PDA

View Full Version : uq or hh super shelter

ridgewalker
01-08-2011, 19:34
I'm stuck between getting a hh super shelter or a under quilt.How warm will the super shelter go or will I be better off with the uq

bloomgorge
01-08-2011, 20:07
unless your HH has a mod done to the zipper I would go with the SS. i sleep fine down to 20 using the full set up and a good base layer of clothing. you have to optimize your set up to block wind, good tarp, etc. the HH is difficult entering through the bottom with an UQ. I found you put a lot of strain on the UQ suspension.
also the SS doesn't need any adjusting, it mates really well to the hennessy. with an UQ there is some adjusting needed and sliding up and down the suspension line, once in a HH with no bug net mod it's hard to adjust. this isn't a concern with the SS. you could also look at the JRB UQ's which has a center velcro and makes getting in a little easier.

this is my linke for the DIY UQ i made for my HH. read through as I made comments on how i would better improve it. any questions just PM me and i can walk you through it.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24994

G.L.P.
01-08-2011, 20:24
if you ask me i would go with the UQ
you can use it on any hammock....the SS you can only use on 1 hammock
that and the SS does not work for everyone there are some of us that had no luck with the SS ...and some ppl love it...so it's hit or miss

Knotty
01-09-2011, 01:30
Have both SS and down UQ's. Find that I use the UQs more frequently. Both systems work.

ChrisH
01-09-2011, 05:03
the SS you can only use on 1 hammock

That's not necessarily true, there is at least one person here using it on the WBBB. I forget who, though.

kobold
01-09-2011, 08:02
the ss will hold up better in rainy weather & it will dry faster, it packs in the snake skin (minus the pad, but allegedly that can be also forced in) and weights about the same as most 3season UQs + there is no down uq for that price apart from diy. while i don't have experience w/ it in freezing temps, some ppl went to 18F adding space blankets, garlington insulators and pads (a space blanket is a must apparently, but that's ok imho).
i am usually not camping in those temperatures and would probably buy a jrb nest, a mt washington convertible or any 2/3-3/4 size down UQ if i did... and use the ss anyway :-) i'm very picky and love comfort and the ss is great so far - i only clocked 5 nights, 50F being the record so i'm a rookie tho. if you buy the ss don't forget to also order the over cover for $40 just in case i reckon.

Alan
01-09-2011, 10:36
I've been playing with my SS this past week and have successfully rigged the SS to both my Blackbird and Trek Light Gear double.

Silverlion
01-09-2011, 14:00
I like my SS. For what I have needed it for, it's great. Only time I had issues was when I slept in my 0* bag rather than using it as a TQ. I also haven't used it under 30*. Mainly because I don't care for camping any colder than that. I'm a wimp. Well, that and I really like my Tempur-Pedic bed and goose down comforter......and my warm wife.

OutandBack
01-09-2011, 15:29
Have both SS and down UQ's. Find that I use the UQs more frequently. Both systems work.

2X IF your plan is to have a 4 season hammock kit I highly recommend both.

If your plan is just 3 season I prefer the HHSS. The SS gives you excellent side protection from wind and blowing rain.

wetcatcarl
02-24-2011, 00:35
im going out again this weekend with my ss. i used it this past weekend and my feet were cold. my space blanket also moved around a bit. there were winds tho of 50 mph and it was 0 degrees with windchill. i wasnt the warmest but my bag was only good for 30. ill let you know in a few days how it goes. its suppose to be in the mid 20s. i have a 15 degree bag synthetic. i also sleep with clothes on.

Spogatz
02-24-2011, 10:18
I like Shugs idea of haveing a small piece of CCF to put under your feet. Also comes in handy when your sitting on the ground or even to soften up a rock.

BillyBob58
02-24-2011, 18:47
im going out again this weekend with my ss. i used it this past weekend and my feet were cold. my space blanket also moved around a bit. there were winds tho of 50 mph and it was 0 degrees with windchill. i wasnt the warmest but my bag was only good for 30. ill let you know in a few days how it goes. its suppose to be in the mid 20s. i have a 15 degree bag synthetic. i also sleep with clothes on.

Whoa! You did zero ( Fahrenheit ?) wind chill- in 50 mph winds- using a 30F bag- and all you had was cold feet? What was the actual temp, not counting wind chill? Did you use a space blanket?

Sounds to me like you did GREAT! Was this one of the new SS buys from the current sale? We need to get a thread going to see how all the folks who bought one are doing.

I have recently noticed that the knee area pad loop on mine are about 1 foot too close to the foot end. This causes a gap that might lead to cold legs or feet. I find mine is working better by not running the HH side tie out cord through the pad loops, contours to legs much better. Even better, running a cord from the pad right side loop up to my RL ( I have no net), this works perfectly.

blisterboy
02-24-2011, 19:36
used mine at the PA Marion Brooks Hang last weekend and it worked great. 5f bag with fleece liner. I will have to check but I think we had 17f at night. No cold feet or butt.

wetcatcarl
02-25-2011, 12:13
i used a space blanket. i mean i was cold but considering what i was working with i was expecting to be colder. i had a layer of under armor and then pants. just some zip at the knee wind proof ones. i was able to sleep but woke up every couple of hours. i think that duct taping the space blanket in place would help. it tended to move around. this time i have a ccf pad im gonna put under my feet. it was one of the new ones. i just got it prolly last week.

