint hearted" probably needs to be detailed some more. Someone expecting some Class III-IV action could be dissappointed on this river :D while someone who had never seen a Class II may be scared. The Harpeth sounds like a great adventure due to the length of the trip and sounds like most people with some experience would be just fine.

Then again "not for the faint hearted" could be the NEO experience:D :D

its only class 1 with a little class 2 .but its about 120 miles long,my kayak is a dirigo 120,it carrys a load,i can a 50 qt 5 day cooler on the rear deck,i carry enough stuff for 4 days in that cooler,i can do some resupply on 2nd day franklin tn,and on the 4 th day in newsome station,or 5th day in pegram.
its a 7 day trip,its best done in late may or very early june,the river is still up good,and the weather still not very hot.:cool: neo

neo
12-24-2007, 23:35
its only class 1 with a little class 2 .but its about 120 miles long,my kayak is a dirigo 120,it carrys a load,i can a 50 qt 5 day cooler on the rear deck,i carry enough stuff for 4 days in that cooler,i can do some resupply on 2nd day franklin tn,and on the 4 th day in newsome station,or 5th day in pegram.
its a 7 day trip,its best done in late may or very early june,the river is still up good,and the weather still not very hot.:cool: neo

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/dirigo_120.html

Alan
12-25-2007, 21:26
My buddy has a Dirigo 120 and loves it. I just sold a Current Designs Solstice GTS HV in fiberglass. Also had a Necky Chatham 17 in poly. Nice boats. I had three at one time and now I'm down to just one: a Riot Enduro EXP 13' poly kayak. Love it! It's a great all-around kayak, very stable, has TONS of dry storage place, and I can really get it moving when I need to.

neo - I'm going to do my best to make this trip!

neo
12-26-2007, 10:48
:)
My buddy has a Dirigo 120 and loves it. I just sold a Current Designs Solstice GTS HV in fiberglass. Also had a Necky Chatham 17 in poly. Nice boats. I had three at one time and now I'm down to just one: a Riot Enduro EXP 13' poly kayak. Love it! It's a great all-around kayak, very stable, has TONS of dry storage place, and I can really get it moving when I need to.

neo - I'm going to do my best to make this trip!

thats great:) i hope you can make it:cool: neo

neo
12-27-2007, 20:01
any body ever wants to do some island hopping and hammock hanging on priest lake pm me.thats a lot of fun to:cool: neo