Dice
02-25-2011, 13:58
I really like the SS. I like the versatility of it. The problem with most UQs, is that they are just that, UQs. Nothing more (in regards to sleeping in the hammock. I know some of the JRB quilts are wearable) If you need more insulation underneath, you buy another one.
With the SS, you can put whatever you want in the undercover to add more insulation. You don't have to keep with the included pad. You can store your coat, extra clothes, etc. underneath of you each adding extra warmth. This is stuff you would be carrying with you anyway, so it is actually a pretty efficient system.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could even put an UQ in there as well, if you so desired. The combination of the two should give you quite a bit of insulation. I have thought about that a bit and I would love to try it out. I'm even tempted to pick up a down comforter from overstock.com or somewhere like that for $25-$30 just to try it out. It wouldn't need to be anything incredible for testing purposes...

Anyway, there's my $.02. I believe Shug and his buddy (I forget his name) still have the record for cold weather hang (-26 I believe?) and his buddy was using the SS. So, both are good systems, just depends on your preference. You have a HH, so, my opinion, you can't go wrong with the SS.

Enjoy!

BillyBob58
02-25-2011, 14:53
i used a space blanket. i mean i was cold but considering what i was working with i was expecting to be colder. i had a layer of under armor and then pants. just some zip at the knee wind proof ones. i was able to sleep but woke up every couple of hours. i think that duct taping the space blanket in place would help. it tended to move around. this time i have a ccf pad im gonna put under my feet. it was one of the new ones. i just got it prolly last week.

Thanks for the info. Not that the most basic HHSS was ever advertised to be warm way below freezing anyway. More like just into the 30s, though easily augmented for lower temps. But, as to the cold feet, observe how the leg end is working for you as far as that foot end pad loop being ( on mine) a good foot too far towards the pad foot end and away from the UC exit holes and hammock elastic tie out points.

Any one else noticed this? It causes way too much tension on the pad loop, pulling it away from the foot end and causing the pad to "buckle". Which results in a gap under my legs, which could lead to cold legs or feet. I have not noticed being cold, but temps have been pretty warm since I got mine. Mine works way better by not running the elastic cord through the loop on the foot(right) end.

Of course, no reason not to use a leg pad in any hammock/quilt to boost warmth, since I usually have one with me any way.

JaxHiker
02-25-2011, 15:08
I've used my SS down to about 15 w/o any problems. I keep thinking about getting a UQ but so far haven't really found a reason to spend the extra money. I can't see cramming the pad in with the snakeskins, though.

BB, I'll have to see about the pad pulling away. I haven't really paid attention.

AA1PR
02-27-2011, 15:40
I got the SS or 4 season insulation system and have to say Caveat emptor.

I find it totally worthless

I called HH to complain and they did not seem to even care.

ChrisH
02-27-2011, 22:49

Are you setting it up correctly? I'm sure somebody here can help you out. You could also sell it here on the forum if you wanted to. Or....you can send it to me and I'll make good use of it.:lol:

soledoctor
05-19-2011, 12:27
I recently had a chance to try out the SS and it did keep me warm into the 20's one windy night with the pad and space blanket.

Someone mentioned stuffing other materials in the undercover, has anyone used an extra sleeping bag in there and what would be the difference with that compared to an UQ.

Im leaning towards an UQ for ease of use, I didnt like having the set up multiple things to stay warm. Space and weight not an issue for me at this time.

Thanks for any input.

Dice
05-19-2011, 22:07

A little explanation here would be nice. Just a blanket statement of its "worthlessness" is not helpful at all. Obviously there are quite a few people on here that have had great success with the SS just as it is advertised.

So, why? What was the problem? What else were you using for insulation? Top quilt? Sleeping bag? Blanket? Did you have problems installing it? Give us something and maybe we can help you out. If you have a legitimate review, post it. That's what this thread is all about. Honest, helpful opinions.

This forum is full of super nice, super helpful people.

So, no offense intended. Im just trying to set the proper expectations of how this forum works. If you have a valid review or if you are looking for help then you are in the right place.

But if you are just looking for a place to drop hateful comments with no substantiation, then caveat scriptor, there's no place for that here.

NewtonGT
05-20-2011, 00:10
I think with anything new there is a trial and error period. but ive found great comfort in my SS

BillyBob58
05-20-2011, 08:38
I notice that AA1PR's post (in Feb) shows a location of "Vermont Mountains". That might mean it was being tested at temps way colder the basic SS's rating. Maybe using it even way below zero? I know some folks have managed to use it way colder than the ~ 30s at which I have used the non-augmented SS, and I am impressed when I see their results. In fact, I am impressed once again just reading back through this thread and seeing some of the results even new(to HHSS) folks have been getting. Still, I don't think TH claims anything much more than about 30 for 1 pad, Uc and space blanket, more or less. Which I still think is just fine for the weight and price, considering full length and extra wind/water protection included. But remember, even when kwpapke did his famous minus 27 test with Shug, he was NOT using just the basic 1 pad system. But he was taking advantage of a great SS benefit, the ability to easily augment when needed. He had plenty in the UC under the HH pad. Still, he was plenty warm at minus 27 so it can be done with a little thinking and planning.